Good Waypoints and Routes

Swooper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having had my Streetpilot III for a few weeks now, I have learnt to appreciate who a fantastic piece of kit it is.

How about sharing good waypoints (cafes etc) as well as routes that anyone might wish to share.

I hope my IT skills will allow me to do this and have attached a couple of cafes that do good breakfasts.
:)

Attachments

• cafes.mps
    253 bytes · Views: 168
Re: waypoints

Swooper,
Great idea - but what about the OTHER great cafes in your waypoints list!! ?
The narrower the lane the more fun it is!
Sherpa:p

Ok here are some more

Looking forward to see other contributions

Attachments

• cafes.mps
    1.2 KB · Views: 114
Waypoints etc.

;) If we find anymore good cafes Monday (whilst you're hard at work!!) I'll let you know Swooper
Keep it upright!
Sherpa:p

Now these are the kind of waypoints that we need and most in my area too.

Cheers Swooper

waypoints

Mark Rodgers said:
This thread seems to have dried up. It would be a good idea for everyone to post thier useful waypoint list (Top cafes, pubs etc) which others could download if ever travelling to or through that particular area?
if you search on this site there is already a thread with lots of waypoints similar to these already, no point in having different posts on the same subject
John

I hereby volunteer to collate them and make them available for download on my website (which is pretty idle at the moment).

Just e-mail them to me with a short description and I`ll see if BHT will put a link to them somewhere on the site.

NB I found an easy to medium off road route in Hope Valley, Derbyshire today thats a pukka road with none of that RUPP nonsense.

Your Mission, Mr Hall, should you chose to accept it, is to find a good source for the WP's for GATSO's......andhow to convert these WP's into POI's so they can be downloaded as map features rather than just being able to have 50 WP's saved....

I've been looking for a week and i'm usually pretty good at Googling and using Copernicus.......still haven't sussed it though.

PS this message will self destruct in 10.....9.........8.....7.......6.....5...4............

Fanum said:
Your Mission, Mr Hall, should you chose to accept it, is to find a good source for the WP's for GATSO's......andhow to convert these WP's into POI's so they can be downloaded as map features rather than just being able to have 50 WP's saved....

You`ve confused me with someone with a brain.....I can just about stick these things on the web. Read previous post about me revealing myself as an old tosser. (I`ve left myself open for some smutty comments there!)

I think this is worth pursuing ya know.....I've found databases for the Tom Tom system and for the CE based PDA type units, but not one for the SPIII which seems odd.......someone out there must have done one!!

It's possible to convert them but with several thousand gatso's out there, it'd need a batch converter or a spreadsheet guru to do it (unless anyone knows a dedicated trappist monk with PC skills :) )

There doesn't appear to be a way with MapSource to "load" your own POI - however, I have been looking at the list of Gatsos from http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php
and it should be fairly easy to write a utility program to "Import" (as waypoints) those Gatsos near a given route. However, before I go any further with this - would anyone actually find this useful ?

Fatboy food

For the collator, FIO, LIO, PLONK, CO, TFFTS (too fat for the streets), or whoever, etc.

I thoroughly recommend:

Silver Ball Near Royston N52 00.547 W0 01.466

Smokey Joes Near Redruth N50 15.610 W5 11.479

"The Owl" A30 Westbound in Cornwall near Devon Border

All excellent

Bonjour.

:D

Clive said:
There doesn't appear to be a way with MapSource to "load" your own POI - however, I have been looking at the list of Gatsos from http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php
and it should be fairly easy to write a utility program to "Import" (as waypoints) those Gatsos near a given route. However, before I go any further with this - would anyone actually find this useful ?

Clive, I would find this useful, nice to know where the enemy is

Import....

Clive said:

Imported the xls file into AutoRoute......Warning if your sailing in the Indian Ocean watch your speed.

Should be easy enough to fix thou.....

:D :D

Attachments

• gatso.jpg
    gatso.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 150
Re: Import....

Mick_rw said:
Imported the xls file into AutoRoute......Warning if your sailing in the Indian Ocean watch your speed.

Should be easy enough to fix thou.....

:D :D
Have moved the GATSO's back to the UK, in the excel file the Lat/Long were the wrong way round. Have redone it and this is what the UK looks like with GATSO's. I have no idea why there is one in the North Sea. As to numbers there are 3241 cameras. Next is to try and move them to Mapsource

Attachments

• gatso2.jpg
    gatso2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 143
Re: Re: Import....

Mick_rw said:
As to numbers there are 3241 cameras. Next is to try and move them to Mapsource

I now have an MPS file which my Mapsources loads ok, shows all 3241 GATSO's spread across the UK. It takes about 20 years to load it, have not tried any of them on my GPS as its away being repaired. So if anyone wants a copy I will make it available. You will need to load it to your Mapsource then delete all the GATSO's not in your area. Ohterwise it will be to large for your GPS memory.

Hmmm........seems to me there are some problems here.......(for us SPIII users anyway)
You can't get an SPIII to warn you of a POI......if you happen to notice one come up on the screen then fine, but otherwise (and i might well be wrong) you have a problem.

Secondly, gatsos are going up at an alarming rate...from that map above alone I know it's out of date (see that big gap in the middle of kent??? no gatsos?? uh-huh.) and for this to work (worthy and interesting though it is) someone would have to tap into a regularly updated database and do all the gubbins to convert it.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on it.....in fact initially i was dead keen (read above...it's an old thread ressurrected) but unless someone can convert this for use on a GPS that will be of practical use, I'd hate to see lots of work and effort going to waste.

Fanum said:
Hmmm........seems to me there are some problems here.......(for us SPIII users anyway)
You can't get an SPIII to warn you of a POI......if you happen to notice one come up on the screen then fine, but otherwise (and i might well be wrong) you have a problem.

Secondly, gatsos are going up at an alarming rate...from that map above alone I know it's out of date (see that big gap in the middle of kent??? no gatsos?? uh-huh.) and for this to work (worthy and interesting though it is) someone would have to tap into a regularly updated database and do all the gubbins to convert it.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on it.....in fact initially i was dead keen (read above...it's an old thread ressurrected) but unless someone can convert this for use on a GPS that will be of practical use, I'd hate to see lots of work and effort going to waste.

I don't know if the 2610/Navigator can "auto warn you" either.

Also I don't know how often the "database" is updated on that web site.

When you are looking at a particular section of map in MapSource you can easily note the min/max lat/lon of that map section - my thoughts were that by entering those into a utility it could read the .XLS/.CSV file and then enter those Gatsos within the bounds of the map section as "categorised" Waypoints. You could then plan your route either bypassing them, or as a route waypoint so it will inform you when the waypoint is coming up. i.e. hopefully you wouldn't have to go through many hoops after a fresh "database" download.

Also, I have been looking at some of the Export file formats from MapSource and I was thinking that maybe by analysing the "route" data the utility could also set up waypoints for Gatsos within "x miles" either side of the route.

More of a technical exercise than anything, but it would need people to "use" it to see how it could be improved, or that it was a waste of time :)

Of course, I personally can't see the point of being warned when Gatsos are coming near, they are generally not hard to miss, and anyway you shouldn't be speeding ;) , but other "databases" of "things" are available so perhaps the utility could be extended. Even better would be proper SDK availability :)

Re: Re: Re: Import....

Mick_rw said:
So if anyone wants a copy I will make it available.

Could I have a copy please ?.
I don't have any appropriate software to import the .csv file to MapSource and I'd like to play around a bit with the data.

Back
Top Bottom