Hogroast Fords Ride plan

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
At Bake's request, I know what I'll be doing on the Saturday of the Hog Roast.

Shitty job, but someone's gotta do it ;)

I'm going to do my usual recce on the day before to check water levels etc, but as it's only an hour or two away, I'm going to do a recce in the next few weeks if anyone fancies a bit of a splosh about :D

The proposed route at the moment is as follows;

1 Sarson , Offroad, only a mile or two from the Hogroast site;

'Channels of Pillhill Brook pass either side of a house, presumably once a mill, and a third passes under the building, all to meet again in this rather overgrown ford. The base is the pebbly bed of the stream. The ford is up to a foot in depth (no depth gauge), and about 40 yards long. A sign forbids parking, but does not warn of the ford.'

sarson1.jpg

Ford 2; Goodworth Clatford Offroad,
'Attractive but sizeable ford, about 35 yards long, on Green Meadow Lane. In the absence of a depth gauge, I estimated a depth of about 18 inches in the middle. The base is the stony bed of the River Anton. There is a smooth approach from a stone road in the north, but the southern exit has a lip of about 4 inches where the concrete has been eroded. Signs near to both ends warn of a ford 'unsuitable for motor vehicles', but tyre marks leading into the ford were evident. A good footbridge crosses the river. Plenty of ducks and fish in the clear water.'

goodworth%20clatford1.jpg

Ford 3; Houghton, Offroad, restricted acces.....
This could be the highlight ford of the day ;)

'Big ford across the River Test, with footbridge.'

houghton1.jpg

Ford 4; Broughton, 'suitable for all'.....
'Nice shady ford on the edge of an attractive downland village. About 20 yds across, concrete bottom, footbridge, Ford signs. The depth gauge read 1ft on my visit, but (like several others in Hampshire) the actual depth was more like six inches.'

broughton1.jpg

Ford 5, Dandy's ford, Suitable for all...just a pretty place to ride through;

This is a fine example: about 25ft across, with a paved bottom. The depth gauge indicated the standard Hampshire foot of water, but there was only about 8in and my Audi road car was not threatened.'

dandys%20ford1.jpg

Ford 6, Droxford......Another possible highlight...this one's 183 metres long WOOOOOOT!!!!!!

'The smooth gravel beds of Hampshire's famous shallow, crystal clear trout streams must have made excellent cartways, cheaply maintained by nature. Here the bed of the River Meon forms for 183 metres part of Mill Lane, which links Droxford to Brockbridge. It is best approached from the north end at SU609184, via Mill Lane from Brockbridge; there's more room to park without upsetting local residents.

The roadway drops down a ramp into the stream (Image 1), while the footway crosses a bridge which gives a good view down the length of the ford (Image 2). In summer, the river is otherwise mostly screened from the asphalt path by a jungle of tall nettles. Just below the bridge is a depth gauge with measurements in strange units that are about four inches each (Image 3). The ramp shows little sign of vehicular traffic.

This stretch of river is shaded by trees (Images 4 & 5). If travelling down it, look out for the exit, shortly after the mill race (keep well to left past this), as it is overgrown and would be easy to overshoot. In Image 6 it is between the clumps of reeds in direct line with the "marker buoy" of a floating plastic container - but don't count on that being there! On the exit ramp itself, at the time of my visit there were motorcycle tyre marks in the mud (Image 7 , but little other evidence of regular use.

My impression is that any heavy or frequent use of this ford by large groups of motorbikes or 4x4s would not be welcomed by locals, as the southern exit passes through some rather classy housing, and residents' pressure could lead to its closure, as in other examples of attractively located fords given in wetroads. I therefore suggest that it be used in moderation only, and with due consideration.'

droxford1.jpg

droxford2.jpg

droxford4.jpg

droxford5.jpg

droxford7.jpg

Ford 7, Exton. Needs a recce;
'On an overgrown green lane off the A32 with very deep ford (18 - 24 inches in summer) across the river Meon. Stick close to the barbed wire for the shallowest passage but if the water is up to the level of the wire, go home!'

exton1.jpg
exton2.jpg

Ford 8, Tichbourne,
'At each end of this lane between watercress beds, Ford - Deep and No Through Road signs warn of this fine gravel-bottomed example, about 20 yards across. The depth gauge indicated one foot of water, and no doubt there was at least that in the middle, but close to the wire on the opposite side to the footbridge there was only about 6 inches, and I took my Audi through with no trouble.'

tichbourne1.jpg

Ford 9, Longparish, offroad,
'Crosses the River Test and is too deep for a car (it is about 2-3 car lengths long) and with a pebbly bottom. Has a depth gauge, showing about 2-3ft a few weeks ago. Roadway to the side of ford has been restricted to only allow horses/pedestrians. Easy road access to and from it.'

longparish1.jpg

Although some are 'offroad', I expect they'll all be doable on Tourances as usual...there are some nice roads inbetween the fords, and the total route is around 100 miles, with a pub lunch somewhere along the way.

It should be a bloody good day out :thumb

I am nothing to do with this or anything else that certain people do I`m am totally ex-ol-or-ated from it all, it has nothing to do with the HOGROAST in name or anything.

These people take it apon them selfs to orgaines something that is possably totally ill-eagle.

STOP ALL THIS FRAVOLLATE, IT DANGEROUS and could end you in trobles

Back
Top Bottom