PUNCTURE!

pauldignan

Feck! Got all set up for a ride tomorrow, quick check of the tyres and pulled out an inch long nail.... Bank Holiday tomorrow and don't know any place that will be open. Any ideas anyone?

Erm, fix it yourself?

:eek:

No offense intended, but, don't you have a plug kit to diy it when youre out on your own, miles from home?

I carry the lot, even for my van or trailer if im stuck out in the middle of nowhere. If you were closer I'd come do it for you.

I'd rather have a professioal job done than risk two lives on a bodged job..... and I ain't got any tyre levers.

Just looked at pluggers on web and am interested.

Thanks for offer.

Paul

I've got one of the mushroom-type tyre pluggers and have been hoping to try it out (but not on my own tyres!). Want me to call round some time and we'll give it a go? Supposed to be the best type of plug available.

Re: Paul

Paulf said:
I've got one of the mushroom-type tyre pluggers and have been hoping to try it out (but not on my own tyres!). Want me to call round some time and we'll give it a go? Supposed to be the best type of plug available.

Thanks for that Paul but got it repaired today (a tenner, thought that was pretty good). I'm going to invest in stop'n'go more for peace of mind than anything else.
Wife and I are going for a ride out Saturday. Trying for the 'ill fated' Rye trip.....3rd time lucky! If you fancy it your more than welcome and that goes for anyone else.... Wildebeest? Chalkster?
All welcome.

Paul,

don't forget that, to use the tyre plugger, you have to let the tyre deflate completely. So make sure and work out your re-inflation strategy...;)

I took a cheapy (£5ish) compressor with me - bought at Halfords or somewhere similar years ago - but CO2 cartridges, or even a can of Finilec would do instead. Ideally, of course, you'd leave the nail in until you were somewhere which had a compressor, then you'd be sorted...

Mike:)

pauldignan said:
I'd rather have a professioal job done than risk two lives on a bodged job..... and I ain't got any tyre levers.

Just looked at pluggers on web and am interested.

Thanks for offer.

Nothing bodgy about pluggin a hole in your tyre, thats all you'll get at a bike shop, thats if they don't try and fleece you for a new tyre.

Just plug it, I've done it loads of times on many different tyres, never had a problem, even two up.

Plug.

Yeah go for it! I've even used rubber bands and pound shop contact adhesive when i've been stuck sometimes. temporarily of course!

I've even used a self tapper and some rubber glue - lasted the rest of the life of the tyre

I'm puzzled with this idea that plugged tyres are either a bodge-up and therefore dangerous. This attitude is particularly prevalent in the US where riders almost always replace the tyre when punctured. If carried out correctly, it is just as good as a repair carried out at a tyre fitters.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom