decent camping mat/mattress

Pint6x

I've been using an airbed for many years under the mistaken impression that it would be very comfortable as a camping bed. It isn't.

Could some experienced types recommend me something more comfortable ? is a thicker airbed the way to go or are those foam roll-up thingies any good ? The kids seem to get on with them but I've always shunned them because they're very thin (the foam mattresses not the kids...)

I used to use the heavy rubber inflatable materass which was comfortable but was heavy and you neede to carry a pump which added to the bulk.

I finally did some looking into this properly and tested a few out. Les from travel dri very kindly let me try a couple out and I was impressed with the Exped down air but ended up buying the Exped SIM (Self Inflating Materass - similar to Thermarest).

Very comfy, very light (compared to what I was used to) packs down well no pump and no effort to use.

Not cheap but they should last me a good long time.

we have the ortlieb self inflating roll up things from les. we find them pretty comfy & they don't absorb water when your tent leaks.

Shag the wife more ....... :D

Then she'll get 'airbed' burns....

fairs fair and all that...

but seriously - try a hotel. ?

Phil...

Exped down filled mattress.

The man Les does 'em.
I paid £80.00 for mine from a shop in Settle.

Use the storage sack to pump it up - not to hard:eyebrow, soft & warm.
Packs up very small - large bag of sugar.

If your going to the Hog. I believe Les does a try before you buy thing.

They ain't that wide though - no offense intended:D

Steve

Phil

As has already been said, Les at Travel-Dri is THE man for assistance in this area & he has lent me (and others) on a 'try it first' basis. Don't be put off by the apparent 'thiness' of these modern beds - they are nevertheless very comfortable & give better support than a basic airbed.

FWIW I would underline Steve Chips point about width though - the 1st one I tried off Les was very comfy - but I found it too narrow for me & ended up buying a wider one.

HTH

Re: Phil...

Steve Chip said:
Exped down filled mattress.

They ain't that wide though - no offense intended:D

Steve

Nor am I - but I seem to manage OK with mine!! :thumb

£90 from Les, but I'd rather give him my business than anyone else.

There is a longer/wider one available, but that's about £115.

i hate the air beds too, can't get comfortable..i prefer the foam roll, it may be slightly harder but at least i can get to sleep on it....:D

my biggest thing to make me comfortable is a pillow or anything that i can shape into a pillow. with that i find the roll just fine.

that said i just bought a self inflating roll from lidl £11 has foam inside and when you let air in it inflates to about 5 cm haven't tried it yet but seems like it will do the job. will end up firmish instead of the boaty feeling you get on an air bed

Pint6x said:
I've been using an airbed for many years under the mistaken impression that it would be very comfortable as a camping bed. It isn't.

Could some experienced types recommend me something more comfortable ? is a thicker airbed the way to go or are those foam roll-up thingies any good ? The kids seem to get on with them but I've always shunned them because they're very thin (the foam mattresses not the kids...)
:hapybnce: :hapybnce: :hapybnce:

I have heard it said that a camp bed is an option even when camping from a bike. They keep you away from a cold or wet floor whilst providing storage below. Can anyone confirm this or recommend a suitable sized/constructed model?

Personally, I'm not overly keen on my Thermarest. I find that it doesn't insulate from the ground too well (maybe I was expecting too much) and that the surface is a little slippery so that I keep slipping off during the night.

However, I must confess that I don't have a lot of camping experience so please bear in mind when reading the above (it may be that Thermarest is the best comparatively?).

Lidl do a self inflating mattress for £11.95 complete with repair kitoffer on at moment here in NI. Looks as good as any other inc.Thermorest.

Will said:
Personally, I'm not overly keen on my Thermarest. I find that it doesn't insulate from the ground too well (maybe I was expecting too much) and that the surface is a little slippery so that I keep slipping off during the night.

However, I must confess that I don't have a lot of camping experience so please bear in mind when reading the above (it may be that Thermarest is the best comparatively?).

I don't know with the Thermarest, but the Exped SIM come in different thicknesses and the thinner ones are not comfortable enough for my liking although they do pack down smaller. The fatter one is really very comfortable. I've slept in hotels with more uncomfortable beds! And no problems with it being slippy.

Back
Top Bottom