A run to The Ring and back

jonny5859

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok so maybe a little late on this but on this Friday (the 26th myself) and my dad will be heading down to do the ring of Kerry

We have two nights booked in Killarney, the Friday and the Saturday. The plan is leave on Friday morning and have a sail down and then spend all day Saturday doing the ring and surrounding area then back up home on the Sunday

What I'm asking is can anyone advise on a route down for the Friday and one for home on Sunday that would be more interesting than just a motorway/dual carriage way slog?

We had thought of coming down the M1 until say Slane and then come across country on the Friday and on the Sunday back home go up via Galway and Sligo then back across

Our meeting point is Moira if that helps with ideas

thanks for looking!

Heading down to that part of the world this weekend myself. Mopping up rally points for the Irish Photo Rally and the Iron Butt Photo Rally that are too far away to comfortably cover on a day trip.
I know what you mean about the motorways and I like to cut off towards Ardee at Dundalk and head toward Kells and Mullingar. Great roads, but considering the distance you are intending to cover in a day and the twisty roads, I would be wary of pushing your luck regarding tiredness.
The Ring of Kerry is awesome and you want to enjoy it properly. I would choose a mix of interesting roads and some motorway in order to cover the miles and arrive fresher, never mind safer.
Maybe someone else will have more definite suggestions on routes.
Enjoy your trip. The forecast is good, so far. Look out for a white GS with red crashbars.

Ring

You only have a weekend. Get down there quick and give yourself more time in Kerry. You would be surprised how much time you will spend there. So motorway as far as you can go. Down to the M50 and then M7, M20, N21, N71.

Yea I think you're right about the tiredness and arriving fresher

I had thought of leaving at 10 in the morning to make our way and just have a few stops to break it up, doesn't matter to us if we aren't down there until like 7 if we've stopped a few times to look at somewhere or for tea

When I get in from work this evening I'll check out the idea of cutting off at Dundalk for Kells Mullingar thanks

I'll keep an eye out for you, I'm on a grey GSA and there will be a grey RT behind
c738ceb880967d5a77053e24c6b3268f.jpg

Sent via TapaTalk

All went well thanks!

He is 7 weeks early hence my thoughts of being able to go to Kerry this weekend but he had other plans!

88be26c253037cf739d5eadfa7363506.jpg

Only spent one night in the incubator so he's into a cot already doing well
4a102f691358b17bd76f7edf44471f8b.jpg

Sent via TapaTalk

Great stuff, Kerry will still be there by the time he's on the back with you! Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom