MOTOGOLOCO - sharing

mw3230

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm very happy with MGL except for a problem sharing routes with friends. If I connect my Nav V to MGL the route is downloaded quickly and accurately. If I export the route as a .gpx file then when friends try to load it into their Garmin devices they end up with a different route. I tried it myself (loading a 'shared' route) and it is different from the original

Has anyone a solution to this?

Secondly, does anyone know if more than one person log into my account on different computers so that friends could use my log in details to transfer routes directly from MGL to their satnavs?

I hope I'm not wasting members time here - I don't think the answers have been previously reported on here

Thanks

You would need to make sure all your friends have the same settings as yourself in their navs, failing that make your route bullet proof so it can not be altered via the settings of a nav, in other words use plenty of way/via points so that the route can not be altered.

I would imagine as long as they have your user name and password all would be fine.

the above would also be dependant on unit make and type.

The sharing of routes can be messy if not done right.

I can not understand why a shared route and your origional route should differ on your own device,

I would ask how you are sharing your routes. are you emailing them to friends or other.

Since my original post I have come up with a plan which is to get my pals to log onto to Motogoloco and simply download directly to their satnavs. The thing that stopped this working in the past was that I had saved my routes as 'private' I've now saved a test route as 'public' and sent them details so we'll see if that works. Making routes public allows others to see/download them but not to alter or edit (I think)

Stop press just heard from a friend who reports that this has not been successful as the 'plug in is not supported by Chrome' - baffling!

your friends will/may have the same issues as before, to test this just download a route put it on your nav and e mail the route to a friend and compare results.

I have just tried a route of mine and have no such issue with a downloaded route and a shared route on the same nav, unlike yourself.

your friends will/may have the same issues as before, to test this just download a route put it on your nav and e mail the route to a friend and compare results.

I have just tried a route of mine and have no such issue with a downloaded route and a shared route on the same nav, unlike yourself.

this is what I do …..then to put that on there Nav, I tell them to open up the files on the Nav, find the GPX folder then upload. This should then be found in trip planner when the nav is disconnected from the PC

You will have still have issues with routes altering even if they download the same route from your account on MGL, for the reasons stated above in my first post, and possibly there will be more reasons than that, such as map age and type as well as unit differences.

I agree that it should be as simple as that but either the system (or the users) are at fault - likely the latter. We were thinking that downloading the route via Basecamp may have been the problem - I forgot to mention this in my first. I think your advice to include a lot of waypoints will be helpful, and yes I agree that the difference in models and age of maps may have an impact

If you build a route with enough via/way points this problem will be almost eliminated, when sharing routes across multiple devices of different makes and models this will always be a problem. you on the other hand, should have no problem of a route altering on your nav whether you have saved the route, uploaded the route or sent it to yourself as e mail, as long as you have not altered anything on your nav inbetween time, the route should stay the same, if on the other hand you load it in basecamp and then send it basecamp may have altered it.

Can your friends not just drag & drop the shared GPX file directly to the device or installed SD card without using BaseCamp?

Can your friends not just drag & drop the shared GPX file directly to the device or installed SD card without using BaseCamp?

Agreed that is the best option but they have differing levels of tech ability!

You can message them and get help if you still need it, I found them very helpful.

How many of your friends are suffering with this problem? Two, five, nine, 22, 54, 110?

Do they all live close by or close enough that (with a bit of effort) you could gather them all up at your house?

If the answer to question one is a reasonably small number and if the answer to question two is that it's possible, then steam ahead. Get yourselves all together and work out a way that works for you all. I create and share lots of routes using BaseCamp, previously Mapsource. I now rarely see fundamental differences between routes I have created and those that are finally run by the bods I have shared them with. Where there are differences these are usually down to the personal settings within their devices, something that I cannot alter for them, unless I can get my hands onto their device. If nothing else, gathering all your friends together should enable you to show them how to drag and drop as per posts #9 and #10.

Another alternative might be for you to save your routes as tracks. Then send the tracks to your friends. When they convert the tracks into routes, there should be no differences at all.

Failing that, contact Motogoloony and ask them to help you. The fellow seems to appear on these pages advising on updates and the like, so it should be possible. That being said, I'm not sure he's a site subscriber, so you'll not be able to PM him. Is there a dedicated Motogoloony forum or something similar that you can tap into perhaps? As it seems to be a popular piece of software, used by fellows who find Garmin's proprietary software too challenging, I might create a dedicated Motogoloony sub-section for likeminded souls to air and share their problems.

Anyway, have fun. The problem should not be unsolvable.

How many of your friends are suffering with this problem? Two, five, nine, 22, 54, 110?

Do they all live close by or close enough that (with a bit of effort) you could gather them all up at your house?

If the answer to question one is a reasonably small number and if the answer to question two is that it's possible, then steam ahead. Get yourselves all together and work out a way that works for you all. I create and share lots of routes using BaseCamp, previously Mapsource. I now rarely see fundamental differences between routes I have created and those that are finally run by the bods I have shared them with. Where there are differences these are usually down to the personal settings within their devices, something that I cannot alter for them, unless I can get my hands onto their device. If nothing else, gathering all your friends together should enable you to show them how to drag and drop as per posts #9 and #10.

Another alternative might be for you to save your routes as tracks. Then send the tracks to your friends. When they convert the tracks into routes, there should be no differences at all.

Failing that, contact Motogoloony and ask them to help you. The fellow seems to appear on these pages advising on updates and the like, so it should be possible. That being said, I'm not sure he's a site subscriber, so you'll not be able to PM him. Is there a dedicated Motogoloony forum or something similar that you can tap into perhaps? As it seems to be a popular piece of software, used by fellows who find Garmin's proprietary software too challenging, I might create a dedicated Motogoloony sub-section for likeminded souls to air and share their problems.

Anyway, have fun. The problem should not be unsolvable.

All good suggestions. The problem is amongst a small group of us and getting together is a viable option. I've sent an email to Motogoloco asking for advice but no reply as yet. I agree with you that the problem isn't insurmountable, it's just that at the moment we haven't quite arrived at it. I suspect there may be a small amount of 'operator error' clouding the issue on the part of some of those involved!

The sub-forum for MotoGoLoco and other third party software is being set-up..... And here it is!

Enjoy!

A goodly ploy Richard. and as for the op, i feel sure that if the routes he created using MGL had plenty of via/way points, it would elleviate most of his problems, (make the route unchangeable on transfer) would seem the way to go to me.

The op experienced no problems transferring to his device direct from MGL, it only happened to his friends probably due to them transferring them from BaseCamp.
Routes created with Google maps are always going to have some issues with Garmin's map software. Better for them to transfer the GPX file direct & not use BaseCamp just as the op managed to do successfully.

the op did indeed have problems transfering to his own device when it was a shared route. Quote the OP ( I tried it myself (loading a 'shared' route) and it is different from the original
Has anyone a solution to this?). so he did not transfer the route with no problems when done as a shared route. maybe i just read it wrong or the OP was getting mixed up in his description, whatever the problem he now has several ways to get around the issue.

It's never easy trying to resolve problems with the display of routes, without having them to hand.

Might I suggest that the OP shares with us:

(1) The true proper route, displayed in Google maps, so that us without the luxury of MotoGoLooony can see what it's meant to look like

(2) The .gpx exchange file of the same route that he sent to his chums, who then struggle with displaying it accurately on their Garmin devices

It's never easy trying to resolve problems with the display of routes, without having them to hand.

Might I suggest that the OP shares with us:

(1) The true proper route, displayed in Google maps, so that us without the luxury of MotoGoLooony can see what it's meant to look like

(2) The .gpx exchange file of the same route that he sent to his chums, who then struggle with displaying it accurately on their Garmin devices

Here goes -

https://www.motogoloco.com/map/

https://www.motogoloco.com/map/_recommended.php?get=export&type=gpx&id=26350&key=, https://www.motogoloco.com/map/

I have no idea if that will work!

Back
Top Bottom