Quest mounting bracket - Update???

Beemer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone got any news or updates on when the Garmin Quest mounting bracket will be available? I'm referring to the one with the hard wired power lead and audio socket . I've currently got the RAM one which is excellent but I'm keen on hard wiring and some audio.

Cheers
Steve

It's out apparently......someone posted about it just before this weekend......I was going to call TT today but didn't get a chance.

This appears to be the kiddy;

Attachments

• untitled-1.gif
    untitled-1.gif
    8 KB · Views: 322
Ta for that Bill, I'll call them tomorrow.

Fanum said:
It's out apparently......someone posted about it just before this weekend......

Me.

Put it all together at the weekend. It's fiddly to get the screws and washers etc on with the MVG version, and I think you'll need to take the vanilla mount apart to do this as there's even less clearance.

I stuck a meter across the power line before putting the quest on, and it was giving 4.98v, so it seems to be accurate enough, given it's slightly Heath-Robinson appearance.

I haven't tried the autocom side of it yet, as it has a mono 2.5 mm socket.
Still waiting for Autocom to post out the phone splitter and 2.5mm lead.

Haven't chopped the din plug off yet, but it's all getting wired in tidily under the tank eventually.

ianf said:
Me.

Put it all together at the weekend. It's fiddly to get the screws and washers etc on with the MVG version, and I think you'll need to take the vanilla mount apart to do this as there's even less clearance.

Sorry but what is the MVG version and also the vanilla mount? Any chance of a pic? I've got the RAM bracket at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

MvG is the one with extra shock absorbers built in for serious adventure riders.

Seems Touratech aren't selling enough of the specially adapted GPSR's anymore so they've gone the route of making a seriously overengineered bike mount outrageously over-engineered.

I'm currently running a RAM mount for the Quest and a Garmin mount for the 2610 both on the Migsel mount and I've had nothing untoward occur to mine.

Ran with the 'vanilla' TT mount on my SPIII and had no vibe problems there either and that was over a year, my GPSV ran on a vanilla TT mount and all was well there but that was probably due to it being a TT modded one :rolleyes:

I saw the Garmin Quest cable fitted to a bike last week, they are having supply problems but then they have had a unit on sale for 6 months without one so there was bound to be some interest :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well, it's really just insurance against it getting damaged by shock. There were a couple of Quests reported dead on here before I bought the bracket.

Here's a prior thread on the subject.

RAM Quest Cables

If you have the RAM mount for the quest cable and can wait until mid May, RAM-man is sorting out some custom cables which will supply a sound out socket and a power line to attach to the RAM mount (see other threads on this topic). They will be available via GPS Warehouse, I believe. Sounds like a good route and cheaper than replacing your entire mount with the expensive and rare Garmin unit. You also lose the ability to fold back the quest's antenna into the body of the unit if it is mounted on the Garmin cradle, which is a definate advantage the Ram cradle gives you.

RAM-man, would you care to tantalise us with further details of the spec and expected availability of the RAM quest cable combo? It's top of my must buy list before my summer tour to France at the end of May.

Paul

Re: RAM Quest Cables

SilentG said:
If you have the RAM mount for the quest cable and can wait until mid May, RAM-man is sorting out some custom cables which will supply a sound out socket and a power line to attach to the RAM mount (see other threads on this topic). They will be available via GPS Warehouse, I believe. Sounds like a good route and cheaper than replacing your entire mount with the expensive and rare Garmin unit. You also lose the ability to fold back the quest's antenna into the body of the unit if it is mounted on the Garmin cradle, which is a definate advantage the Ram cradle gives you.

RAM-man, would you care to tantalise us with further details of the spec and expected availability of the RAM quest cable combo? It's top of my must buy list before my summer tour to France at the end of May.

Paul

Paul thanks for that, I'm happy to wait except, like you, we're off to France, in June, and I need something sorted by then.

I rang TT this morning and I'm not sure their cable will be compatable with the RAM Quest bracket. I would like to hold on to the RAM bracket as it is extremely secure.

Cheers

Steve

I had a converstaion with Steve (Ram-Man) and Adrian (GPSW boss) when I visited last week and while I may have heard something similar to what SilentG has just posted I cannot confrim this because they asked me not to.

So I'll leave it to Ram-Man to confirm or deny a conversation ever took place, or indeed that I was ever there at all ;)

Re: Re: RAM Quest Cables

Beemer said:
Paul thanks for that, I'm happy to wait except, like you, we're off to France, in June, and I need something sorted by then.

I rang TT this morning and I'm not sure their cable will be compatable with the RAM Quest bracket. I would like to hold on to the RAM bracket as it is extremely secure.

Cheers

Steve
I think given the converstion I didn't have your timescales should be OK.

Failing that unless you are camping your hotel should provide adequate charging opportunity shouldn't it?

Re: Re: Re: RAM Quest Cables

judge said:
I think given the converstion I didn't have your timescales should be OK.

Failing that unless you are camping your hotel should provide adequate charging opportunity shouldn't it?

Given the conversation you didn't have regarding a piece of kit that I dont need, for a holiday that I'm not going on, in a French mobile home that will not have power to recharge a Garmin Quest that I do not own, I'm very happy with your last post Andy.

Right, I'm off to buy a motorcycle now, fancy one of those 1150GS things, never owned one of those!!!:D

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: RAM Quest Cables

judge said:
Totally overrated but I can't remember who told me that :D

You want one of those nice R1100S bikes ;)

Paul
(I'll get me coat)

Judge - pls read PM from RAM-man and see you Thursday as you come around the M25.

IanF - I would like to see image of the TT cable and quality

SilentG and et all..

The GPSW Quest power lead is still happening. I had shall make announcement in mid-April but as you are all eager, here's an update.

The unit shall only fit onto the RAM GA15 cradle (not TT or Garmin bike mount).
The electronic bits shall be 'sandwiched' between the RAM cradle and RAM diamond base - no need to tie-wrap it to the bike frame etc. One short lead with the Quest moulded connector mates into the RAM cradle, held by a screw (not TORX), one short lead with female 3.5mm jack socket. Longer power lead with P plug and then second version with longer bare wire for other bike makes.

As soon I can get a pics I shall post a new thread with more exacting details.

Its should ship between mid to end of May 05, not earlier.

RAM-man

Thank you for your candor Steve. I look forward to making a purchase around the beginning of June.

Cheers

Steve

RAM-man said:
Judge - pls read PM from RAM-man and see you Thursday as you come around the M25.

IanF - I would like to see image of the TT cable and quality

SilentG and et all..

The GPSW Quest power lead is still happening. I had shall make announcement in mid-April but as you are all eager, here's an update.

The unit shall only fit onto the RAM GA15 cradle (not TT or Garmin bike mount).
The electronic bits shall be 'sandwiched' between the RAM cradle and RAM diamond base - no need to tie-wrap it to the bike frame etc. One short lead with the Quest moulded connector mates into the RAM cradle, held by a screw (not TORX), one short lead with female 3.5mm jack socket. Longer power lead with P plug and then second version with longer bare wire for other bike makes.

As soon I can get a pics I shall post a new thread with more exacting details.

Its should ship between mid to end of May 05, not earlier.

RAM-man

Hi, having just taken delivery of my quest/Ram mount/Ram Cradle combination (also from GPSW) i'm kinda new to this whole thing......

Sounds like this cable is EXACTLY what i'm looking for, i'm excited by prospect of May... and wondering if there is anywhere i can "officially" log my interest and "pre-order" ?????

thanks,

Stu.

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom