Scooters across the desert - Presentation & Info

Mucky Helmet

All

As mentioned by Fanum at the end of last week, I'm tasked with putting together a presentation and information pack for the 2006 UKGSer Challenge, more fondly known as "Tossers In The Sahara".

I'm going to be picking Bill's brains, a challenge in itself, for purpose, general plan, etc., but would like to know what you want as well.

I understand that some of you need the information to secure time off work, some for talking about sponsorship, etc..

Please can you use this thread to state your "wish list" for presentation and information pack.

Some questions I'd like you to consider as well:

How long do you think it should be?
How much information do you want?
Any specific audiences that need targetting?
Do you want notes included with slides?
Formats? Probably MS Powerpoint but may be PDF.
How would you like it distributed?

The presentation and information pack will roughly mirror each other but the information pack will carry more detailed information.

Both documents will be considered "live" and be subject to change as more information is added.

If anyone would prefer to supply information or ask questions outside of this thread, please PM me and I'll be more than happy to supply email and 'phone numbers.

Also, I've had a brief discussion with Fanum about planning.

/work mode on

At the moment there's two milestones: Leaving for Banjul and planned arrival.
It would be very helpul to the organisers if there was some formality on planning and breakdown of what's what and when it's happening. Ideally there'll be one place for all to go to determine the current situation. Everything from bikes to visas to jabs to food to flights to spares to fuel to kit...you get the point.........needs identifying and tracking so nothing gets left to chance and people don't duplicate effort. Hopefully, we can build a level of financial tracking in as well. It may also help secure funding, donations or help if we can show we're approaching this in a planned & controlled manner.

/work mode off

So, for those that have an urgent requirement, please let me know what you need and when you need it by. Also, please take into consideration the questions above.

I plan to get the first draft out for mid next week on account most of you will be heading to Lands End for the weekend and will probably need a little time to recover.

Please let me know if there's anything I've left out or something you think will help. I'm open to all offers, not "that" type though!

Thanks all and have a great time in Lands End!

David

Right a few things. I know some of them have already been raised in your original post.

1) A list of appropriate websites we can point sponsors at.

2) A hard copy document giving an overview of what it's all about that we can hand to potential sponsors.

3) Some sort of timeline giving significant dates e.g initial presentation, start date of rally, dates and destinations during rally, return journey

4) Checklist of what we might need e.g. insurance, jabs etc.

5) A list of what's needed e.g. bikes, medical supplies, spares etc.

PDFs might work out better as some people mught not have Powerpoint but can always get a pdf reader.

What about creating a separate forum where "wants and needs" can be split into themed threads? People can say what they can sort out. We shouldn't get any duplication then.

Reckon that's it for now.

Cheers

Dick

I need the document to give to my company. It would be good if it fulfilled both my needs first to back up my request for the time off and secondly to support my plea for corporate sponsorship.

I’d like it to give information of the charity aims of the trip detailing the beneficiaries and what they will gain out of our efforts.

A timeline showing the run up and the actual stages of the journey there and back.

PDF, Word or PowerPoint would be fine.

Thanks for your efforts David :)

#Nice one Mucky ;)

The document David is working on s going to be for the benefit of employers,potential sponsors, friends and family......

Stuff like jabs, visas, flights, what kit to take, and any other 'internal' stuff will probably be best adresed in the email circular that will be started of as soon as we have a final list of riders and support crew.

That said, all we have to go on is what we know from this year's trip, what we picked up from other teams and a liberal dose of bullshit thrown in for good measure....

David won't be able to be too specific about the dates yet either....the actual official event dates haven't been announced yet so at the moment we're going on previous year's dates- the alternative is to just do it independantly so we can set our own start and finish dates....we lose the 'oomph' that being an official 'Plymouth -Banjul' team might carry, but it would give us more flexibility.

I'm happy to do it independantly....as far as I'm concerned,we're going to Banjul on scooters in January next year regardless, but for publicity purposes (thus donation raising potential) I'd rather be an official entry in what has become a fairly well known event now.

8 months and counting.

;)

Bill

Jaq said:
Bill, tried to pm you, but your mailbox is choccers and won't accept new pms...

Cleared again...it's something I'm having to do almost daily at the moment.....Email's better usually Jaq- bill.oates*at*ntlworld.com

:)

Bill- now I realise what you were harping about.

It sounds b***dy crazy to me especially on C90's to boot. My BP is racing at the thought - get me matron.

On a serious note I helped the London - Dakar Rally World Cup Rally back in Jan and a Moggy Minor (split windscreen) made it the full distance and I watched stutter getting over the start ramp.Chris Bruce - a veteran of this, published two pdf docs which were informed as well as useful, let me know if you need a copy.

As for C90's... I am aware of the Buttman ride but on a C90, it will be a 'Pile' driver.

Best of luck.

RAM-man

Yes please Steve..any info we can glean anything from would be great!!!

Easiest way is bill.oates*at*ntlworld.com

Many thanks ;)

The Piledriver tour

Bill,

I sent you a 'pm' today with 2 pdf files, read or discard as needs must.

RAM-man

Back
Top Bottom