Idea's on ZEGA case's

Skip

Hi guys,

Just a quick one, I'm a very green biker and yet to get my F650. I have been looking at buying two 35L ZEGA case's, they look pretty good to me, but what are they like in the real world? Keep in mind that I want them for touring through Europe and also being an Aussie I don't have a clue as to what's out there on the market. Any idea's will be great.

Skip

:confused: :confused:

Skip,

I'm off on a big trip this year RTW- commencing in May 2003. Pannier choice has been a crucial part of our prep. My husband is riding a 1100GS and I'm on an F650GS Special and we are both using Zega cases.

We have found them to be well-built, strong, and very repairable. There are quite a few makes on the market - most of which we looked at. You can get the full lisitng of pannier manufacturers and thier respective pros and cons at our website http://www.2ridetheworld.com , click on the 'bike mods' link on the right and then select the panniers link.

If you want any advice or feed-back please e-mail us - there is a contact page on our website.

LOL lisa T

Attachments

• lisa_montage2.jpg
    lisa_montage2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 510
Skip, I eventually acquired two 41 litre Zega cases and mounting hardware after looking for about 2 years around the world for my 1100 GS.

One of the problems with aluminium panniers is that they do wash aluminium onto whatever you are carrying in them.

To counteract this I purchased a 1 Metre x 12 Feet (some things are only part metric on Oz as you should know) piece of 1mm floor vinyl. This I then carefully cut up with a knife and then using tubed glue from the local supermarket, proceeded to glue it into the panniers, including the lids.

This modification has totally eliminated the aluminising of my jocks and socks, and, more importantly, hers as well!

I would agree with Lisa 100% but I think you could narrow it down to a handfull of choices, but pay attention to how close to the bike the panniers can be mounted. The last thing you need is for them to be mounted about 100 mm further out than necessary or possible using some of the close mounting setups that I've seen.

Mick.

PS:- whereabouts from Oz, do you hail from?

HI Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for the pointers you have some good idea's. I lived in Queensland - Brisbane- Toowong all of my life until about 3 years ago when I left did a bit of travelling for about a year and now live in the UK in Kent. I'm only 28 and this will be my first big bike that I've owned and the first trip which I've ever done on a bike should be a right good laugh. Were abouts are you going in europe? Carrie and me are going to France, Austria, Switzerland, Germany and Belgium have you been to any of these places? If you have do you have any spots which I should have a look at.

Talk soon Skippy.

Re the ally rubbing off on the contents - I have just painted the inside of my Zega cases with a 2-pack epoxy paint (designed for water tanks, incidentally). Works great!

And for Skip - yes get some - they are immensely tough, as I have proved to my own satisfaction by bouncing them off various things. A 40 mph (closing speed) impact on a Vauxhall Omega ripped the front bodywork clean off the car, and took 30 minutes with a hammer and bolster to repair the panniers.
I did manage to wreck a pair, but only by getting them to slide/cartwheel along a road at 50mph for about 70 yards...
Waterproof in the worst weather the UK can throw at them, they don't rattle, and if you forget to latch the lids down, they do bounce when they fly off as you reach 35mph (DAMHIK)

I've heard of zega cases getting written off when an 1100 gently fell over on them,eh Simon,ring any bells!!!

....Eeeerrr, Uuummmm, Weeeeelllll....Nope, definatley Nope, rings no bells whatsoever?????... infact dont know who you are,
never heard of you, in fact ..........
................YES, Ba$*"%d!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Dropped the bike at stationary, in all honesty the pannier could have been banged back into shape, I could'nt be bothered & it was fairly new so had it replaced by the dealer Bracken in London.

Vern, is their anything lined up "meet-wise", What's the score with the Air Ballon meet idea?

Cheers
Simon T

:beerjug:

After my recent tarmac interface, I've made several changes to my bike (determined to salvage a silver lining from this cloud!).

One of the decisions I've made is to replace my Zega boxes with Jesse's Odessey Bags. There are several reasons for this. My bike has been over at low speed a couple of times prior to this spill & I've been surprised at how easily they damage & deform. Now, planning a RTW trip, I've got to be realistic & expect the occasional oops to happen. The Zega bags are a soft compound alloy which scrapes, dents & deforms very easily. Both panniers have dented against the frames and, although probably repairable, I felt that I ought to look at other options.

I was able to get a storming deal on Jesse Bags - effectively the same price as the Zegas, but with a lockable tail pack & rack thrown in.

The other reason I wanted to change was a concern over fuel consumption. I am a big lad, but even so, my fuel consumption has been higher than I would expect (low 40s - high 30s on a bad day!). I'm convinced that the 41 litre Zegas (which I leave on all the time, so as to hide the silly-arsed extended pipe from view:D ) are contributing to this with their breeze-block aerodynamics. Jesse's look a lot narrower (although they hold a total of 110 litres!) and more streamlined - the mpg issue has been covered in some depth on the ADVRider site, with Jesse's coming out the winner.

I'm also, on various recommendations around the BB, fitting Verholen footpeg lowering kit (thank you, Simon), Boxer-design side panels (Ta, Scurrell), Ricardo Kuhn Pro-Taper handlebars & H&B crashbars (Malky & Simon again) (& a Techlusion chip, to cure the surging).

Should be ready at the end of Feb - which will be nice.....

MikeO:)

ps Went to see my consultant yesterday. All bones aligned correctly, healing well. Next appointment in early Feb, when I may get downgraded to a below the knee cast - Hurrah:)

pps Insurance authorised repairs to the bike today:)

Ive got jesse bags aswell.Dont really know how they compare to other aluminium bags but Im well happy even after a few pannier/tarmac interfaces due to my disc lock.
Another one planning a RTW trip!
Is ther going to be anyone left after the morroco bash and everyones RTW'S.

Bought a set of Verns Bomb proof Aluminum panniers last week and believe me they are tough but very light and at £595 they can be made any size, shape, design etc up to 66L per side, the lids also double up as saucepans or wash basins, and all hand made in the UK. Makes my old Zega cases look like Micky Mouse toys, well impressed.
Give him a call on 01905 612705, he certainly knows his stuff

Have read all of the info which you good people have given me, and many thanks, now I just have to decide which is the better way to go. I might do some running around and have a look at some of this things with my own eye's.

Thanks again Guys'

Skip :D :D

Skip, i'd definately recommend having a proper look around.
I started on BM plastic ones, great for day to day use, crap for packing for a trip as they are so bloody awkwardly shaped inside. Swapped to Zega's which are very good for me, touring round UK day to day work etc but Vern wasn't up and running then. Jesse's too expensive. You pays your money and takes your chance.
A couple of hundred quid extra spent now may make a massive differance in the long run.

Dave, I think your right mate, I do need to have a good look around that's for sure. But I have been given lots of idea's and that has helped me out to no end. But you have sorted me out, I think later on I might give Vern a ring. I have not seen Vern's gear, but from the sounds of it, I believe that his case's are the way to go.

And lets face it he builds them to suit/size and even though I'm not English (Aussie) I do live in the UK for the moment, and I'd rather give my money to some one who is trying to make a go of it.

Yep Dave, I'll give Vern a call for sure. Thanks for the post Dave

Skip

Starting to wind meself up now just thinking about some custome built 50 litre jobs by vern. The ZEGA 's are fine but...........
Ah well, another item on my wish list.
Happy hunting

Back
Top Bottom