My day out

tuftywhite

getting away with it so far!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I don't know where to post this so if a moderator wants to put it somewhere more suitable please feel free.

I had a ride out on my 1200GS today, despite the appalling weather. It didn't miss a beat, despite going wheel deep through some floods.

My first mission was to Villiers Services in Dudley. I wanted to exchange an ignition coil I'd bought for my Dad's Dot for a complete electronic ignition thingy. It was a great experience.

The chap at Villiers Services knows Villiers engines. It almost seemed like he knew each and every one, individually, on first name terms. A walking encyclopaedia. I always feel humbled in the presence of these sorts of people. Expertly knowledgeable in their field.

He then asked me a technical question to which I had to reply something along the lines of "I've got this far in a conversation, now I have to inform you that I'm actually an idiot."

If you're interested in anything Villiers related, it's worth a visit.

By the time I arrived in Dudley I was wet. My 15 year old HG jacket hasn't really been waterproof for a fair while, whilst my 8 year old Frank Thomas gloves were sponges, this was the first time they had just given up. However, I needed to be in Royal Leamington Spa to meet my wife, daughter and niece for lunch.

I thrust my hands into the cold gloves and turned the heated grips to much. Broiled hands. Mmmmmm.

After a lovely lunch in RLS I thought I should buy some gloves for the journey home. Not as extravagant as it seems as I was thinking of replacing the FT gloves. A quick search on the phone (yes, the phone Derek) brought up Fentons.

I rode to Fentons and parked in the bike parking bit of the carpark directly behind. Fentons is an old fashioned bike shop. Size of an old high street shop. I think, a Suzuki dealer.

They had a fair range of clothing and accessories upstairs. The great thing about Fentons was the service. Obviously, being gobby, I got into a bit of a chat with the staff and a customer, told them why I needed the gloves. Here's the thing. They knew I was soaked and was travelling to Notts. Firstly, I was offered a cup of tea to warm up, (I'd just eaten so I didn't partake) I was also offered the use of the toilets before my journey home.

It still shows that really good customer service and an understanding of a motorcyclist's needs. Just that gave me a warm feeling for the start of the journey home.

It was great to get home and drip all over the kitchen floor. 180 miles, blown sideways some of the way.

What a lovely day out.

Did yer see Paul at DMWs old factory David.
Not been there for ages They had a friggin stuffed polar bear in the entrance to the factory. It were stood up and yer could just reach to get yer hand into its jaws. Friggin huge it were

Like Earthmover I had a ride over to ABW to listen to Bilco talking about the States.
T'were proper sodden there and back.
And for the first time ever my Sidi Adventures LEAKED!!:eek::eek:

Good to know Fenton's are still going! I used to use them regularly in the late eighties when I lived in RLS (Bath Street, just the other side of Tatchbrook Rd from them) great people to deal with back then too!

tufty, were any chips consumed on this epic adventure? All adventures must involve the consumption of chips. Tis the law.

Had a ride with Wolfrunner and a few other Legion Bikers to Heartshead Services on the M62 to remember those killed in the coach bombing by the IRA 42 years ago. Quite a few folk there.

The dead included two children aged 2 and 5.

At least the weather was dry, although very cold, for the trip and we got home before it started pissing it down again.

Back
Top Bottom