Registering an imported bike..

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping that clearing agent will import my r1200gsa '10 bike at Dublin Airport and have it delivered out to my home in Dublin in the next week or so. Can anyone tell me exactly what I then should do to register it? The bike will be imported under change of residence so I believe I will not pay duty or vrt.

Do I need to go to Deansgrange NCT for inspection?

Can I insure it with Carole Nash without Reg no. for purpose of NCT visit?

Advice appreciated!

Lots of reading here. Axa insured me on a UK plate which lasts for a month until I re-register.

Where and when do I apply?
If you are transferring residence from within the EU, you must make an application to your local Revenue Office within seven days of the vehicle arriving in the State.

If you are transferring residence from outside the EU, you must lodge your application when importing the vehicle at the Customs Office at the point of arrival in the State.

What forms must I complete?
In the case of a transfer of residence within the EU, Form VRT TOR - Transfer of Residence from within the EU - Application and Declaration for Relief from Vehicle Registration Tax

In the case of a transfer of residence from outside the EU, Form C&E 1076 - Transfer of Residence from outside the EU - Application and Declaration for Exemption from Import Charges and Vehicle Registration Tax

Where do I Register?
The National Car Testing Service (NCTS) has been appointed by the Revenue Commissioners to carry out a range of vehicle registration functions on their behalf. From 1st September 2010, to register a vehicle, you must first book an appointment at an NCTS centre to have the vehicle examined and pay the VRT due (and other tax liabilities as appropriate). A map with locations of the NCTS centres accepting appointments is here.

You can make an appointment through one of the following methods:

On-line: www.ncts.ie/VRT
Telephone Lo call number: 1890 927 787
Write to the NCTS at:
Vehicle Registration Tax Booking,
Lakedrive 3026,
Citywest Business Campus,
Naas Road,
Dublin 24.

Hi Colm,

Thanks for that, I am working on the same basis as above. Vehicle is from outside EU. I have a form VRTVPD1 to fill in too.

Any watch-outs / gotchas from experience?

Bin

It's all very straight forward Bin, I brought a bike in from Scotland last year and it was exactly as advertised. In normal circumstances you are being taxed on it, so they have made paying very easy.

Carole Nash insured the bike for a month on the UK reg.

Follow the guidelines and you won't go wrong. You will have to attend an NCT centre for them to examine the paperwork and VIN numbers etc, they will also issue your registration when all is done.

Make up a plate and pay road tax, inform insurance of the new reg and you are done.

Health to enjoy.

Transfer of residence will involve a little more contact with the revenue. All the proof of ownership and "use" will be needed. If you were tax domiciled there then it should be straight forward. I had a client that did it and the revenue boys called back to him after eight months to see the bike and make sure he had not moved it on. I assume it was a quiet day for them or some cnut had mentioned to them that he might try to sell it.

Yes, I think I have the paperwork, we shall see! Thanks again for the advice!

Hi,

Can anyone advise if there is a time limit for registering the bike after importing (paying whatever dues required)?
Or can I keep it in the shed until it suits me to register it, i.e. can I postpone visit to NCT centre?

LB

There used to be a time limit stipulated on the revenues website although I'm not sure how strictly it was reinforced. Other thing is that the tax waiver for change of domicile used to only apply if you owned the vehicle for a minimum period of time which was 6 months or a year, again that was all on the revenue information and seeing as it's over 15 years since I did the change of domicile thing your best to just pore over the revenues website for up to date info.

Spot on answer, thanks. I am hoping bike will be cleared and delivered before next Thu. NCT website does not give hours after 15th...I am flying back here Mon 21st.

Thanks all for advice, all worked out in the end....

Bike cleared customs this afternoon under "change of residence", great work by Atlas Logistics. Hope will be delivered out to house Mon. Have VRT appointment Arklow Wed morning.
Customs were quite "diligent" and required evidence of various things, like proof of working abroad (contract), proof of leaving work abroad (end of contract), owning property abroad (I don't), owning property in Ireland (I do, used mortgage offer letter but deed copy would be better), bike registered and insured in Saudi, no pushover but but all got sewn up in the end. I hope they issued a VRT exemption letter, will find out on Monday.

Since clearing bike on 11/3, it took til today to register it.
To make a long story short, the VRT office in Arklow would not accept that the original Saudi number plate and reg card had been handed in when the bike was de-registered for export. They said they had received Saudi vehicles for reg before which had the number plates attached. Where was my number plate????

After several attempts and over 100 euro spent on translations, still they would not accept that only a vehicle which was driven out on temporary export could retain the number plate. In case of permanent export (i.e. as cargo by air or by sea), the number plate has to be handed in.
I suppose it is hard to understand that in Saudi, the number plate is issued by the Traffic Police, and you cannot go and buy one from a dealer or a shop.

On Monday, my wife rang VRT Admin in Dublin Castle, explained the matter to a helpful man named Des Conway (016475000).
On Tuesday, I received an email from the VRT office Arklow saying the problem had been solved.
On Thursday, my long-suffering pal went to the VRT office Arklow for the 3rd time and was able to register the bike.
I suspect the issue was with the VRT office in Rosslare who make the decisions for the office in Arklow NCT Center.
The lady in the Arklow office was helpful, and did not require the bike to be re-presented once she had inspected it at the first visit.

Happy ending but what a carry-on.

Bin

Back
Top Bottom