Anakee's

Snooky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had a set of these fitted, due to the major lack of tourances around, and they were inflated to 32/36, is this right, thought they used to be 36/42 front/rear
Or have they changed them again?
Although they did feel fine, but wouldn't like to wear them too quickly due to wrong pressure

Michelin themselves say 32/36 (2.2 & 2.5 bar) for the 1100, 1150 and 1200GSs

Greg

Different from the 020's I had before but expected that, done 100miles on them since yesterday and seem fine no slips or slides yet

What are they like price wise compared to the Tourance, have you used Tourance before?

Not too sure as the new V rated Tourances seem to be more expensive, but these were £195 for the pair ride in ride out, not had Tourances so can't compare yet.

Excuse the interuption but thought I would just insert this.

Had a pair of V-rated Avon Distanzia's fitted a few weeks ago (£163) and they are very good. I changed both Michelins after less than 6K miles as the handling was getting very un-predictable.

Handling in the dry with the Avons is really very excelent, much better than the Michelins ever were. Can't really comment about the wet as I always tend to take it steady anyway but no undue surprises yet.
Have been playing with the pressures and after a call to Avon I have settled at 36/42.
Funnily enough I have found I can now lower the suspension settings and still retain the handling whereas with the Michelins, softer settings meant the handling went off.

Thanks for that Al, which model Michelins did you have?

OK not being rude, but can we get away from the tyre debate and back to the pressures, I know what the recommended ones are, and Micheldever are good at checking this as they fit them, but wondered if like other peeps, you ignor the recommended and go for the 36/42 split?

For solo riding I run 32/36, however, my tyre dealer said that people often run 36/42 to get more wear from the tyres, but this is at the expense of handling.

I've run on Bridgstones (crap) and then always on Tourances until about one month ago. I fitted Anakees for my Pyrenees run last week. After 1000 miles of twisties and 3000 miles in total I would say that the Tourances are better overall. I can get the Anakees over further but they are not as sure footed as the Tourances and do twitch a little (IMO).

Les

Can't remember the model type but they were the OE fitment which were then replaced by Anakees.

The pressures recomeneded by Avon were on the high side of those in the handbook but certainly made the handling sharper, dropping the pressure down a few PSI made the steering heavier (as you would expect!).

One thing I did notice (and commented on in my earlier reply) is that suspension settings can be lowered yet the sharp handling retained.
With the Michelins I kept the syspension quite hard whether I was heavily loaded or not. With the Avons I can now soften the suspension if I am carrying less weight yet still keep the sharp handling, improves the ride quality no-end.

Thought I'd check the pressures tonight seeing as they have been on for a few days now, Front 34 rear 40, So guess being warm it will change, but when is the best time to check, hot or cold, I have always done mine warm, but been told it should be cold, So what do you all say??

Pressures

Snooky said:
Thought I'd check the pressures tonight seeing as they have been on for a few days now, Front 34 rear 40, So guess being warm it will change, but when is the best time to check, hot or cold, I have always done mine warm, but been told it should be cold, So what do you all say??
Due to air expansion through heat, it is best to take a tyre pressure when it is "cold" (ambient air temperature), as this is what the manufacturers use as their base settings. As the tyre is used the carcase will expand with heat, and the air will also be expanding and this will help to partially compensate for the increased area.....Ok, well thats in theory anyways...but what do I know??!!

Back
Top Bottom