Carb icing, nothing to do with Tricky's Cake

biking photographer

Reaction score
The Trotsky bike was running like a real pig this morning on my way to work. I thought the microscopic tank had run dry, but it had enough fuel, and both the ht leads were firmly in place. I checked the plugs when I got to work and they seemed OK, and it was running beautifully again when I went to fetch my lunch. Are carbed(94) Sporty's susceptible to carb icing, and how do I stop it other than setting the whole thing on fire, as I am sure some will suggest? I looked on line and somebody suggested methylated spirits in with the fuel?

and it was running beautifully again when I went to fetch my lunch.

What did you fetch for lunch? :D

Carb icing is a bitch. My last experience of this was on my old KTM 950 Adv and apart from wrapping the carbs in warm bacon - like pigs in blankets - the only solution was to stop and let the height from the engine melt the ice.

I think KTM did a fix for it but it never got bad enough to being a regular or consistent ball ache. :thumb

What did you fetch for lunch? :D

Morrison's salad bar as you are asking. It has to be slightly girly as I (and you now!) have a sporty. (Don't tell the boys, but I am enjoying this bike more than any, since buying my first GSA1150 ten years ago.) Sporty's are great handling, and the one I bought, although ancient, goes like a "bat out of hell", but not on cool humid days it seems.

You can buy an additive from HD - ( or get some off ebay) My 1340 EVO suffers like a bitch in cold and humid conditions.... it will even ice in the rain when its 14-15 degrees.C

if you have a CV carb they are a twat for it....

<a href="http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-809-silkolene-pro-fst-fuel-system-treatment-for-petrol-engines.aspx" target="_blank">This</a> used to work well on my old Transalp.

carbed(94) Sporty's susceptible to carb icing, and how do I stop it other than setting the whole thing on fire.

Burn it and keep burning it until it stops burning, then burn it with petrol, when that stops burning, burn it with 98% Sulphuric acid.
When that stops burning,burn anyone who's ever seen it, then burn your eyes out with hydrofluric acid, and when that gets into your bones and bleaches all the marrow out of them you will be truly rid of the Harley Davidson virus.

You can then go and fuck a nunnery.
( similar to a monkery but with nuns instead )

Wow, that is very thorough Holy Spirit. Surprised you did'nt suggest pissing all over the carb, it works sometimes. That really is taking the piss.

Pissing in the carb.... never thought if that!! I've always waited for the engine to warm it!!

Normally if you stop and let the carb ice melt then it will not come back again.

Back
Top Bottom