hoisting

Sousajack

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Yup, I'm new here so a big 'Hello' to all....
I've not yet purchased my bike but I'm set on an F800GS (not sure what year just yet). Anyway, here's an interesting one for you; I'd like to store the bike from time to time (when I'm away) in a spot which is down two steps, however, a ramp is really out of the question as space is a bit tight. So, my idea is to lower the bike (and raise it back up again) on a simple gantry-type 'crane'. I'm well-versed in lifting operations so happy with this but I'm wondering if anybody here has lifted a bike from above and, if so, where would be the recommended slinging points? Looking at the 800 it has a spot on the running through the frame just above the swingarm pivot. My idea is to lift say 80% of the weight here and balance the remaining weight from the bars.
Any ideas or criticism welcomed here, if you think it's a daft idea just let me know - I'm pretty thick skinned!! :)
Cheers!

Never done it myself but I'd want to spread the weight over more than 1 lifting point. Personally i would try using 2 x 1 tonne endless strops, perhaps through the rear wheel and the top steering yolk.

Cheers Stever1. Yes, I thought about this option also. Not lifting far or for a long time either.

Back
Top Bottom