Bronze filings on back wheel!

rob18362

Reaction score
Help!
I've noticed that my back wheel (GS1150) has a fine dusting of metal deposited on the rim. The bike is 1999 with 70k miles on it.
The metal dust looks a bronze colour and I assume that is from a bush somewhere that is giving up the fight.
Any ideas where to start looking?
Cheers, Rob.

I would check the brake pads first,it sounds like it's just sintered brake dust,there's not much else around there to make dust!If it's not that,then go and get a grown up to look at it;)

Vern said:
I would check the brake pads first,it sounds like it's just sintered brake dust,there's not much else around there to make dust!If it's not that,then go and get a grown up to look at it;)

Pads worn down to the backing plate? Static inner pad seems to wear 3 x faster than the outer pad on my 1150?

Steve Pickford said:
Pads worn down to the backing plate? Static inner pad seems to wear 3 x faster than the outer pad on my 1150?

Yep same here on mine.

Steve Pickford said:

Check that the caliper pin (where it mounts to the carrier) isn't seized!

Greg

Not the brake pads

Thanks for the replies.
I should have said that I checked the pads as I assumed the same, they are fine so that's not the cause.
Anyone got any other ideas?
Cheers, Rob.

Have you been off roading in an open cast bronze mine ?

i try to avoid them myself, cos you get lots of bronze dust on the back wheel rim.....

Back
Top Bottom