Touratech hard parts?

Sea Lion

Reaction score
I was browsing through the Touratech catalogue the other day(like you do), in particular the hard parts for the telelever wishbone and gearbox mount bracket on an 1100GS.

That is not the first time I've read about potential damage to the wishbone and gearbox in a fall, even if falling off the side stand.

Has anyone had any experience of them and what's your opinion on if they are necessary or a waste of money? Has anyone ever suffered said damage.

I try not to fall off or drop the bike but it has happened! In which case a cracked gearbox casing would just about be the icing on the cake!

PS Great forum by the way! Have picked up and incredible amount of GS info from it. :thumb

Sea Lion said:
I was browsing through the Touratech catalogue the other day(like you do), in particular the hard parts for the telelever wishbone and gearbox mount bracket on an 1100GS.

That is not the first time I've read about potential damage to the wishbone and gearbox in a fall, even if falling off the side stand.

Has anyone had any experience of them and what's your opinion on if they are necessary or a waste of money? Has anyone ever suffered said damage.

I try not to fall off or drop the bike but it has happened! In which case a cracked gearbox casing would just about be the icing on the cake!

PS Great forum by the way! Have picked up and incredible amount of GS info from it. :thumb

Welcome to the site Sea Lion

As for the Touratech stuff, complete and utter waste of money............... but its better to be safe than sorry!

Make your own mind up :confused:

BTBR

Don't expect to see anything you order from TT in a hurry. I think they have a stockroom the size of a matchbox in UK so everything has to come from Germany.
Just a tip that forward thinking may be required if you decide on the parts.

Manch said:
Don't expect to see anything you order from TT in a hurry. I think they have a stockroom the size of a matchbox in UK so everything has to come from Germany.
Just a tip that forward thinking may be required if you decide on the parts.

I have dealt with them in the past and agree. However the dual pricing policy (i.e. UK pays more) I find grates the most.

I dropped my fully laden Adv a couple of times from near stationary.

7283670-M.jpg

When I got to give it a well deserved re-fit on my return to the UK, I was interested to see that the Telelever hard part had distorted slightly- there was also a substantial ding in the extended bask plate (covering the centre stand).

There was no damage to the steering stops or the gearbox - so I suppose they did their job.

If you break the steering stops, it's an MoT failure, I believe...

Mike:)

Manch said:
I think they have a stockroom the size of a matchbox in UK.

They must have had an extension then.:D :D

I think that the hardpart for the 1100 gearbox is worth buying - it's a very expensive repair - in fact so expensive that BMW Australia developed their own 'hardpart' and fitted it foc to any Oz biker that asked. Did around a bit and find the BMW part numbers.

The front hardpart is a different matter. I can't say that the stock won't get broken, but reports seem pretty few and far between. That said, I have one on my 1150 - but I've never dropped it to see how well it works!

Greg

Sea Lion said:

Hi Sea Lion,

The hardpart that fits over the front of the wishbone is a worthwhile addition. If the bike falls hard then the steering stop breaks and the whole front suspension gets distorted - £1500 to sort that lot out.

I think the TT part is about £60, but a few on here have just stuck bits of off-road tyre to the wishbone and (they say) achieved the same level of protection.

(Looks a bit shit tho!!)

Welcome BTW

:beerjug:

I should have said that I had a crash where the front telelever distorted, still paying for it via my premiuims - hard part was the first thing to be fitted to my repaired bike, Hepco and Becker engine bars second.

Back
Top Bottom