Oman plans

Richard Stallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The plans at the moment are, finish work on Sunday morning 07:00hrs. Start to all the stuff together for the trip to Oman. Insurance papers, Passport, New goggles (clear and dark) Tent, tools, Satalite phone, Camelback, a few clothes, maps and camera.

Wednesday or Thursday Go to the East coast and meet up with Bernd who I'm riding with to Oman, last time we did this we drank too much that night and ended up calling the trip off, so a few drinks over dinner and then off to bed for hopfully an early start either Thursday or Friday morning.

Ride to Muscat and meet up with another guy Dick Danielsson (spelling, he's from Sweden) Dick lives in Oman and wants to join us on the trip. Now the Plan is to ride to Masirah Island, been there once before but in the 4X4 with trailer and windsurfers, interesting place off the East coast. From Muscat we can go 2 ways South and then East to the ferry port or follow the caost which is the way we would like to go only problem being the Wahiba sands which block our way, can get through them on lighter bikes but the GS might be a bit of a struggle and with temperatures now being in the 100 deg + mark getting stuck is not my idea of fun. Trying to find information about traks and maybe even taking the beach.
Will keep you posted on progress.

Cheers Richard:beerjug:

Attachments

• wahiba sands..jpg
    wahiba sands..jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 209
Please do keep us posted!

About GS on very hot wheather - just get it moving and it's OK even on higher temperatures. On cities if you have to stop on idle speed check FID for engine temperature often, if it get's to redline pull over to stop and cool it down.

Ride safe, Margus

Trip

All I can say at the moment is that we covered 3000kms in 6 days.

Went from 46C in the mountain wadi's to 22C on top of the mountains at night (2000 meters up.) l

Longest day was day one 13 hours in the sassle. Longest distance travelled in 1 day 703kms.

Found some really strange dancing girls in Sur.

Got rained on, blowen about by some amazing desert winds.

Will try to put a full trip report together when I'm on nights. until then enjoy some sample photos.

Cheers Richard.

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 096a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 096a.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 134
another

Sorry for the quality after resizing their a bit fuzzy my fault camera on wrong setting.

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 019a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 019a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 131
A smooth part of the wadi's

The going was nice on this stuff you should have seen the rough tracks, didn't want to stop and take pictures once moving better to keep going.

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 108a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 108a.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 133
Dry as a bone on one side of the road.

Dry as a witches Whatever!!

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 015a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 015a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 128
and on the other side of the road.

lush green vegitation with camels grazing.

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 024a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 024a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 127
Finally

Reached the 50000kms mark, anywhere for a service out here???

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 069a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 069a.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 124
Sunrise.

Jebel Shams 2040 meters.

amazing paid £40.00 for a room with 2 beds and a patio and shower, Chicken curry with salad and water melon for dinner and omelets and toast with plenty of coffee in the morning.
Truly amazing.

will be going back there with the wife sometime Oh and the views where free and breath taking.

Attachments

• oman trip june 9th 2005 167a.jpg
    oman trip june 9th 2005 167a.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 122
Absolutely awsome!

Always wanted to see the desert on arabian peninsula.

Must be hard heat there at that time?

Can't wait for the report! :)

Thanks for sharing, Margus :beerjug:

yes, that's all very nice and pretty but where are the photos of the dancing girls from Sur:confused:

Oman Plans

Desert Fox

Looks like a good trip. Sorry I missed it, I am currently living in Muscat, but missed your posting until after your trip. Next time you are down drop me a line and we can meet up for a beer and a ride out (but when its a bit cooler 46'C is toooo much for me ! I'm hoping to do the Dubia bike week in January.

Back
Top Bottom