problem showing a map on the device in Basecamp

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One of the handy things about Basecamp is the ability to view maps that are on the device on a computer, but I'm struggling with it on a the new 2018.1 map.

I have City Navigator 2018.1 installed and visible and working fine on my device. If I plug the device into a Windows PC with and open BaseCamp, I see the 2018.1 map (and a couple of others). On BaseCamp on the Macbook Air I use for travelling, though, it doesn't show up, although the other maps on the device do.

I've used JaVaWa device manager to switch the "visible in basecamp" flag to on, but JaVaWa now only works on Windows. I doubt if that's the reason, but maybe.

Any ideas, anyone?

have you downloaded the maps from garmin to your mac book, or are you using the maps on your device to display in basecamp on the mac book, if so can your macbook see the device and possibly the internal sd card if it has one, and also are you giving the device time to show the maps in basecamp if you are using that method.

have you downloaded the maps from garmin to your mac book, or are you using the maps on your device to display in basecamp on the mac book, if so can your macbook see the device and possibly the internal sd card if it has one, and also are you giving the device time to show the maps in basecamp if you are using that method.

Hi Lee. Using the device to display the maps - they are not on the macbook. Yes, the macbook can see the device and the SD card. It can also see other maps that are on the SD card, just not the CN 2018.1. This only happens on the Mac - on basecamp/windows I can see all the maps on the device and SD card.

what is the file size of the map it cannot see compared to the ones it can see,

something wrong there if its the City Navigator 2018.1 full europe map, it should be bigger than all the others if they are the same map but just older. how many maps do you have on the unit and what naming format are the maps in, they should look something like gmapsup.img and gmapsup1.img, from what i remember there is a limit to how many map images you can have. how many do you have on the unit.

The Full Europe 2018.1 will be two files. One for North and one for South. If it's just Western Europe map it'll be a single file.

Is your Garmin Express app up to date on the Mac?

It's just the Northern Europe part, naming format .img (I've renamed it using javawa). It's about 2.1gb. Yes, Garmin express is up to date, it's installed fine and readable on the device and on basecamp/windows

If you haven't done it already, update Garmin Express to the latest version on your Mac.

Then load the latest maps directly onto your Mac. This way you'll have them with you whether your GPS device is connected or not.

Whilst you are at it, make sure that the full set of both maps (Europe north and Europe South) are installed on your GPS device. You might as well use Garmin Map Manager to delete all the old maps, too. Keeping old map versions never seems to serve any useful function.

Everything should then be fine.

My apologies. I posted a possible answer / solution to the problem from the comfort of my hotel bed in Luxembourg, via my iPhone. Then, in my excitement, I must have touched the close thread button when I put the phone down to return to my slumbers.

Mea culpa.

Richard

The Mac version of Basecamp allows you to reveal the map files in Finder. I just delete the unwanted ones being careful to note the dates associated with them. I.e. Don't delete a file with date "today" ;)

Now we're open for business again (thank you Richard), back to the original problem.

I have the latest Garmin Express
I have installed the maps 2018.1 North and South to my desk top Mac, and to the device
The maps are present and usable on the device
I have the latest version of Basecamp
The maps have the "visible in Basecamp" flag set to On

When travelling, I use a MacBook Air with limited memory, so I don't want to install maps to it, I want to use the maps by reading them from the device in Basecamp.

I can connect the device to the MacBook Air.
The device shows up in finder, and I can see the maps in finder
Basecamp reads all the maps from the device, except the 2018.1 maps. The same happens when I connect the device to the desktop Mac

If I connect the device to Basecamp/windows then basecamp reads all the maps including the 2018.1 maps, but I don't have a Windows lap top so this doesn't solve my travel problem

Try deleting the maps apart from the 2018.1 map, or drop them onto another sd card and then delete from the unit if you need to keep them,

See post 9, do everything except load maps to the MacBook Air, which we now learn has limited memory. All should then be well.

Did you ever resolve this problem?

I only ask as there is a bod in another thread with the same issue.

Did you ever resolve this problem?

I only ask as there is a bod in another thread with the same issue.

I'm the bod. Also with Macbook Air with limited disk space. It's driving me mad. If only I could find a waterproof holder for an iphone that's visible in direct sunlight, I'd return the Nav6 for a refund and use google maps or CoPilot which are sooooo simple, fast, cheap and easy to use by comparison.
I appreciate that some peeps advocate learning to use basecamp but when you can't get past first post and Garmin support are utterly, utterly useless, it just seems like a world of pain ahead.

I'm the bod. Also with Macbook Air with limited disk space. It's driving me mad. If only I could find a waterproof holder for an iphone that's visible in direct sunlight, I'd return the Nav6 for a refund and use google maps or CoPilot which are sooooo simple, fast, cheap and easy to use by comparison.
I appreciate that some peeps advocate learning to use basecamp but when you can't get past first post and Garmin support are utterly, utterly useless, it just seems like a world of pain ahead.

If you dont need to plan routes then just ignore basecamp, CoPilot for iphone does not let you upload routes. Have a look at http://www.ultimateaddons.com/Cases They are pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom