Snapped spoke

Muddy

Maybe worth giving your spokes a quick check. Just happened to be pushing the bike around the other day without my helmet on and heard the now familiar sound of a broken spoke.

That's the third to go now. All on the rear wheel, bike's done less than 8k.

Attachments

• p1010095.jpg
    p1010095.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 212
Worrying,but not quite as bad as my front wheel.....:D

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 185
Muddy said:
Maybe worth giving your spokes a quick check. Just happened to be pushing the bike around the other day without my helmet on and heard the now familiar sound of a broken spoke.

That's the third to go now. All on the rear wheel, bike's done less than 8k.

Funny that...........

No spokes broke on my 2000 R1150GS - 25,000 miles

3-4 Spokes broke on the Rear Wheel of my 2002 R1150GS (I lost faith in the strength of that wheel and BMW replaced under Warranty...........fine from then on) - 22,000 miles

No Spokes broke on my 2004 R1150GS - 7700 miles

I summise.......must be a problem with a batch of 2002 Rear R1150GS wheels

Muddy said:
Its a 2002 1150. Do the 1200's have spokes?

Spokes or alloys, so yes.

Hmm....maybe, but not been reported here that I've read.....

Perhaps more likely that Muddy might have a problem with his wheel (ie after kerbing it etc) ???

Muddy...it's the third on the same wheel......I reckon it's fekked for some reason.......

HAve you tried putting her up on the centre stand, weighing down the front and spinning the rear wheel???

Hold a pen to the rim and see if it's warped.

Too much of a coincidence I reckon.

Re: Re: Snapped spoke

JohnnyBoxer said:

Fraid not....

I had spokes snap.....twice, in the rear of 'CC I', a Y2K 1150...:(

Replaced under warranty, but I had already decided to go down the alloy route by then..

CC

:cool:

The first spoke snapped about a year ago, quickly followed by the second i.e. couple of days later. Possibly as a result of the first one going?

Now a third has gone so I'm waiting for another to go soon...?

I checked the trueness of the wheel and its ok. Bike's never been kerbed or used off road in anger. My thoughts were that its just a bad batch of spokes because they've all snapped right at the very tip (missing in the photo above) i.e. at the rim end.

If a new spoke goes then I'll get more worried about finding a new wheel. Its worth checking your bikes though because I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't pushing the bike around without my helmet on.

Back
Top Bottom