Problem with loading routes into Basecamp routing as the crow flies between waypoints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
I have had a look for this, but feel free to direct me to an existing thread if its already covered. :beerjug:

When importing a GPX file (in this case a ride route) into basecamp, Basecamp only shows it as an 'as the crows fly' route with straight lines between the waypoints, not following the road. When I export it to the Garmin, it stays as straight lines between waypoints.

I've also had this in trying to import a GPX file from a colleage, but when I create a route manually in basecamp its fine. :nenau

Maps are up to date on 2018.1, route preferences are set for motorcycling, gpx file looks ok. I've tried converting the route to 'tracks' but still stays as straight lines.

Any ideas what causes it to not force a road route between waypoints ?

RBW.

Check your preferences are not set to "offroad". You may be adopting settings that are contained in the .gpx file.
When you send to the device, don't send the folder but instead, select all the routes you want (within the folder) and then send those.

NB have you ever noticed that crows tend to fly in circles?

Thanks for the reply, activity is set as Motorcycling (which sets the route preferences), and I've looked at these and they all look ok. I've also tried 'driving' activity but still does the same.

I havent got the Garmin unit with me now, so can't check the final thing you mention about sending routes, so will test that later.

R.

Check your preferences are not set to "offroad". You may be adopting settings that are contained in the .gpx file.
When you send to the device, don't send the folder but instead, select all the routes you want (within the folder) and then send those.

NB have you ever noticed that crows tend to fly in circles?

Double click on the route 'name', which opens up the details of the route (waypoints, shaping points etc) in a seperate (smaller) screen. Then click on the "recalculate" button -it is the middle one of the three buttons found at the bottom, left-hand side of this route info screen. It is a circular arrowhead shape.

This will then 'recalculate' the road and your straight lines will be routed along actual roads

Recalculating is the answer, it also allows you to check the route and maybe make adjustments before you download it. A few minutes on the PC can save an awful lot of frustration out on the road. I would also check what you have as "motorcycling" Some of the Garmin defaults for this produced very strange routing.

John

wich ride routes are you using, a link would help as i have never had this issue with a ride route, or the name of the tour. Recalculating as above will work but it may also alter the route considerably, so be careful to check after recalculation, like i said a link to the route would help.

Paul08, your a star thanks, this worked perfectly and your instructions were really clear. :beerjug: This has been frustrating me for ages.

The Grey One, thanks, Basecamp runs on a Mac and is not very intuative at all (in my opinion).

Leedude, I either recalculate it, or cant use it as it wont work. If you look at the GPX file for the Torquay route on http://www.ride.co.uk/magazine-routes/routes-from-ride-magazine (I cant see a way to link directly to a specific route, but just type in Torquay and look for the route 4 down which is titled JUN17 Torquay and 155 miles), you will see that the only contents of the file are the waypoints (open it up in a text editor). The only difference when you load this will be that the recalculation happens automatically, so all I am doing is forcing what should happen when the route is loaded, but for some reason is not.

Thanks all !

RBW.

Double click on the route 'name', which opens up the details of the route (waypoints, shaping points etc) in a seperate (smaller) screen. Then click on the "recalculate" button -it is the middle one of the three buttons found at the bottom, left-hand side of this route info screen. It is a circular arrowhead shape.

This will then 'recalculate' the road and your straight lines will be routed along actual roads

As i thought your problem now becomes clear, you are downloading the route from motogolocos mapping software and not the actual ride site from the route link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom