Struggling importing trips and losing routes when colouring in BaseCamp

Wapping

Reaction score
Cut from another thread, where it would doubtless have got lost.

I don't have the Basecamp gene. It is like it is being deliberately difficult and glitchy.
It can take literally hours to get a trip off my satnav and show it in Basecamp and then sometimes trying to colour different days in different colours can remove parts of the trip, they just disappear. I am sure it can do wonderful things, the problem is that it is plain user unfriendly.
Reminds me of Oracle!

Help please....

Let's see if we can help you out.

When you say "It takes hours" what do you mean? What are you trying to do precisely and how? Are you using a PC or a Mac? What GPS device are you working with?

With most Garmin devices, BaseCamp (or Garmin Express, I forget which) will detect that there is new data on the connected device and ask if you'd like to import it. Click yes and over it will come, in moments. Failing that, select Import and then select what it is you want to import in; it's a reverse of Exporting and should be just as quick and easy.

On the colouring issue:

Are you creating separate routes for each day, which you are looking to colour differenly? For instance, colouring all of day one blue, then all of day two red, then green for day three etc..... How are you doing the colouring? I frequently colour routes in BaseCamp (and did so just as often in Mapsource) with no problems, so it must be easy to do.

The only logical reason for a route to suddenly vanish is if you remove a crucial shaping or waypoint. What are you doing in the colouring process that might cause the route to vanish?

Post back with what you are using, sat nav model, basecamp and or mapsource, pc or mac, and your setings for device and software, the more info you supply the more of a clue anyone will have to try and help.

Right, sorry for the abscence - I have been pootlinh about and now have some lovely fresh routes to put into Basecamp.
I shall write this as I do it so you can see where exactly I am going wrong!!
First things first...
SatNav is a Garmin Nuvi 2595, all updates have been run.
Basecamp version is 4.6.2
SatNav plugged in via USB, PC recognises this and all is well in the world.
Fire up Basecamp..
I expect to create some new 'container' for this new trip so I try creating a new folder as that is the most obvious thing available. I right click on this and would expect some sort of import data from device - nothing. I can create a new adventure though so I give that a go. There is a lot of stuff in there which is dated but I cannot order by date so spend some time going through this to find it can't be what is on my device. Try something else...
With folder selected try File menu option - ooh Import... Explorer window opens so I explore to the device and wade through the folders there until I find a GPX folder containing an archive folder, these files have the correct dates so I select all and hit Open... message reads, cannot open multiple files, so this might work but I will have to do this one file at a time?! Will come back here if I find nothing better...
Try Edit on menu, there is a Create Route does not sound likely but will try it. This tells me I have to create a List which I do and then it turns out it is not the option I am looking for...
Device menu item, Receive from Device, now this does something but only seems to import part of the trip and puts it into another folder too so I'll move it to the right place and carry on. Oh dear I right clicked on it and pressed show on map, that produces a grey canvas with a v low res map of europe and what looks to be a bit of a route. carrying on then...
Find.. nope, View...nope, Tools...nope, Maps...nope, Trip Planner...nope, Create Adventure, same as before... BirdsEye, Sign In, Help.
What I am looking for is not on the main menu. I would have thought that main uses for this software would be, create route and send to sat nav or retreive trips done from Sat Nav that might have been a little more obvious, anyway pressing on...
In the left pane are three parts Library, Garmin Adventures, Devices.
Library contains my folder with its partial route in it, I can right click on this and Create Adventure and now see some relevant data, will see where this goes... I'll select the first item, again not in any time order and no way to reorder perhaps that does not matter..next. I can add Waypoints which might sound like places I have been to but they are not, or I can add tracks and these appear to be the same items as before but this time in date order so I select them all, Next I have to add a name and some required fields... starting to sound unlikely now...I have now created an Adventure... I can now see that part of my trip when I click on that Adventure which is the same as clicking on that file I imported into the folder I created... Rest of trip is who knows where, so carrying on ...
Devices - last pane now... right clicking on Internal Storage gives me a Send To so I give that a go and select the folder I created, nope that has a process bar but does nothing.
So, the only way to get the data is one file at a time so I will return to that, now where was that...
I try importing a few of these and select one in the folder which produces a set of data in a bottom pain clicking on one of these I am expecting a section of route to be displayed which is just what I see! One at a time it has to be then...
After doing a few I check that these are right - yep looks good except it seems that there is a load of old data there too??!! Despite having cleared history from the Sat Nav before setting off, I'll just delete those items...One at a time? Seriously???
Right the whole trip is there now.
I'd like to alternate the colours so it is easy to see each day...
I can select multiple items and join selected tracks, this sounds promising... although the items span more than one of the files no matter. Do I want to delete the original tracks, ummm ok? seeing as I am not interested in seeing how it is broken down moment to moment.
I do this and then shuffle the joined tracks from each file into one and join them - I now have one day of travel as one track in one file. I can right click on this joined set of tracks and Open and change the colour - making progress!
Done!
Now I just want to remove the extra layers from the map to make it easier to see - route labels, country department borders. Menu item View, data filter? nope, nope nope, can't find that in View, Tools? nope. Can't find that anywhere so I export to Google Earth which immediately shows my route.
Time taken... including writing this 1 hr 10 mins.
I don't mind the fiddling time colouring the route - that is just something I want to do but surely File, Import data, Select Device, Select data, Go or something is a common requirement.
If someone has the answer in about 6 clicks I am all ears (figuratively).

There is a cracking little program called Mapsource .... dead simple to use ..... You might want to give it a try ....... :thumby:

Fire up Basecamp
Plug satnav into USB port
Wait patiently for Windows to recognise it
Wait a bit longer for Basecamp to recognise it. With the Zumo range Basecamp reads the map installed on the satnav and this takes time. If you scroll down the top LH panel you'll see the satnav and a green progress line which advances slowly as the map data are read (it does this even when you have the maps stored on your local HDD)
Select icon 'receive from device'. All the routes tracks etc are downloaded into a folder that is created with the device name, and into a list with current date.
Copy and paste items from this list to any other list you wish to create.
Simples!

Back
Top Bottom