Replacing speedo cable on an 1100

JohnC

Reaction score
Had a quick shifty at the manual but this doesnt seem to be covered. Is there any particular way to go about this as it's difficult to see the cable end at the instrument cluster. Will I need to remove the fairing etc and is there anything I need to watch out for?

John

Havent you just bought this bike from a dealer, if the speedo cable has gone get them to replace it. I trust it came with a warranty. And the same goes for the HT lead clip, or am I mising something here?

Pete A

Yes that's right Pete, but I have asked Motorrad to post the parts out rather than me having to travel all the way up there for what should be a simple fix. I dont mind doing these sort of repairs but if it was something more technical of course I'd book the bike in.

I haven't actually replaced the cable but when I fitted my MiGSel GPS mount we needed to undo it (if I recall correctly. basically take the screen off first and start undoing the obvious bolts that hold the cockpit together (it's only a couple of bolts) after that you can get in to see the top of the speedo cable and undo it. I don't remember it being especially challenging.

Did mine a month or so ago. Got the cable from motobins about £14 and delivered next day.

From memory here’s what I did. Undo retaining grub screw at the wheel end. Pull out cable.

Remove screen and watch out for the inner rubber washers as they drop out. But it’s quite obvious where they go as they have squash lines on them. You'll see what I mean when you look at them.

Then there is a couple of 10m bolts on the cluster which you remove and it will lift up pull forward enough for you to unscrew the cable.

Push new cable up and onto the back of Speedo head. You may need an extra pair of hands here, as to get it to go fully in it’s easier if someone turns the lower end of the cable whilst you do this. Then turn the knurled grip retaining thing on nice and finger tight.

Insert cable into wheel end and spin to make sure the Speedo gives a reading which confirms the cable is in correctly at both ends. Then refit console, screen and grub screw etc. Takes about 45 mins tops, including getting a cold one mid job.

:)

JohnC said:
Yes that's right Pete, but I have asked Motorrad to post the parts out rather than me having to travel all the way up there for what should be a simple fix. I dont mind doing these sort of repairs but if it was something more technical of course I'd book the bike in.

Fair enough, just thought that with a location of Central Scotland that you would be close to the dealer. And if it helps both partys it can only be a good thing.

Pete A

pragmatix said:
Fair enough, just thought that with a location of Central Scotland that you would be close to the dealer. And if it helps both partys it can only be a good thing.

Pete A
No problem Pete, but I've got to get my hands dirty on the bike some time, sooner rather than later if it helps me learn a bit more about the GS ;)

Taipan perfect m8

:beerjug: :beerjug:

Can't help you with an 1100 - but I replaced my Adv's a few weeks ago. I threaded it in place alongside the old cable, to ensure the routing was the same...

Mike:)

Ah but has anyone done this on an 100 fitted with a Desierto I ??

Anyone... anyone ...? :nenau

Grazoid said:

it might help you to find out by asking it as question in the technical forum, instead of tagging it on to the end of something else . :nenau

Possibly Steppers dear boy , but what the heck ... it's the urge not to fill database tables with too many entries that took over :)

Grazoid said:

Hmmm curious - thought I had edited to read 1100... ah well never mind... time to go home and watch us being beaten by Sweden ... AGAIN...

Back
Top Bottom