HD Street 750

Dozer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My wife just bought a brand new Street 750. I cant see how HD make a penny out of it, £5700?

I know they are made in India and the quality is not quite as good as the Milwaukee bikes but that's a lot of bike for the money. She had a Vance and Hines put on it as part of the deal. Ive taken it out and its great, actually feels kind of Japanese, nothing like my Road King, which is way slower too.

Attachments

• 2016-01-16 10.07.03.jpg
    2016-01-16 10.07.03.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 263
My wife just bought a brand new Street 750. I cant see how HD make a penny out of it, £5700?

Err...haven't you answered your own question? :D

I know they are made in India ....

And this is why the West is fucked........ we* buy "cheap" stuff made in Countries were the labour rate and living standards low are then complain about "low wages" in this country...go figure.....

* I am not excluding myself here.

The training school I work for had a meeting with the local HD dealership yesterday as they want us to partner them to do training for their customers. They want us to buy these bikes for student training as part of the deal; the boss has given them an emphatic no due to their unknown quality and the fact that they are non-abs. We use Suzuki Gladius and at the moment they are on offer at £4400 including heated grips, so for us it is a no-brainer.

I hope your wife enjoys the bike but I think she will have to stay on top of it as I think the Indian steel will rot in front of her eyes.

I've still got my old Harley T-shirts form the early 90's ......... they don't fit, but they do make fine cleaning rags :thumb

Congratulations to Mrs Dozer! In addition to needing to hit a price point Harley desperately wanted a lighter weight motorcycle for their very popular rider training schools because they had been using old Buell Blasts. They are now using the Street 500 with special made large tip over protective bars. To be honest I don't know how well they're selling over here but I've not heard of any problems other than something with a brake which has been upgraded for 2016.

She had a Honda Shadow 750 for a while but couldn't get on with the riding position as she was used to a Norton Commando. She got on the street 750 and it just 'fit', which is pretty much what happens to everyone. For the money its great.

Shes well chuffed with it, she tried a sportster and didn't like it as shes only 5 foot 6, the Street is a really low seat height and really easy to chuck about as she rides like a bloke (She should do as she grew up with the NCC).

All she needs to do now is avoid the Sunday morning Outlaw Accountants at Black Bear HD on their 20k Fat Boys....

This bike is no more HD than I am a fucking monkey.....It is another sell out to the god of consumerism and the cheap Brits, everyone knows what we want and it is mostly cheap.
I hope she enjoys the bike though, it looks very appealing in a Hindu kind of way:beerjug:

Like I said, the quality isn't where u would expect it to be, but neither is the price, shes happy with it. Also, I doubt it will ever see rain in case it dissolves!

HD have to do something as their customer base is dwindling every year and we are getting older and fatter. 20 somethings don't want fat boys and electraglides, they want café racers and Triumph Street triples etc (see the Bikeshed in Tobacco Dock in London for an example). Also theres the whole 'kids leave home, mortgage paid, buy Harley, have heart attack etc' image thing to lose.

I know this personally from the mouth of my 24 year old son... Ive got a garage full of bikes, including 2 big twin Harleys. The only ones hes interested in are the 75 Guzzi Cafe Racer and the Norton 961, the big Harleys are 'Grandads bikes', but he likes her 750, cheeky git. To be fair, his street triple is an outstanding piece of kit. Hes not keen on GSs either, too big and too heavy, but he may become a grown up eventually.....

Something interesting I didn't know....... for the US/Canada Market the bikes are built (totally) in the US...everyone else is blessed with Indian quality......

Street's are built at the VRod factory in Missouri with some parts from India. (I'm not clear exactly what parts?) I'm sure Harley's labor union insisted on this compromise as they must have excess capacity at the VRod factory, I seldom see a VRod on the road and I've not heard of any dealers that sell many.

Street's are built at the VRod factory in Missouri with some parts from India. (I'm not clear exactly what parts?) I'm sure Harley's labor union insisted on this compromise as they must have excess capacity at the VRod factory, I seldom see a VRod on the road and I've not heard of any dealers that sell many.

I can't see them duplicating all the tooling in the US and India as the company is run by accountants. My guess is all the big stuff, engine, frame etc is imported and assembled so they can stamp "Made in USA" on it for the home market. The switchgear, brakes, wheels etc are bought in for all their models and the Street will be no exception.
A mate has just got one as a runaround alongside his '97 softail and he's loving it.

The dealer stated categorically that the 2016 UK models are 100% made in India... Originally it was a bit of both, USA and India, but all new ones are Indian, Lind HD say.

HD always made sure that details like cables were tidied away, the 750 doesn't have that, with cables and plugs all visible and pretty ugly to be honest. But she loves it, and to be fair, ive done 50 or so miles on it and its a lot of fun.... Great revvy little engine and with the V&H exhaust option, it has a nice rasp to it too.

I'm probably a bit too old for it though, and not a Hipster, as I understand its become a bit of a favourite with Graphic Designers in Shoredich, to complement the check shirt/sleeve tattoos/NHS replica glasses/turned up skinny jeans and vintage leather jacket/Café Racer motorcycle.... I assume because the customisation options are limitless....

...as I understand its become a bit of a favourite with Graphic Designers in Shoredich, to complement the check shirt/sleeve tattoos/NHS replica glasses/turned up skinny jeans and vintage leather jacket/Café Racer motorcycle.... I assume because the customisation options are limitless....

You've just described Pingu, that's right up his strasse now you know. :D

Back
Top Bottom