Montana 600 PC connection problem

crackandthump

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've a secondhand 600. As a stand alone item it fully functional, and the adding on maps via sd card no problem. It also charging fine on my bike mount.

However. When connected to a PC via the USB cable the unit keeps bleeping and asking me if I want to switch to battery power or turn off in 30 seconds. If I press to switch to battery, it accesses this command and then immediately bleeps and repeats the battery option count down. Needless to say at no point is the unit recognised by a PC or an external charging symbol initiated on the unit screen. Makes it difficult to re-register, or add PC downloaded tracks etc.

I've tried several garmin leads, as this didn't come with its original, but I'm not expecting this garmin's data transfer/charging lead to be unique.
I've tried it a different PC. ( although the other PC did indicate that the power limit for that USB port had been exceeded)
I've tried the mass storage reset as per the manual, but no luck.

My thoughts are now focusing on the unit mini usb connection in the device....is this knackered?

Or is there anybody who has had the same problem and found a DIY solution. ?

Mark

It uses any bog standard lead so I suspect your connector on the device may indeed be at fault. Despite their more solid appearance the type of USB connector used on the Montana is actually more fragile than the smaller kind used by Android phones for example. This is because in the latter, flexible pins are in the lead, whereas in the former, they are in the device and it is these that tend to wear and while replacing a lead is no big deal replacing the connector in a device is more of a problem.

The devise was used by in a van before I got it. It was powered off an in-car charge through the usb, so I'm guessing it knackered . I'll send it to a SATNAV repair shop, for a new usb port. Quoted at about £35 quid.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom