Which passes are open-where to look?

We are in the alps at present Col deColumbiere col de Madeline the pass to Bourn San Martin was closed for another two weeks. I think most high passes are still closed. All the locals were complaining how cold the spring early summer has been. Give it another two weeks I would say ☺

I can confirm Baymans comments, in fact due to his lack of attention to detail, preparation and planning he has totally ruined my trip to the Alps, I have always considered him an over thinker, how wrong was I?
All that said we still managed to find some superb routes and the weather wasn't too bad either.

On this day a year ago I passed through Geneva at the start of the RGA down to Tallard. The bloody fountain was switched off.

Who would have expected that ! It got worse. Madeleine and L'iseran were closed due to a large snow drop.

Managed to get through the Cols to Moutiers then down the long way to Genoble and then to Tallard.

On the way back the L'isran was still closed on the 27th but I managed to get through to Annecy.

Saved on the return through Geneva as the fountain was on. Had lunch with Freddy at Montreux, and all was good again.

You just never know.

Wrapping even the bridge to our local is down since the floods- locals didn't predict that so not sure they'll be much help with the passes- thanks for the suggestion, might use it as a reason to go sit there for a few hours.....

I realise it might sound a bit namby pamby, but I too had a very long day due to detouring around blocked passes. Still every cloud etc, barman found three massive rounds of Reblochon, some bread, beer and he even got his sausage out!!
Brave considering there were 8 of us!
Might have to modify routes on the fly

Call the local tourist offices.

They'll also advise you on where to ask for (and receive) the best local sausage portions.

All joking apart, the website you posted a link to is, I assume, pretty reliable. Whether a pass shown as open stays open whilst you ride towards it, is another matter entirely. Life on the edge, Aventure bike style. Enjoy your holiday.

The weather down here (Grenoble) has been pretty grim though the forecast is for 28c this weekend. Most passes are open, you can check French ones on this site (in French but pretty simple).

Me too but not on that trip :D

Nevertheless had a great trip and did the Forno pass on the way through Swizerland back towards Austria. It is up there in my list of best days on two wheels.

Wherever you go enjoy.

I use this site:
http://www.sport-passion.fr/parcours/etat-cols.php

Bonette was open at the weekend, but closed again Monday due fresh snow. Iseran, Madeleine, Galibier all still closed, and so is Cormet de Roseland which is a proper pita if you're trying to get to Bourg St Maurice from the east :D.

Still we were lucky enough to get over Bonette early on Sunday morning, only one other bike at the col when we got there. Weather was shite on Thursday but has been great ever since.

PS completely OT but someone here (Wapping, I think) recommended the D23 on the north side of Gorge du Verdon. Top recommendation, thanks - amazing views.

Went to the alps early june a few years ago, quite a few passes were shut. ignored the closed signs and just rode until we couldn't get any further. Got turned around a couple of times by irate workmen clearing up the remains of thawed out avalanches, but got over a few passes that were shut.

Back
Top Bottom