A plea from a newbie

judgeged

Hi guys and girls im a newbie to the forum and ive joined to tell the whole world that after waiting for three yrs ive got a GS1150(well i pick it up Sat the 14th) ive got rid of my TR...ph Ti..r and got a proper bike.
Im riding my bike round normandy at the start of june (i sail at midnight on the 4th june and arrive in cherbourg at 0630 on the 5th) This is my first trip abroad as a rider (ive only been abroad on holiday once before and that was to my brothers in Germany) ive got a lot of riding experience over here(plus im an ex bike mechanic) but not abroad.My hotels are about 80 miles from cherbourg im staying at one for a few days then going down to near Mont St Michel for a few days then home.The first few days will be round the invasion beach area, including pegasus bridge then the rest will just be a holiday wander round a small bit of France.Ive tried to tie my visit in with the commemorations of D Day the 6th june so any help would be greatfully received
I'm going alone as my good lady has decided that she'd rather decorate the hall,stairs and landing instead of comming to france to "look at bullets for a week"?????
the type of adivce i need is more traffic orientated than anything else but i will accept all responses with open arms thanks guys and i'll report back when i come home to let you all know how i got on

ps ive got Sat Nav so i dont need directions(i may starve to death or freeze to death due to the lack of language) but at least i'll know where i am when i die)
Thanks again guys
Ged (lancashire)

I've done the Invasion Beaches several times, landing at Cherborg and leaving from Le Havre. Before breakfast you'll have time to ride down the eastern side of the peninsula and visit Utah Beach, then head inland to St Mere Eglise where you can park next to the church and have breakfast at the bar round the corner. By then, the US Airborne museum should be open.

After that you could visit Pointe du Hoc where the US Rangers assulted the cliffs, then Omaha Beach.

Port-en-Bessin-Huppain is the start of the British beaches and a good place for lunch. Just to the east at Longues-sur-Mer is a superb example of a german battery with the guns still in place and the control platform close to the cliffs.

Arromanches-les-Bains, otherwise known as Gold beach was the location for the British Mulberry harbour and has a superb museum explaining the workings. Try to get to Arromanches near low tide so you can walk out to some of the caissons, see http://meteo.france3.fr/marees/arromanches-les-bains.html

Juno and Sword beaches are now eavily developed, so I tend to bypass them. There's a brilliant ride heading east on the D175/D35 to Pegasus Bridge. This has another great museum dedicated to the 6th Airborne. You can also visit the cafe which was the first building liberated in France.

Tim

Nothing to do with the traffic but the Restaurant de Tourisme on the right just before you ride onto the causeway to Mont St Michel is very good and reasonably priced. I think it's the Formule Vert but it's 3 years since we were there....

Welcome aboard judgeged ;)

My contribution is just about the practicalities.....

Lay out everything you think you'll want, then halve it.

Even then, you'll have stuff with you that you won't need......so think again and ditch it.

Take a camera, a credit card, some cash (particularly if you're over there on a sunday..the frogs are rubbish when it comes to buying fuel on sundays) and a change of clothing.....anything else you can buy on a credit card.

Do a search using the button oop top BTW on fuel in France on Sundays....it can be a proper problem (DAMHIK).

Have fun.........take it easy and as a solo m/cyclist you'll find you're very welcome over there......refreshingly so after Blighty ;)

Buy some (only - rest are crap) Michelin paper maps of France

1:10km (Red) for all of France for route planning and smaller 1:2km (Yellow) for local exploring to find the best and most interesting roads

That way you'll find you're way around better,especially if you're GPS goes down/lost/nicked and maybe you might resign it to your panniers and become 'touchy-feely' with your new system of navigation, with a map

(From the GPS Luddite)

Oh Baglux do a good map case to go with their Tankcovers

Welcome to the forum...........just one question how the fcuk did you swing it to get SWMBO to do the decorating while you are out playing on your bike you lucky git ;)

What all the others said, good solid advice, but ditch the gps and do it with a Michelin road map. That way your head will be up looking at the scenery and road signs rather than concentrating on a small screen all the time.

Don't push yourself to hard to cram in to many places to visit, take your time and if something looks interesting go and have a look.

Lastly but most important, learn some French, you have got sufficent time left to have mastered a hundred words and be able to make your self understood in the basics. A Beritz simple phrase book is all you need, few quid from WH Smiths.
If you cock up it won't matter, and the locals will laugh with you rather than at you.

Have a great time and lets have a report with photos when you get back.

Noddy said:
What all the others said, good solid advice, but ditch the gps and do it with a Michelin road map. That way your head will be up looking at the scenery and road signs rather than concentrating on a small screen all the time.

Ignore this bit of Noddy (surname Ludd)'s advice :p - the rest of it is good...

Treat the GPS as an aid to navigation & you'll be fine, as well as finding places and seeing things you'd never manage with just a paper map (which you should have as well).

Noddy's just pissed off because he can't get the sundial on his 1100 to work.

Mike;)

as well as finding places and seeing things you'd never manage with just a paper map Mike;) [/B]

Like what ? Go on then, give me an example :rolleyes:

Last year my two GPS equipped mates insisted on leading me to the Hotel de ville, and couldn't understand why I was rolling on the floor as they started to unpack. Its true.

:D :D

Noddy said:
Like what ? Go on then, give me an example :rolleyes:

Like going from Applecross to Peterhead on only C class & unclassified roads - we never would've been able to find the roads or semi-hidden junctions without the GPS to confirm our position. Takes the stop & go out of navigating, but it's clearly not for everyone...

Mike:p

Noddy said:

Last year my two GPS equipped mates insisted on leading me to the Hotel de ville, and couldn't understand why I was rolling on the floor as they started to unpack. Its true.

:D :D

Says more about your friends than the GPS, doesn't it...

Mike:tosser:D

Mike O said:
Like going from Applecross to Peterhead on only C class & unclassified roads - we never would've been able to find the roads or semi-hidden junctions without the GPS to confirm our position. Takes the stop & go out of navigating, but it's clearly not for everyone...

Mike...............whilst I broadly agree that somebody who's competent with a GPS..........can make it 'sing and dance'.........however to a large majority............they're definitely the majority..........a GPS is 'handlebar jewellery' and can sometimes get them into more trouble. Believe me with some of the people, I've seen trying to use one - the results have been comical to say the least and they've turned the thing off and followed me, using a map

(Remember the saying - a little knowledge is dangerous)

I am a competent navigator and can lead myself and others trialriding (TRF) over fell tops with zero landmarks in fog and mist, with the aid of an OS map and compass.
I can also find some of the best roads and tracks with a (quality)map on my bike in the UK and Europe.
I have no need yet for a GPS IMHO (although after Judge's GS Club GPS training day tutorial, I'm warming to it)

Well, I'll demur to your position as a navigating God - for this mere mortal it's a very useful tool...

it's clearly not for everyone...
Mike:p [/B]

Not everyone has a use for one, the journey can be made far more interesting by stopping occasionally and looking around or even asking ! I have met so many facinating people and seen much more by doing so.

But each to his own. :)

Mike O said:
Says more about your friends than the GPS, doesn't it...

Mike:tosser:D

No I disagree, they bought into the sales blurb that the equiptment made them experts at finding the quickest/shortest route and would lead them to the nearest hotel, garage, or restaurant without the need for the ground work first.

But they are still me mates.

Mike O said:
Well, I'll demur to your position as a navigating God - for this mere mortal it's a very useful tool...

Never intimated that I was a navigating god, just a competent navigator with a decent detailed map and compass - offroad or onroad.

It's not difficult - man has been exploring the globe for thousands of years without a bloody GPS and some of the greatest feats of conquest have been achieved without them

The way some people go on about GPS on here...............you'd think they were Scott of the Antarctic or Ellen MacArthur.

We live in Western Europe (FFS), not the Sahara or Gobi deserts

A friend of mine is currently in Mongolia on his 650 Dakar, with his partner on her 50,000 mile 650 GS, on their way to China and guess what his 'all singing and dancing' GPS has packed in............kaput..........nada.........7 days ago

Naturally he was a little dismayed and bewildered.............as you would be, stuck in the wilds of Mongolia, however his partner, Sue (quickwitted as ever) wasn't the least bit fazed and 'piped' up - 'never mind Marco Polo managed to find his way around the world in the 14th Century- he didn't have a GPS'

So to get to Ulaan Batuur (sp) the capital of Mongolia............guess what he's got his maps and compass out and .............no sh1t he's got there with the help of a map.........out of the Desert.............wow!!!!!!!! Would you believe it in 2005..........with no GPS

He used his resources,asked some locals, used basic navigation skills, Mike and HE GOT THERE !!!

Remember Mike.................technology will always fail in some way.....however as humans we are ever resourceful

As I said before to 95% of motorcyclists who have GPS on their bikes.............I reckon it's all 'HANDLEBAR JEWELLERY', especially in GS circles..........like HG Stormtrooper suits,Sidi Couriers and Arai Tour-X's...........fine if you're going around the world...........but do you really need it to get down to the Land's End GS event or Bake's Hog Roast

JohnnyBoxer said:
but do you really need it to get down to the Land's End GS event or Bake's Hog Roast

I don't think you do need to use one for those kind of journeys, but I enjoy using it to do them. It's another skill I've aquired. It's quite a leap of faith to leave home without a map and just a GPS

Now I can use a GPS competently and navigate with a map and compass.

I am a navigation god :)

Back
Top Bottom