Motorbikes subject to Ldn congestion charge

I wonder how much it would cost to reposition the cameras so that they can get bike plates?
I have a feeling that this is just a list of ideas that has been drawn up and is there just as one of those things they can throw away to show that they are willing to listen.
Not going to stop me mailing Red Ken though, just in case.

I agree with the comment that it is not worth to re-postion all those cameras for the return on charging bikes. Probably the tabloids during there usual hype story. If charging did ever get to bikes the full charge would not be applied.
There is far more money to be made by upping the charge fee for no capital expenditure. I work in Kensington and am looking forward to the charge being applied here, the area will be much quieter for we bikers.

Just great! They should be encouraging biking in order to relieve congestion rather than putting people off! :mad:

So....

Quote - Transport bosses say the option has been mooted to reduce road casualties because key government safety targets are almost certain to be missed.

Ermmmmm....nothing to do with resolving congestion and pollution issues then as was the original plan? talk about moving the goal post.... :rolleyes:, it isn't mobile in those offices but positively motorised.

I am given to understand that there is graffiti in a major London railway public loo which says:

"Is there intelligent life in red ken's office?"

and some one wrote underneath...

"Yes, but I'm just passing through..." :p

Says it all :D

I really bloody hope it's just hype. I can't help thinking it's in the post though. As far as bikes go, it's got nothing at all to do with safety or congestion - if they can find a way of making it pay, they will do it - simple as that. Ten years ago no-one would've said that normal congestion charging could work - and now they are making millions out of it. :(

Rather than believe Evening Shite, I emailed Ken and my own GLA representative. Just received the following response:

Dear Bonjeroo

I have checked with the Mayor' s office there are no proposals to charge two wheelers. The Evening Standard is innaccurate on this story. The Mayor will be issuing some corrections to this misinformation. So you can rest assured that you will not be Congestion Charged for your bike!

Best wishes

Valerie

Valerie Shawcross AM
LONDON Assembly Member
Lambeth & Southwark

Rather than believe Evening Shite, I emailed Ken and my own GLA representative. Just received the following response:
Dear Bonjeroo

I have checked with the Mayor' s office there are no proposals to charge two wheelers. The Evening Standard is innaccurate on this story. The Mayor will be issuing some corrections to this misinformation. So you can rest assured that you will not be Congestion Charged for your bike!

Best wishes

Valerie

Valerie Shawcross AM
LONDON Assembly Member
Lambeth & Southwark

Hoorah!! Thats cheered me up. Cheers Bonjaroo.

Just read the story on the standard as well....sure there isn't a grain of truth in there somewhere....

Associated Press apologise to teh Mayor's Office...that'll be the day....:D

It's a little disturbing that the evening standard article is actually published on the Mayor of London website, and there's nothing on there to suggest it's not true - are you sure that local GLA woman knows what she's on about? Luckily I only work two minutes walk inside the cc zone, so I'll just have to park outside it, but I'm sure the campaign against bikers getting stung would be too big for Ken to stand - 31,000 bikes could cause a lot of congestion if they all parked up in the west end at the same time!!

I think a go slow on a monday rush hour will be in order around Parliament Square if they do go ahead...

Something is in the air - i did a market research last year, for TFL, regarding C-charge for bikes, one of the questions they asked was if they put in secure parking bays for bikes, would you mind paying congestion charge, all the bikers said no, but they kept putting different scenerios to us, trying to find one that we were least resistant to -

after the session was over, the interviewer said they were looking into finding some sort of charging system, if not for riding, then perhaps parking !

OK - I did mine - it follows in case anyone wants to copy and paste into an email. Don't know if it's any good, or too aggressive, but this is my attempt. I put the bit about a similar charge, so that they can't wriggle out of it by saying no to the CC and then introducing an 'anti-accident charge' or a 'ptw charge'!:

I believe you're the rep for my area (LBWF) on the London assembly. I'm wondering if you can tell me a bit more about the recent article in the London Evening Standard which suggested that TFL are considering introducing a congestion charge for motorcycles in response to an increase in the number of accidents involving powered two wheelers (PTW) in London.

I would be grateful if you could answer directly the following questions:

1 - Is the congestion charge OR any similar charge likely to be introduced for PTW's?
2 - If so, how will it be enforced?
3 - If a charge for congestion, how can the Mayor / TFL justify such a move when PTWs cause little or no congestion?
4 - Is the mayor / TFL aware of how politically dangerous such a move would be, on the basis that many PTW users travel on two wheels because they cannot afford the exorbitant cost or unreliability and inconvenience of travelling by public transport?

May I also take this opportunity to point out the strength of community among riders of PTWs and that I cannot imagine any move to raise revenue from them will be taken lightly by that community.

Back
Top Bottom