Non GS related question..

stumpi

Reaction score
So, sold the adventure, but wanted a lane toy so......

Get this, brand new Ktm 525Mxc, first ride ( Essex lanes ) and get home last night to discover the left fork seal weeping, bugger. Even worse, is the cause, and thats a stone chip in the fork lower.

Does anyone know of a firm that can repair this kind of damage?

The chip isnt massively deep, but, its rough enough to knacker a new seal if I change it...

Any help greatfully appreciated,

Stumpi.

tempory measure.
if the stone chip has caused a sharp raised edge to the pit that has scored the seal, i have in the past filed these high spots (old honda trail bike) replaced seals then fitted gators for the MOT
doesn't loose too much oil.
but then haven't given it MX type abuse.

best of luck
Hamish

Thanks, but, your missing the point. I can source and fit new seals easily, but I need the forkleg repaired, which involves it going on a lathe.

The bike has 48 mm WP USD forks, and yes, the seals used to be a nightmare on them, but, they do work very hard on these kind of bike and I'm sure that theyre meant to fail more than say a road oriented bike. The new 05 seal have a better design and are ( supposedly ) better.

I can change a set of seals in under an hour, it's a very easy job, done it enough times for various peeps, just don't have a nice lathe :(

Thanks Hamish, but I'd sooner do the job properly, Having just spent a tidy sum on a brand new bike I'd like it to be right.

stumpi said:
Thanks, but, your missing the point. I can source and fit new seals easily, but I need the forkleg repaired, which involves it going on a lathe.

The bike has 48 mm WP USD forks, and yes, the seals used to be a nightmare on them, but, the do work very hard on these kind of bike and I'm sure that theyre meant to fail more than say a road oriented bike.

I can change a set of seals in under an hour, it's a very easy job, done it enough times for various peeps, just don't have a nice lathe :(

Thanks anyway.

Why does it need to go on a lathe? Anyway, you can file teh rough edges off and put some metal paste in and sand that flat. But short of getting them rechromed, you'll always be compromised by the chip, although I suspect you know that.

Why not buy this set from Andrew and have some spares. You can have a spare ready to drop in at any point then. If you do go for these, please tell Andrew that Taipan sent you.:)

*For Sale: White Power 48mm MX Forks, will fit Husaberg, KTM and CCM. Recently serviced and new seals, Best offer over £225 secures. Call me if you have any questions….Andrew (Deaks on visordown) 0791 959 4462.

Thanks, but having just spent 5 and a half grand on a new bike I'd really rather avoid buying a set of second hand forks for it after one ride, I can get a new leg lower for a lot less than that.

I just wanted to know if anybody knew of any firms that " professionally " repair the legs.

:)

Stumpi- the repair you require is commonly used to refurbish fork legs.
The oririginal hard-deposit chrome plate is chemically removed,the damage repaired by ,I assume welding and machining,then the leg is re-chromed and ground to size.
Any company who advertises re-conditioned fork legs,and I think Motorworks may be one,should be able to give you an address,or else look in the 'Services' section of MCN.
I don't think you're talking big money either.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Singey,

Will thumb mcn right now, can't believe I didnt think of that myself. I just assumed that the net was better I guess.

Just proves what they say about assumption..............

I had my old bikes forks rechromed in a w/shop in ollerton notts,
Don`t know the name but they advertise in MCN,,, About £40 a leg, (then),=ground,chromed and resized to spec,.

Great job,,

Try John Gaskell (Ex trials boy) at

Revs Suspension ServicesUnit 1, 22, Mount St, Halesowen, West Midlands B63 4NU
Tel: 0121 501 3321

Has repaired/rebuilt quite a few units for me after little...errr...mishaps...:D

Right heres the jen, generally, the quotes to repair are £90 plus, so I'm opting for a new leg lower at £126, but in the meantime, as ktm are out of stock, I'm gonna file the high nick, and araldite the little depression then 1200 it and the polish it.

That'll see me right till the newun arrives.

Thanks for all the advice tho.

Stumps

Back
Top Bottom