Got some play in my rear end!!

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just passed another MOT but the back wheel showed some signs of play which I think comes from the bearing that pivots the shaft... is it easy to adjust? as I'm thinking about doing the next service myself. Thanks

Wreford Miles said:
Just passed another MOT but the back wheel showed some signs of play which I think comes from the bearing that pivots the shaft... is it easy to adjust? as I'm thinking about doing the next service myself. Thanks

Paralever bearings? To check where the play is:

Bike on centre stand,

Place palm of hand on end of swingarm & the fingers on the bevel box,

Get someone to try waggling the rear wheel, with their hands in the 3 & and the 12 & 6 (o'clock) positions,

If the Paralever bearings have play in them, you'll feel the bevel box moving independently of the swingarm. If it's the main bearing in the bevel box itself, the wheel will move independent of the bevel box.

Mine was like this a month ago, 2 new bearings for £30 from Sherlocks solved it. Took about 2 hours but that included cleaning everything thoroughly.

If you've never serviced the bike yourself yet, swapping bearings may be beyond you?

Not taking the piss, just that you need decent Torque Wrenches, heat source to soften the Loctite (I used a Heat Gun) & a bit of mechanical knowledge & sympathy - I don't know your abilities?

Wreford Miles said:
Thanks Steve.... I thought these berings could be adjusted to take the slack out

Yes they can.

30 mm socket to undo locknut.

12 allen key to adjust.

Ideally to 8NM preload, but given that it's so feckin tight due to the loctite try about an eighth of a turn, (use felt tip pen) and see if play has gone, Don't overtighten as this will shorten life of bearing.

Tim

Wreford Miles said:
I thought these berings could be adjusted to take the slack out
The pivot bearings can indeed be tightened if they are in good condition. Remove the rear wheel, and use a heat gun to loosen the Loctite on the large locknut (30mm) and its bearing pivot bolt on the left side of the swingarm. You shouldn't need to remove the right side unless you are replacing/repacking the bearings. You are supposed to apply the required torque to the bearing pivot (12 mm Allen) and then lock it while preventing any further tightening.
I recommend loosening the torque reaction arm. This allows the pivoting of the bevel box so that you can feel the condition of the bearings. There should be some friction from the bearings, but the movement should be smooth. Instead of applying the specified torque, which is very small and, therefore, imprecise, I prefer to tighten the bearing pivot 1/4 turn past the point of contact. With the torque arm still removed, I can also ensure that the friction has not increased after I have locked the pivot with its lock nut. Use some blue Loctite.

Back
Top Bottom