Rear Brake - help!

SteveD

Arrived at work to find my rear brake has been binding.
Disk was hot and very shiny and not very flat.
Can I adjust the pads away from the disk without taking the whole shooting match to bits?
It's Brembo ABS on an 1100.
Live 35 miles away could ride home with restricted rear brake.
Any helpful suggestions (there's no bus service!).

Thanks
Steve.:mad:

Once it has cooled down, the pads should be clear of the disc. Check by spinning the rear wheel on the centre stand. Ride it home without using the rear brake and then strip and clean it.

May be worth stopping at the first garage you see and buying a can of brake cleaner and giving it a good spraying. This may just clean it up enough to save it and make it useable. It's worth a try for the sake of a couple of quid.

Thanks chaps,

Been outside, I can turn the wheel but it's stiff.

Worth calling RAC?

Steve.

Can you get a screwdriver in to lever the pads away from the disk . You should be able to insert it from the rear of the caliper and prise the pads apart. It takes a bit of gentle force - not brute strength - it is won't budge I reckon your caliper is seized and I'd be on the blower to the RAC . If you can move the pads apart then possibly the steel pin that you can see running accross the top of the caliper is just a bit scabby and not letting the pads move freely. This is a simple 2 minute job to tap it out , clean it and reinsert.

Okay, ask yourself this, do you think you could do a good enough job that it won't bind on the way home, on a corner, when you're motoring.
RAC sounds like a better bet TBH.

Yup that's the spirit - give up in the face of adversity. FFS this is not rocket science - if you can't clean a brake caliper pin you shouldn't be allowed out on a motorcycle. It's less complex than changing a spark plug.......they are the things that make sparks to ignite the fuel that makes the......oh forget it - Call the RAC :rolleyes:

press the caliper as hard as you can towards the disc, that'll push the pistons back in - you should then be able to ride it without it seizing .

Until you next apply the brake .

Thanks chaps

Wheel turns quietly.
Allways best to ask before reaching for the big hammer.

Tonight we clean brakes.

Steve.

I may have posted this twice.

Back
Top Bottom