Fuel on route?

scorp888

Reaction score
Now it could be my addled old brain. But I thought my old garmin unit had fuel on route?

So you plan your route home for example and say, I want to add a via - fuel on route.

However for the life of me I can't seem to get this to work (I don't want the nearest petrol station if it's:

a) Off of a motorway that I'm on.
b) The opppsite direction I'm going.

So this would seem like a feature most would want? (Along with reading the fuel range from the bike and auto doing it :) )

Am I mistaken and it was another gps app / device that does it?

Ian

Think you could do it in Mapsource/Basecamp when you were planning the trip?

Not sure about on the actual nav unit though

Al

I'm aware you can do it in basecamp. But you'd think when you're on a trip and needing fuel, then finding a petrol station along that route would be a desirable trait :)
But since I've used a load of different gps, and software gps packages, I might just be thinking of another piece of software.

Most Garmin devices show fuel stations, the modern ones with all sorts of options, like: Where I am now, at my destination, on my route. Going from memory, if you then select a station and then select 'show' it will display the station in a smaller window on the screen, superimposing the fuel station symbol onto the magenta line of the route you are running. That smaller window can, if I recall correctly, be zoomed in and out whilst on the move. You then have to make an imaginative jump to work out whether the fuel station suits your needs. In short, it doesn't do it all for you. That's how it should be, as it builds confidence and celebrates a true Adventure (with a capital A) bikermate's rugged self-reliance, independence of thinking and ultimately, freedom from the chains that bind lesser men.

If you need fuel whist riding a route

get to the "where to" screen and there is an icon for fuel select it and it will give you a list of fuel stops you can then ask it to show the fuel on your current route

on most garmin units you can set notification to pop up when you have done X amount of miles to tell you you need fuel, if you then tap the icon that appears it will give you a list of nearest petrol stations.

If you need fuel whist riding a route

get to the "where to" screen and there is an icon for fuel select it and it will give you a list of fuel stops you can then ask it to show the fuel on your current route

I thought that the "Up Ahead" function was only available on the Zumo 590 / 595 / 390 / 395 units? Could be wrong. Otherwise the way to do it is as quoted. Believe you can only do this on your GPS unit in the settings.

I thought that the "Up Ahead" function was only available on the Zumo 590 / 595 / 390 / 395 units? Could be wrong. Otherwise the way to do it is as quoted. Believe you can only do this on your GPS unit in the settings.

I dont have mine to hand to talk/walk through the exact steps but there is the on current route option when you do the where to - fuel thing on the Nav 5 I would be very suprised if that has been taken away as a feature of the NAV 6

Back
Top Bottom