Problems creating a route within the device

Hubcap

Reaction score
Last weekend I used my Nav 6 for a 150 mile journey. No exaggeration, it added at least two hours to my journey. Most comical error was using 'fastest' option, riding along the A26, it directed me into left turn off the A road, into a layby for all of 30 metres and then told me to turn left back on to the A road in the same direction.

This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".

Last edited by a moderator:
....I am convinced that he is discribing operator error. It sounds like he is using the trip planner function to create routes with multiple waypoints and that some of those waypoints may have been placed off from the intended route. I have just tried using the trip planner to plot a route and find it is open to the same problem we all used to find on Mapsource or Basecamp. If the point chosen happens to be a layby or the start of a sliproad the device will simply follow instructions and take you into that layby/up that slip road.

Happily Mapsource now has a handy feature to prevent this happening- it creates unannounced via points automatically but if you place a point off from the road it creates a waypoint and shows up as a green dot on the map. It is then easy to zoom in on any green dots and correct as required. None of this is possible on the device so I suspect that the OP had inadvertanly create a route with badly placed waypoints. The device would then obey its master and take him to these points.

John

Having looked at a map I'm really struggling to understand why a "simple route from Gloucester to Taunton" would need 11 waypoints. Either you want to get there as quickly as possble using the motorway or, far more likely on a bike, you want to avoid motorways. Garmin have already thought of this and given you the option to tick an "avoid motorways" box.

If the route really needed all those points it would be much better planned on a PC using Basecamp or Mapsource. That way you could have had via points rather than waypoints and a route using whatever roads you wished.

John
Because I wanted to take my chosen route, not Garmin's chosen route. i don't carry a PC with me to program my satnav, John. If the device allows a user to enter something, it should be capable of computing what's been entered or it should show a warning such as too many waypoints. Surely a £650 satnav should be capable of handling 11 waypoints? Or at least warning the user if not.

If I'm doing a trip rather than a journey to get somewhere I use Motogoloco.

It works for me because a trip is often know in advance and I can start plotting and refining and with motogoloco you can do that on several devices even though the eventual download maybe from just the one that's paired to your Nav.

BTW... in this instance I'm with Rick, user error seems very likely to have played a part, a 2 hour fuck up on a 150 mile journey requires a joint user and Nav effort.

No user error. I entered the route I wanted. It took me on a different, longer route. How do you explain the layby error?

Going back to the first post (strange thing indeed on here, dealing with the question rather than wandering off into abuse!) I am convinced that he is discribing operator error. It sounds like he is using the trip planner function to create routes with multiple waypoints and that some of those waypoints may have been placed off from the intended route. I have just tried using the trip planner to plot a route and find it is open to the same problem we all used to find on Mapsource or Basecamp. If the point chosen happens to be a layby or the start of a sliproad the device will simply follow instructions and take you into that layby/up that slip road.

Happily Mapsource now has a handy feature to prevent this happening- it creates unannounced via points automatically but if you place a point off from the road it creates a waypoint and shows up as a green dot on the map. It is then easy to zoom in on any green dots and correct as required. None of this is possible on the device so I suspect that the OP had inadvertanly create a route with badly placed waypoints. The device would then obey its master and take him to these points.

That of course makes the device shite!

I fully accept that others have had problems with the Nav 6, this response is confined to the problems experienced by the original poster, from whom we have heard nothing since

John
Hi John, infact the layby incident in my original post happened when I had just entered a destination and setting was fastest route.

No user error. I entered the route I wanted. It took me on a different, longer route. How do you explain the layby error?

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . .... Sorry to disapoint.

John

(This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".)

A satnav, that cannot calculate a route, using its own internal app. Just what I wanted when I splashed out £650.

This is one way you can build a route using the device, and make sure all points are where you need them to be,

Create a route using shaping points

To create a route with shaping points on the device:

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
4 Touch Select Start Location to add a beginning waypoint (Please note that the Start Location is not necessarily the point from where you'll be leaving. The Start Location will be the first point you would like to travel to.)
5 Use the various search options to locate the desired starting point
6 Touch Select
7 Click the (+) Icon to add additional waypoints to the trip
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)
9 Touch the orange flag icon next to a waypoint to turn this into a shaping point
10 Touch Next
11 Enter a name for the trip
12 Touch Done

A new route with shaping points is now saved to Trip Planner

You can also create shaping points in routes created through BaseCamp.

I have just asked my Nav VI to plot me a route from A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton). The device is set to fastest route, with no avoidances set other than to avoid unmade roads and U-Turns.

The device very quickly produced a simple magenta line A to B south-south-west near enough straight line along the M5 (not surprisingly) - a journey of 77 miles in an estimated time of 1 hour 15 minutes.

I then 'dragged' the route within the device to take me through six viapoints (shaping points) to ensure that the magenta line took me along roads that I wanted to use. This lengthened the route and its total estimated time, obviously.

Zooming in, I am confident that had I ridden the route the device would have done so perfectly. Of course I could have set my device to avoid mototorways, which would have avoided it taking the M5 in the first place. I could also have asked it to take the device to most direct route and / or to take windy roads. I didn't, only because these settings would bring in roads that the device chose for me ie it (not me) would decide what a windy road is and / or decide what roads are best if it's not to be the M5. That would probably have required me entering more than six shaping points as I'd have to overcome - by probably adding more shaping points - the device's desire to always take windy roads, say.

I can change the six individual intermediate shaping points to waypoints and back to shaping points from within the device itself at will. The start point A (Gloucester) and end point B (Taunton) are always waypoints, two fixed points.

I am confident that I could have added a shaping point (or shaping points) to take me past my house in central London whilst enroute from Gloucester to Taunton and include a stop off at my mum's in Stratford upon Avon, if I had wanted to, too. In short, I'm confident that the device, more often than not, would do exactly what I wanted it to do. Of course it might well have the odd glitch when it cuts a corner as to do so is two meters shorter overall and therefore quicker. Whenever possible, I would use common sense to ignore device given instructions to hoon off down an alley or cut across a lay-by (which the device's map read as a road) if and when I encountered them whilst riding; I being cleverer than the dumb device.... sometimes.

Go to post #19

Last edited:
This is one way you can build a route using the device, and make sure all points are where you need them to be,

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
4 Touch Select Start Location to add a beginning waypoint (Please note that the Start Location is not necessarily the point from where you'll be leaving. The Start Location will be the first point you would like to travel to.)
6 Touch Select
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)[/I]
9 Touch the orange flag icon next to a waypoint to turn this into a shaping point
10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

You can also create shaping points in routes created through BaseCamp.

No idea why the quote thing didn't work as normal!!

We all live and learn! Although the turn to shaping point does not appear to work on my 390. Is this a feature of other models? This feature would certainly help those who must do everything on the device although it would make more sense if the default, after setting a start and arrival points, was that the others were shaping points which could be turned to waypoints if required

Personally, when I want to plan a route,I prefer to use a computer. This gives me a much clearer view of the route as it is being created. I use Mapsource which automatically creates via points and shows up any placed just off the route by showing up as a green dot on the map.

1, Select start point as waypoint
2, select destination as waypoint
3 highlight both in left hand section of Mapsource screen, right click to allow Mapsource to suggest route
4,using pointer, one left click on route brings up the "rubber band" moving the mouse moves the point,every time this is clicked on the map a via point is created.
5, keep adding points until the route is just as you wish
6, check for any green dots, these are where you hve clicked slightly off from the route, zoom in and move them onto the route.
7 download to device. All the via points will be unannounced so no need at adjust that.

To me the urge to do everything on the device is just like that to do everything on a mobile phone. The facility to do so might be useful if there is no alternative but I find the small screens and fiddly processes frustrating. I suspect part of the popularity of tablets is because of these issues. As I have said I travel with a small notebook computer, slightly bigger than a tablet but more versatile.

I tried by suggesting that it is very easy to put a point on your route in the wrong place .using the trip planner. And most experienced users on here will tell you that puting 11 waypoints in a trip is asking for trouble. Normally I would have only 2 waypoints, the start and the finish, via points are what you need to get the route you want without the problems that come with waypoints. I only ever put an extra waypoint in if I really must go there,maybe to meet up with a friend along the way. You never did explain why you put so many waypoints in your "simple route".

I plan my routes at home or, when on tour, I carry a small notebook computer - not much bigger than a tablet-I can read my Emails, check out dubious sites on the net and properly plan routes before downloading to my device. You should try it. Using the trip planner on the device can only ever be second best, why spend all that money and then not use it fully. You sound like you want it to read your mind, in time such capabilites might come but for now we all have to put some effort into learning how these things work.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

Hi John,
Responding to your points.
1> I put more waypoints in because;
a: that is exactly what the senior support adviser at Garmin advised me to do to avoid issues with the Nav 6 arbitrarily departing from the planned route.
b: because I needed a route that was not a direct a to b route along the horrible stretch of the A38 from Gloucester to Taunton, nor the M5 on a bank holiday weekend.
c: I have plenty of experience where if you put just a single extra waypoint in, the unit tends to try to revert to the default route after passing that waypoint, e.g. the A38, even though the route it originally showed on the map did not.
d; In most tech, if you ask it to do something it's not capable of it will tell you rather than just say it cant do it without giving a reason. Nowhere in the user manual does it say the number of waypoints is limited.
e. I wanted curvy roads but knew from experience that the device chooses ridiculous routes when selecting curvy roads

2> I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

What really annoys me is that it seems the only way to learn how to use this device is to fail, go on a forum, get 'have you tried this?' type feedback, and wait until the next trip, before trying different bits of advice.

3> I don't take my computer with me because:
a; mad though it may seem to you, I don't expect a satnav need one to function at a basic level, i.e. Take me from a to b, via c, d, e, etc.
b; having spent over 16 k on a bike plus £650 on its Satnav, I'm not minded to buy a little notebook as well.
d; It really annoys me that the device's apps are 2nd best. Honestly, Google maps on an iphone is better, easier, faster and more reliable. Co Pilot, 2nd to Google, is better and does not rely on a mobile / 4g signal.

Lastly, re your point user error, please tell what error I could have made when;
1: In fastest route setting I simply type in an address and press go, and it diverts me off, than back on to, the dead straight road I am travelling on?
2: I use the Trip Planner app on the device to enter what it allows me to enter (including 11 waypoints) and it fails to calculate a route? You show me anything from Garmin that says it can't handle 11 waypoints and I'll eat my crash helmet.
And by the way of course I don't want it to read my mind I just want it to do what it allows me to tell it to do.

Oh and finally, finally, why on earth when deviating from a route (e.g. to stop for a coffee) then going straight back onto the route, and it recalculates the route, why on earth does it insist on going back to the last waypoint? And might you possibly be able to understand that this causes delays, frustration and confusion, especially when the unit is r e a l l y s l o w t o render a map when you zoom out to try work out where the fuck one is located?

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
6 Touch Select
8 Follow steps 5 through 7 to locate and add up to 30 total points ( You must have at least three locations to create a shaping point)[/I]
10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

This is exactly what I did, and with 11 waypoints (which I had unknowingly converted to shaping points by the way , thanks for explaining that in this post). And that's how I got the result 'cannot calculate route'.

You clearly are not prepared to even consider it might be user error. . Did you just post so we could all say "there, there, poor you.send the nasty SatNav back"

Sorry to disapoint.

John

Hi John,
Responding to your points.
1> I put more waypoints in because;
a: that is exactly what the senior support adviser at Garmin advised me to do to avoid issues with the Nav 6 arbitrarily departing from the planned route.
b: because I needed a route that was not a direct a to b route along the horrible stretch of the A38 from Gloucester to Taunton, nor the M5 on a bank holiday weekend.
c: I have plenty of experience where if you put just a single extra waypoint in, the unit tends to try to revert to the default route after passing that waypoint, e.g. the A38
, even tough the route it originally showed on the map did not.
d; In most tech, if you ask it to do something it's not capable of it will tell you rather than just say it cant do it without giving a reason. Nowhere in the user manual does it say the number of waypoints is limited.
e. I wanted curvy roads but knew from experience that the device chooses ridiculous routes when selecting curvy roads

2> I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

What really annoys me is that it seems the only way to learn how to use this device is to fail, go on a forum, get 'have you tried this?' type feedback, and wait until the next trip, before trying different bits of advice.

3> I don't take my computer with me because:
a; mad though it may seem to you, I don't expect a satnav need one to function at a basic level, i.e. Take me from a to b, via c, d, e, etc.
b; having spent over 16 k on a bike plus £650 on its Satnav, I'm not minded to buy a little notebook as well.
d; It really annoys me that the device's apps are 2nd best. Honestly, Google maps on an iphone is better, easier, faster and more reliable. Co Pilot, 2nd to Google, is better and does not rely on a mobile / 4g signal.

Lastly, re your point user error, please tell what error I could have made when;
1: In fastest route setting I simply type in an address and press go, and it diverts me off, than back on to, the dead straight road I am travelling on?
2: I use the Trip Planner app on the device to enter what it allows me to enter (including 11 waypoints) and it fails to calculate a route? You show me anything from Garmin that says it can't handle 11 waypoints and I'll eat my crash helmet.
And by the way of course I don't want it to read my mind I just want it to do what it allows me to tell it to do.

Oh and finally, finally, why on earth when deviating from a route (e.g. to stop for a coffee) then going straight back onto the route, and it recalculates the route, why on earth does it insist on going back to the last waypoint? And might you possibly be able to understand that this causes delays, frustration and confusion, especially when the unit is r e a l l y s l o w t o render a map when you zoom out to try work out where the fuck one is located?

1 Touch Apps
2 Touch Trip Planner
3 Touch New Trip
6 Touch Select
10 Touch Next
12 Touch Done

This is exactly what I did, and with 11 waypoints (which I had unknowingly converted to shaping points by the way , thanks for explaining that in this post). And that's how I got the result 'cannot calculate route'.[/QUOTE]

Not according to your first post you didnt, sorry but to give answers to problems you need to describe what has been done to create the problem.

This is what you said you had done

This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".

as you can see no mention of converting them to shaping points.

you also confirm you did not use via points in post 73

I didn't use 'via points' because There's nothing in the instructions about how to do that on the device using the 'trip planner'. I don't know how to do that using the trip planner and I have had no advice from Garmin about that either. Not surprisngly, having read the user manual, I still don't know what the difference between a 'via point' and a 'waypoint' is.

So maybe you should start from the begining and tell us what you have done exactly.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you posted up the waypoints/shaping points from the said route you tried to create to see if anyone can replicate the fault.

Or maybe post up the track that it took that had taken 2 hrs longer than expected, it should be saved on your nav somewhere.

I have tried my best to recreate Hubcap's original post and (I hope) pulled the most relevant posts from the other thread that had deteriorated beyond repair.

Let's now all try to find a solution to the problem. Any simplistic 'It's all shite', 'The bloke's a bellend' and similar type replies, along the lines of 'Read the fecking manual / read an iPhone manual' I'll simply delete, along with any posts I deem off topic or not related to Hubcap's individual problem.

If no solution can be found and / or if Hubcap has already sold his device, so be it; I will close the thread.

Now, let's start:

Hubcap, please kick us off by sharing with us the full route (11 points and all) you created from within your Nav VI device, along with details of ALL your settings / software, please. If you can also share the track, so much the better. Pictures / screen shots are sometimes useful, too.

If you no longer have the route, I assume that if you create it again, you'll see the same odd phenomenon? If so, share that, please. Sharing files is easy via any cloud based platform. Lee and I share very large route files on other threads, using something like DropBox. Give it a go, please. If though it now transpires that you can create the route without the strange glitch, let us know and I'll close this thread down.

From the now closed thread another bod put up pictures of where his device took a strange detour off a main road, too:

86101a336dbfffa2acad6a84bbdd9fae.jpg
befeb1a9198f2cadea124c12af46c5c3.jpg

So where is my user mistake with planning route?

Try as hard as I could, I could not create the problem the fellow encountered from within my Nav VI, nor on two Nav V's. Another bod tried to recreate it and failed, too. Assuming your problem is the same or similar, we'll hopefully have better luck this time around. Let's see....

From the now closed thread another bod put up pictures of where his device took a strange detour off a main road, too. Try as hard as I could, I could not create the problem the fellow encountered. Another bod tried to recreate it and failed, too. Maybe we'll have better luck this time around?

the only way i could get that without actually putting a point there to make the route go there, was to use mapsource to plot the route using the preference setting of having the prefered roads slider set to minimum, and i doubt weather TheWitcher who posted the pics did it that way.

Attachments

• 05-09-2017 14-04-33.jpg
    05-09-2017 14-04-33.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 260
I agree, Lee. Not least as The Twitcher (like Hubcap) - if I understood him correctly - created his route from within his Nav VI device itself.

This evening, I planned (or rather attempted to plan) a simple route from Gloucester to Taunton directly on the Nav 6 using the trip planner app. I added a starting point, 11 waypoints and a finishing point. I click 'next' and get "Cannot calculate the route".....

....If the device allows a user to enter something, it should be capable of computing what's been entered or it should show a warning such as too many waypoints. Surely a £650 satnav should be capable of handling 11 waypoints? Or at least warning the user if not.

This evening I set about doing the same thing, all from within the Trip Planner app in my Nav VI. Obviously I couldn't select the same 11 intermediate points between A (Gloucester) and B (Taunton) as I have no idea where you chose to put them. This is how it went:

1. One single route, A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton) - No intermediate points - Motorcycle mode - latest edition Garmin maps - fastest time - no avoidances other than U-turns and unmade roads - 77 miles in 1 hour 12 minutes - Basically M5 past Bristol, Weston-super-Mare, Bridgewater, exit the M5 at junction 25 onto the A358 / A38 to Taunton. Much as you would expect it to be, created very quickly within the device using the Trip Planner app.

2. I then added in 13 intermediate points (via points, to stick with Garmin's lingo, see below) between A and B at random. As they were plucked at random on the map their order was a bit skewwhiffy but the device put all 13 in. In doing so the route length grew to 188 miles in 4 hours 7 minutes. This growth in time and distance is not surprising.

3. The route displays perfectly on the device.

4. As the 13 viapoints were added randomly, I asked the device to re-order them in 'Optimsed order'. This it did, reducing the distance from 188 miles in 4 hours 7 minutes to 141 miles in 3 hours 55 minutes. On the face of it at least, this estimation does not look too unreasonable. Again, the route displayed perferectly. All the recalculations were very fast.

5. Zooming in, I can see no illogical jumps where the magenta line jumps off the main road onto a side road for no inexplicable reason

6. In short, the device works and works properly, taking me from A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton) via 13 viapoints of my choosing.

What does this tell me:

A. That the Nav VI device is fully capable of plotting, displaying and running quite complex routes from within itself. I did nothing extraordinary, nor am I any kind of IT wizard, trust me on that at least. I am though reasonably confident when it comes to Garmin navigation devices. Yes they can sometimes throw me - as it did with the auto-skip waypoint function - but I can get through it without getting too cross.

B. That there was no '11 and no more' limitation as to intermediate viapoints. I stopped at 13 only because I chose to end at 13. A quick look in the owner's manual tells me that 13 is well within the device's internal capabilities:

Trip Planner

A trip can consist of up to 29 via points and one final destination. Up to 125 shaping points can be included between each via point.

About Via Points

Via points are intermediate destinations within a trip. An orange flag indicates a via point on the map. A trip can contain up to 29 via points and one final destination. While navigating a trip, the device announces your arrival at each via point.

About Shaping Points

Shaping points are intermediate points between destinations or via points that can be used to shape the direction of your route. A blue dot indicates a shaping point on the map. You can have up to 125 shaping points between each destination or via point. While navigating, the device does not announce your arrival at each shaping point.

C. It works, just as I thought it would and should.

D. The limitation on announced intermediate viapoints is not 11 it's 29. It's limited to 125 for simple shaping points.

E. That something is fundamentally wrong either with Hubcap's device OR with the way he is using it. If it's the latter I am happy to guess, as follows:

i. That when choosing an intermediate viapoint in order to force A to B route along roads that he wants to take, he is maybe sometimes clicking on the wrong carriageway, the wrong exit on a roundabout or on a side road. It is very easy to do. This would result in bizarre distances and route creation, that's for sure

ii. When adding intermediate viapoints to a route in order to hit a specific point, the device by default adds the point into the list at the end. In other words, a route A (start) to B (end) with an announced intermediate viapoint C, would become:

A > B > C, C becoming the new end point

Not A > C > B

This would again lead to bizarre routing and / or a probably much increased overall distance.

When creating a route within the device itself, the owner can drag the intermediate viapoints up and down the list at will (which will keep B in its correct place at the end) and / or use of the 'Otimisation' option (as employed in my little exercise) which would maybe help to sort this problem out, too.

=====

That's two Nav VI problems I have failed to replicate, the other being The Witcher's bizarre leap off a main road. To be honest I wish that I could recreate them easily from within my Nav VI , as doing so might stop me having to guess as to what is going wrong for the two bods.

Over to you, Hubcap, or anyone else with something useful to contribute....

I have just read the opening post again and it assurance that the device could not create a route from A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton) via 11 intermediate viapoints. I managed it from within my device (see post above) so something must be amiss somewhere. Let's see if we can work out where:

Hubcap, can you tell us please how precisely, stage by stage, did you enter the target locations?

For example, did you start, as I did, with A (Gloucester) to B (Taunton) and then insert each of the 11 viapoints in?

Or did you go A (Gloucester) to viapoint 1, then added viapoint 2.... and so on until you had the 11 viapoints in place and then put in B (Taunton)?

How did you select the 11 points? Did you do as I did and tap on the map at the spot you wanted the electronic pin of the viapoint to fall or did you use some other method? If so, what, precisely?

What happens if you follow the same method as I used in the post above?

Back
Top Bottom