Dolomites in 2 weeks - Don't want to miss something ??

flytoolow

Reaction score
OK you lot,

Im off for a tour of the Dolomites in 2 weeks for our annual "Euro Trip"

At the moment all I have got it is :

1) Meet in Arlon (Belgium)
2) fast track across Germany to Garmisch
3) Scoot around Innsbruck and head to Dolomiti (Im assuming this is where all the scenery is ??)
4) Head towards, and over, the Stelio Pass.
5) Lake Como and maybe a museum.
6) Back home to Switzerland for me and Yorkshire for the others.

Given that I don't want to miss a pass/view/road..Do any of you have any definite recommendations of places to see / visit / ride?

Cheers

F2L

Here you go, our 2013 trip to the Dolomites and Austria

http://www.alpineroads.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4143&hilit=2013

Arabba, is a good place to base yourself, we loved the Hotel Al Forte we stopped at just out of town, but were in a large group so had our own company, if your in a small group and fancy a bit of night life one of the towns may be better.

Loads of passes, if you grab the "Motorcycle Journeys" book you will see a trip with 21 passes that is do-able in a (long) day, but easy to put together looping runs of a bunch of passes from a base, ones between the towns can be a little busy (by Alpine Standards) but once out in the sticks the traffic is light - but try to avoid August, June or spetember would probably be best, we did early July and it was still fairly good.

Easy to do Stelvio on way in / out.

This map will show you most of the passes in the area:

http://www.cyclingcols.com/map

Just zoom into where your going and the passes will appear, click on them for name and height.

I would say you can get 3-4 days good riding from one base in the Dolomites, and double that of you do the passed in both directions.

Pump the single word 'Arabba' into the search box and surf away.

Pump the single word 'Dolomites' in the search box, too.

Pump the seven words, 'Best things to do in the Dolomites' into Google.

Pump the six words 'Best motorcycling roads in the Dolomites' into Google.

PS Your question had many more words for you to type.

Pump the single word 'Arabba' into the search box and surf away.

Pump the single word 'Dolomites' in the search box, too.

Pump the seven words, 'Best things to do in the Dolomites' into Google.

Pump the six words 'Best motorcycling roads in the Dolomites' into Google.

PS Your question had many more words for you to type.

:blast

Passo de Giau.

Stelvio is OK but nothing special (just a load of hairpins). Giau was cracking ....

Silveretta, Flexenpass, Timmelsjoch, Jaufenpass, Splugen,Paso di Coce Domini

check out www.AlpineRoads.com

Never rated the Stelvio

With 2 weeks if you are wanting to take in good Alpine roads I would be tempted to head east for Austria , then work your way back west taking in the Nockalm, Grossglockner, Staller Sattel, Plockenpass into the Dolomites then the Jaufen,Timmelsjoch, Oetz valley, Silveretta, Arlberg, Splugen back into Italy and then back north via the Oberalp, Furka, Grimsel and Susten

The Gavia pass that meets the SW ramp of the Stelvio is stunning, we took both in on our way to the Dolomites, on the way back the Stelvio will be most disappointing, but I understand many folk have a desire to tick it off a list, few would want to ride it again and again.

Most of the Dolomites passes are pretty good, or at least the 15 or so I have ridden varied from fairly good to brilliant.

So many other passes that can be used on the way in and out of the Dolomites are also far better, hard to recommend routes as there are probably well over a hundred passes you could ride on the way there & back + Whilst there.

grossglockner should be on your list

Although not in the Dolomites, but it is a very good road, but over-rated IMO as many other roads are as good and you do not need to pay for them, or dodge the tourist busses etc.

Should be on everyone's "to-do" list even more so than the Stelvio - and it is only a days ride away, which is why we did it on the same trip as the Dolomites. The Nockalmstrasse is almost as good and carries far less traffic (but you still have to pay)

No, I have done ...seriously...still wanted an opinion...now I feel real bad....:(

Your mates from Yorkshire will have it all sussed, mate. Chill in Switzerland. Unless that is they gave you the job (or you volunteered) in which case it's now under two weeks and the clock is ticking.....

Chill in Switzerland....

Switzerland is weird .. :D

Rosy and I find it very spooky !! There is no litter, no chewing gum on the floor, no graffiti, the gardens are immaculate, the verges and communal areas are all immaculate, and worse than that .... nobody speeds ... at all ... ever !! Nobody shouts ....

I was just waiting for the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang to appear any moment. It's all a bit too antiseptic and clinical for my taste ... :eek:

Switzerland is weird .. :D

Rosy and I find it very spooky !! There is no litter, no chewing gum on the floor, no graffiti, the gardens are immaculate, the verges and communal areas are all immaculate, and worse than that .... nobody speeds ... at all ... ever !! Nobody shouts ....

I was just waiting for the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang to appear any moment. It's all a bit too antiseptic and clinical for my taste ... :eek:

Spot on ! :thumb2

I know. Been here 10 years now...still havent settled. Cant wash cars, mow gardens or put washing out on a sunday....no noise on a sunday, and they will fine you for crashing into a tree...or if you accidently run over a Fox...they will fine you as well......

Really ?? Wow ... They're bonkers ...

The OP is back from his jaunt:

Well just got back from a tour of Europe (France- Belgium - Germany - Austria - Italy - Switzerland..)

No news on what he and his mates did, nor any mention of thanks to the bods in this thread who made suggestions to help him.

Back
Top Bottom