Option to upload Western Europe map update gone

G&T

“OK sweet heart... just one last ride”
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Navigator V
64gb SD card
Update 2017.20

Context: Previously I had just Western Europe on the device internal memory. After the prompt for 2017.20 upgrade and selecting just the Western Europe map it failed to upload. After 3 attempts I said yes to upload to SD card and all worked. However it looks like it has updated full Europe.

How do I just upload Western Europe? I can't find the option anymore.

How do I then make sure basecamp is using the same updated map? I do not want to upload full Europe to PC.

It looks like the device has retained the old Western Europe map on the internal memory. How can I tell it is reading the updated from the SD card?

Many thanks
Glenn

Navigator V
64gb SD card
Update 2017.20

Context: Previously I had just Western Europe on the device internal memory. After the prompt for 2017.20 upgrade and selecting just the Western Europe map it failed to upload. After 3 attempts I said yes to upload to SD card and all worked. However it looks like it has updated full Europe.

How do I then make sure basecamp is using the same updated map? I do not want to upload full Europe to PC.

It looks like the device has retained the old Western Europe map on the internal memory. How can I tell it is reading the updated from the SD card?

Many thanks
Glenn

Why would you not want the same maps on your PC as on your device? If you plug the device in you can see what Basecamp is reading. It should show what is on the device and what is on the card. It is a lot easier to just have the same maps on the PC though.

John

Navigator V
64gb SD card
Update 2017.20

Many thanks
Glenn

You may want to read this, http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...-BaseCamp-Garmin-Express-not-reading-SD-cards. it explains the issue you have.
But as above, why not install to pc/mac in the first instance as well as the nav. if hdd space is the issue delete the old maps.

To find out what maps are being used by the device go to settings, map, map info and look at what is selected and check the box for the map you wish to use.

for pc open mapsource and go to view and select switch to product, you will see what is ticked or not. Basecamp go to maps and look at what is ticked.

Why would you not want the same maps on your PC as on your device? If you plug the device in you can see what Basecamp is reading. It should show what is on the device and what is on the card. It is a lot easier to just have the same maps on the PC though.

John

I do want the same map on the device and base camp. But I just want Western Europe, not full Europe on the device and basecamp.

well as i said read the info in the link with reference to not being able to re download for pc/mac. your other issue of only wanting to install a certain region/regions of maps, if you download the full map to the pc/mac you can then use mapinstal to send whatever sections or areas of maps you require to the nav, or you can use mapsource or basecamp to do the same.

well as i said read the info in the link with reference to not being able to re download for pc/mac. your other issue of only wanting to install a certain region/regions of maps, if you download the full map to the pc/mac you can then use mapinstal to send whatever sections or areas of maps you require to the nav, or you can use mapsource or basecamp to do the same.

Thanks Lee. Will certainly have a good read and figure out what's what. I have to say that this is a poor performance by Garmin in terms of 'ease of use'. Previously minor updates were a breeze allowing me to select a region, which part of the device I wanted it stored and updated in basecamp.

It does seem of late that garmin have dropped the ball a little, going by the problems people are having on here, although i can not comment on whether all of its down to garmin or some is down to user error, i can only say that i have had no problems using a pc and express, and i have 4 garmin units and also update several others for friends,

All seems to be going OK using Garmin Express, with the option to download the latest maps to the device and to my Mac both available. A bit slow but I think that's just the Garmin servers as everything else seems to be steaming along.

Richard are all the options available, nothing missing and you can see the sad card.

Richard are all the options available

Yes, all three. Load map update to device only, load to device and computer, load to computer only

nothing missing

Nothing missing

.... and you can see the sad card.

I can see the sad card, my Mac can see the sad card and - most importantly of all - Garmin Express installed the new maps straight to the sad card in the device without me doing anything. Similarly, Garmin Express updated the device's software at the same time.

All done overnight. It was not particularly fast, so I just left it running to itself.

In short, easy with no glitches whatsoever. I have now used Garmin MapManager to safely delete and remove the old map for my Mac, too.

I am now going to update the maps and software on another Nav V (again using my Mac and Garmin Express) simply by choosing the 'Device only option', from the three options, which (contrary to posts above) all seem to be available still.

Compared with last night, where I was updating the maps on a Nav V device and on my Mac at the same time, the device only update is roaring along.

I also have a laptop and a third Nav V to do, too. I'll report any problems.

Edit: Second Nav V's maps and software updated in about 12 minutes, straight to the sad card, with no messing. All done with Garmin Express. Now just the laptop and the last Nav V to do.

I did the updates a few days ago and can report the same as Wapping. First I downloaded 2017.2 to Zumo 595 and mac, took 2-3 hours. Then I downloaded to the 2nd device, a Zumo 590, device only, and it only took a few minutes.
However, the OP for some reason only wants Western Europe, not all of Europe, and I don't think the option to download only part of the map has ever existed although, as leedude says, the OP can opt to install whatever he likes on the device using Mapinstall (notwithstanding the Windows related SD card problems)

I am now going to update the maps and software on another Nav V (again using my Mac and Garmin express) simply by choosing the 'Device only option', from the three options, which (contrary to posts above) all seem to be available still.

Compared with last night, where I was updating the maps on a Nav V device and on my Mac at the same time, the device only update is roaring along.

I also have a laptop and a third Nav V to do, too. I'll report any problems.

I think the generic name for Garmin's European map is 'Western Europe'. Maybe he means that?

There used to be - and there maybe still might be, I haven't looked - an option to download just some areas and / or specific map tiles, if there was insufficient space within the device to take the full 'Western Europe' map. A good example would be when an SD card was not present in the device or if the SD card itself was too small.

PS Steaming along updating the software on the third Nav V and now steaming into updating the maps only on my laptop. Far quicker a download than last night; I can only guess that it's down to Garmin's servers.

Western Europe is what you got on the cheaper devices, the more expensive ones came with Full European coverage. I don't know if this is still the case

John

Thanks Richard, it seems like they have got it sorted now then. I presume you are running the latest version of express.

Indeed so.

To be honest, I have never had a problem updating maps or a device's software, whether on a Mac or a PC.

it seems that we are members of a select few, who have been lucky enough to have not been subjected to the trials and tribulations that others have been plagued with.:beerjug::beer:

Back
Top Bottom