Board Ferry Channel Tunnel

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
'Board ferry channel tunnel' so says Basecamp software. It has confused the hell out of me. I've never been on the Chunnel but I'm sure it is in a different place to the ferry port.

Use bing maps

Type in Channel Tunnel terminal Folkstone.

Right click the marker on the map

Copy coordinates

Open Basecamp

Click on find in top menu bar

At bottom of list choose locate coordinates

Paste your coordinates into the box and click create waypoint.

Regards
Rik

Use bing maps

Copy coordinates

Open Basecamp

Regards
Rik

Cheers for that Rik. Bit of advice please. In Basecamp, when I want to edit a small section of route, I can't always seem to rubber band from the point I want to change. I have looked at the videos. Do I have to add a way point at the start and end of the edit and rubber band from those new points? Ta

I find the best way is to zoom in with your map and pick up the route (have the pointer selected not the hand) by clicking the route line and then using "alt + left click mouse button" keep the mouse button selected until you drop the route on the road you want it.

One bit of advice is use your keyboard + and - keys to zoom in when you are about to drop the route on a road so you are high enough zoom to drop it on the actual road or you will find you will drop it maybe up a side road or on a wrong carriageway and then you will be looped around to pass the waypoint. You can still use the + or - keys to zoom while you have your mouse button still pressed.

Do this as many times as you want and the route will create waypoints at the drop point. Here's the important bit as you then drive past these it will announce the points and if you ignore them it will always try to send you back to them (you can ignore them on your Satnave while you are riding via the wheel).

BUT - best way to make them just unannounced drive through points is in Basecamp before you transfer the route (you can do them on the sat nav after but you have to do them individual from the "view route properties" option. So in Basecamp when you have made your route and also dragged your route around on your left should be a menu section and your route will show as an icon and the route name next to it - right click it - then go properties - this will list the route - highlight all the mini waypoints from your dragged route activity ( not your start and finish thought) and right click the selections and choose option - make unannounced. This makes them then just drive by points without the satnav trying to get your to stop at them.

When you transfer the route to your satnav - accept it without selecting changes - when it gives your the option of first waypoint before it would have picked up your first mini waypoint or your routing node as they are known - this now won't it will just have your final destination or an actual waypoint if you set one as a midway point.

I have some PDF instructions with screen shots if you want me to send it to you drop me a Pm with your email and I will send it over.

Rik

Excellent Rik. Many thanks. Pm'd

... highlight all the mini waypoints from your dragged route activity ( not your start and finish thought) and right click the selections and choose option - make unannounced.
Rik

On a related note, how do you apply/change the icon for a waypoint? I have some downloaded GPX files (from RiDE managazine) that has icons such as cafe (knife & fork).

On one occasion, trying to figure this out, I came across some ellipses when I hovered over the waypoint on the map, and I thought that I could change it there, but I do not seem able to replicate that experience.

Right Click the Icon and you should be able to change it from there - Highlight the name and make changes or there is usually a drop down box for the icon.

Rik

Use bing maps

Copy coordinates

Open Basecamp

Regards
Rik

Or you could simply zoom in using Basecamp and mark it directly without using any other maps.

In answer to the OP Garmin calls all these bike on train services ferries

John

Or you could simply zoom in using Basecamp and mark it directly without using any other maps.

In answer to the OP Garmin calls all these bike on train services ferries

John

Really I thought the OP said he thought the terminal was in a different place to where Basecamp was telling him! Must be me that cant compute what I am reading.

Why are you so hell bent on being so obstructive when it comes to offering people some help - no one has said that the help they are offering is the ONLY way or that they themselves are not willing to learn a NEW way.

FFS - we are only trying to help.

Really I thought the OP said he thought the terminal was in a different place to where Basecamp was telling him! Must be me that cant compute what I am reading.

Why are you so hell bent on being so obstructive when it comes to offering people some help - no one has said that the help they are offering is the ONLY way or that they themselves are not willing to learn a NEW way.

FFS - we are only trying to help.

Looks like I touched a raw nerve. I apologise if you took offence. I would say though that I was pointing out another way of doing things, just trying to help! I can't see how pointing out that a location could be found directly on Basecamp is being obstructive. Maybe you could explain that one? Oh, and I actually answered the OP's question.

John

'Board ferry channel tunnel' so says Basecamp software. It has confused the hell out of me. I've never been on the Chunnel but I'm sure it is in a different place to the ferry port.

It's a language thing. The Garmin calls the Chunnel train a 'ferry'; nothing more, nothing less. Treat it as 'This train will ferry you and your awesome steed under the Channel'.

Yes, the boat port and train terminal are in different places. The former is on the coast, the latter close to but not on. Both are fully signposted.

Trust that has lifted the hellish confusion.

Back
Top Bottom