Free Garmin Topo maps for Iceland

I tried downloading this and getting it into Mapsource V6.5 but was unsuccessful. The error message says something like "a problem was found near line zero. No spaces were found after the record ID". Did anyone manage it OK?

Chris

Iceland!

Much, much more detail than before! I can even see my mate Halfsteinns street in Hafnarfjorður!

Still nothing for some of the outlying villages but there usually only a couple of streets anyway!

Thanks Migsel:thumb

Sure, but I'm just the piano player :)

Cheers,
Michel

How Far

Does any one know how far a complete lap of highway 1 is. Or an acurate way of measuring it. Thanks

Route 1

Hi Shorty,

I'm thinking it's about 900miles! I've done all of it twice but can't remember exactly! I've ridden it both ways from Seyðisfjorður round to Rékjavik and back but went round the Westfjords the last time which added a lot of miles riding round to Ísafjorður and the simply amazing Dynjandi waterfall where I saw my first White Tailed Sea Eagle!!:thumb

Hope this helps FP.

Thanks for the info Farmer Palmer, thats what i thought but i would like to know the exact distance as i was planning to cycle round it.If you have any tips or ideas please let me know. Thanks

Cycling Iceland? Respect!!

Hi Shorty,

Strong headwinds in Iceland!!:eek: I did meet a deaf German girl who cycled the ringroad in 05, she was really fit.....!(in the fit sense!):bow

I 'used' to ride Audax before my lardy GSing days and once rode the London-Edinburgh-London in 90 hours! Iceland would have been harder maybe!(I'm thinking what would be the best way to ride the ringroad, clockwise or anti?)

Iceland is a great place to cycle though and the ringroad is mostly tarmac these days but it's a fair distance between some of the the towns so I'd recommend carrying plenty of spare food etc!

Give me a pm if you need any maps or more detailed info on campsites etc

Cheers FP.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom