GPS Tech. Days....

Dutchman

Reaction score
GPS & Motorcycles Tech. Days

Saturday 8th March & Sunday 9th March 2003

Due to popular demand, I've decided to hold a GPS weekend at my home in Edinburgh, where those who already have GPS or who are about to make a purchase or simply those that are just interested, can learn from each other experiences, see different mounting solutions in action, and generally have a good blether, exchange experiences of GPS on motorcycles, routing & mapping software etc, etc....and will be the ideal opportunity for everyone to get their 'bikes out nice and early in the year....although it is accepted that this will appeal to those in Scotland & northern England, more, perhaps, than those further south!

This is very much an 'open house' and will run from around 10am to 5pm on each day, with hot soup & coffee provided to ward off hypothermia.....Scotland can be fairly chilly at this time of year!

Booking is not required, but expressions of interest would be useful to bmw@dutchman.org.uk and if you just want to turn up on the day, that's fine!

5 Craigentinny Place, Edinburgh, EH7 6PZ, Scotland Tel:0131 620 1792

GPS : N55º57.41' W03º08.25'

I don't believe it

I don't believe it - A GS club event and I'm not offshore. I will do my upmost to attend on one of the days as I will be home over that period. Is the Scottish Bike show on that weekend or am I mistaken??

We'll see if any of the other Andy's turn out for a change.........only joking guys.

Have Fun
AndyT;)

Re: I don't believe it

AndyT said:
I don't believe it - A GS club event and I'm not offshore. I will do my upmost to attend on one of the days as I will be home over that period. Is the Scottish Bike show on that weekend or am I mistaken??

We'll see if any of the other Andy's turn out for a change.........only joking guys.

Have Fun
AndyT;)

Yep, it's the same weekend as the Scottish 'bike show & we're only ten miles from Ingliston......

Take a look: www.bmwclubscottishsection.org.uk/gps_forum.htm

Re: Tech days

Good idea and certainly interested - any excuse to ride the GS. What sort of detail are you going to offer, because after all we can all read the instruction books!
Sherpa;)

Re: Re: Tech days

sherpa said:
............because after all we can all read the instruction books!
Sherpa;)

You'd be surprised.....after some of the queries that have come my way.....I think people see the 'telephone book' manuals, find the 'on' button & wonder why they get lost...... :D

However this is NOT intended to be some sort of GPS 'masterclass' but more of an exchange of experiences amongst experienced GPS owners....with those that haven't yet taken the plunge able to pick our brains........:confused:

Got about 30 'definates' spread over the two days plus, hopefully, a tech rep from Garmin, to answer all our stoopid questions...... :eek:

Re: Tech Day

Tech Rep from Garmin would certainly make it a must do trip - but i don't really need an excuse to ride the GS - a couple of us from Yorkshire will be there and if anyone would like to join us we will travel up on the Saturday and stay at a bike friendly and secure hotel Saturday night for B&B&EM, and shoot up to Edinburgh next A.M. (Sunday) Contact me through this thread if you'd like to join us
Sherpa;)

Where you staying about as I live in the Scottish Borders about one hour from Edinburgh.
Not sure which day I am going to the show, maybe both.
I will look in and see the Dutchman as well for some gps speak.

Adrian
Sounds like a great idea for a weekend to me. Just Ordered a GPS V so assuming I can find Edinburgh prior to the event..... I'll be there.

Incidentally, if there are any others heading up from Wales, drop me an email and perhaps we can link up for the run

Dennis

GARMIN TECH DAY

LAST CALL FOR THE RUN!!!!
If anyone would like to join myself and Swooper for the run up to Edinburgh I need to know by end of this week to book the rooms. We will be travelling up to Carlisle area Saturday and stopping at a bike friendly hotel with evening meal, Sunday up and off to Edinburgh then back to Yorkshire in the P.M.
You can contact me direct on 077 656 77 927 (John)
;)

Re: GARMIN TECH DAY

sherpa said:
LAST CALL FOR THE RUN!!!!
If anyone would like to join myself and Swooper for the run up to Edinburgh I need to know by end of this week to book the rooms. We will be travelling up to Carlisle area Saturday and stopping at a bike friendly hotel with evening meal, Sunday up and off to Edinburgh then back to Yorkshire in the P.M.
You can contact me direct on 077 656 77 927 (John)
;)

Loads of 'biker friendly accommodation in Cumbria & Dumfries:

www.bikersbeds.com/cumbria.htm
www.bikersbeds.com/dumfries.htm

Currently have 25 'definates' & 15 'mebbe's' spread over the two days......could be fun....:jester

I'll be there on Sunday (probably after luch as I'm comong from Glasgow via the Bike show then on to Stockport Sunday night.

Look forwards to it.

Will it be of use to bring my PC along or will that slow things down if everyone has there own PC and GPS with them....just curious.

See you there.

AndyT:cool:

AndyT said:
I'll be there on Sunday (probably after luch as I'm comong from Glasgow via the Bike show then on to Stockport Sunday night.

Look forwards to it.

Will it be of use to bring my PC along or will that slow things down if everyone has there own PC and GPS with them....just curious.

See you there.

AndyT:cool:

No need to bring your PC...I'll have my GPS hooked up to the PC here.....

9th March

Dutchman

Just to confirm Sherpa, AN Other and me will be with you on the morning of 9th March.

What day is the Garmin rep going to be there?

If it is the Saturday, it would be useful if someone could jot down any interesting results that come out of the discussions.

See you then.

Garmin man ha still to confirm........

Whatever happens on Saturday will be saved & put on one of my websites, probably the BMW Club Scottish Section....

Hi Dutchman,

Myself and wifey will be with you on Saturday. I seems half of Wales will be coming up with us for the match at Murrayfield.

I guess we will be looking for accommodation a little further out than I originally intended.

Looking forward to meeting up with you all

Dennis:beerjug:

GPS Weekend....

Thanks for your support over the past two days.....

Saturday saw 22 people arrive at my house in Edinburgh (not all at once!!) to talk about GPS....'bikes.....touring & whatever......

Furthest travelled were Adam Glen, who came from Dublin, via Belfast & then home to Liverpool, on his brand new GSA, Arthur & Pearl, 360+ miles from Cambridge on a K1200LT, Dennis & Alsion GS'ed all the way from South Wales & Andy and wife from Northern Ireland on their spanking 1150RT twin spark...plus many others, from far & wide....not to mention Kenny Rodkiss all the way from Hawick on a BMW Clio........or was it a Renault......

Today we had eight hardy souls braving the foul Scottish weather, but being GS'ers thought nothing of it......

(I promise not to mention Jack's slight 'get-off moment' as his Pan grappled with the camber........;) )

Nice to meet you all & trust you had safe journeys home:beerjug:

Attachments

• gps01.jpg
    gps01.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 108

Back
Top Bottom