QPAC - Quest Power & Audio cable

RAM-man

depleted member !
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Posted today on GPS Warehouse web site (www.gpsw.co.uk)

QPAC - Quest Power and Audio cable for Motorcycles

QPAC is designed for use by motorcyclists in order to power a Garmin Quest GPS unit using the RAM mount and RAM GA15 cradle system.

Its easy to install and looks neat and tidy when fitted. QPAC offers a unique mount location as its 'sandwiched' between the RAM cradle and diamond base to form part of the mount itself.

QPAC versions

QPAC01-25 Bare wire end power cable with in-line 1.5 amp splash proof
fuseholder, 1.8m cable length, Quest connector and female 2.5mm jack socket.

QPAC01-35 Bare wire end power cable with in-line 1.5 amp splash proof
fuseholder, 1.8m cable length, Quest connector and female 3.5mm jack socket.

QPAC02-25 Power cable with BMW type DC plug and 1.5 amp fuse, 0.5m cable length for dashboard power socket, Quest connector and female 2.5mm jack socket.

QPAC02-35 Power cable with BMW type DC plug and 1.5 amp fuse, 0.5m cable length for dashboard power socket, Quest connector and female 3.5mm jack socket.

QPAC03-25 Power cable with BMW type DC plug and 1.5 amp fuse, 1.7m cable length for a power socket located under the tank or near the rider, Quest connector and female 2.5mm female jack socket.

QPAC03-35 Power cable with BMW type DC plug and 1.5 amp fuse, 1.7m cable length for a power socket located under the tank or near the rider, Quest connector and female 3.5mm female jack socket.
prod2733.htm

prod2735.htm

You can pre-order and its first come - first served.

RAM-man

Thanks for posting that!
At £40 it's too expensive I think. May go for the Garmin mount instead...

Very expensive when you take into consideration that, you may also have to buy the cradle as well, if you don't have one.
The genuine Garmin unit is less than £40 (including P&P) from sites in the USA and is a nicer cradle.

Dave Price said:

The genuine Garmin unit is less than £40 (including P&P) from sites in the USA and is a nicer cradle.

Bought mine from Rainbow BMW in Rotherham, not as glamorous but a bit nearer :)

Does what it's supossed to do, holds the Quest, powers the Quest and gives you somthing to plug your Autocom into.

Just needs Ram Man's bracket.

Dave Price said:

Any hints save surfing Google etc ?
The best I can do is a mega cheap kit for $45 plus P&P at $40 !!!which equates to £45 - hardly worth the wait :confused:
Thanks

So whats the total price for a Ram bracket, Ram cradle and a QPAC?

GSKev said:
Any hints save surfing Google etc ?
The best I can do is a mega cheap kit for $45 plus P&P at $40 !!!which equates to £45 - hardly worth the wait :confused:
Thanks
GSKev
Put Provantage into your search engine and then search their site. Mine cost £39.50 including P&P and taxes etc.
Takes about two days to arrive. Colleague of mine was exactly the same a few weeks later so fairly consistent.
Dave P
Just checked for you, current price is $42.72 plus whatever the P&P is. If my maths is right, thats about £25 ish plus the P&P.

Does anyone know why a bike mounted quest needs a different power supply to one used in a car? I know the quest takes 5 volts, car or bike, so what's the difference? :confused:

Alphason said:
Does anyone know why a bike mounted quest needs a different power supply to one used in a car? I know the quest takes 5 volts, car or bike, so what's the difference? :confused:

Whether it's car or bike, the cradle has to step down the voltage.

Thanks Dave

Thats who are quoting $42.72 plus shipping $40.20 =$82.92.
Their currency converter makes that £45.47 but will probably give it a go -
Who's going to the US for their hols ?
:beerjug:

GSKev said:
Thanks Dave

Thats who are quoting $42.72 plus shipping $40.20 =$82.92.
Their currency converter makes that £45.47 but will probably give it a go -
Who's going to the US for their hols ?
:beerjug:
Is that their cheapest shipping cost ? I used the cheapest and it was still here in 2 days. From memory the P&P was about $27.
Dave

Dave Price said:
Whether it's car or bike, the cradle has to step down the voltage.

Thanks Dave, as I said, I realise that the quest takes a 5v supply. What I don't understand is why not just use the car kit for the bike? I read something about the voltage regulators being rated differently.

Alphason said:
Thanks Dave, as I said, I realise that the quest takes a 5v supply. What I don't understand is why not just use the car kit for the bike? I read something about the voltage regulators being rated differently.
Well you could, but it would be a bit of a botch job. The bike cradle is more secure for the unit, gives you an audio output socket, bare wire to connect to your battery or plug of choice and is easily mounted.

Sounds great but I'm also off to Garmisch and I'm a little itchy on getting one in time. I think I'll go for the GPSW mounting kit and hard wire it to the battery.

:)

I mentioned this in a previous forum thread, but maybe a further or fuller expalnation is needed for those who need it.

Yes, the Vreg gives 5volts to the GPS.

To compare the G auto-mount with the G bike mount as being the same, is wrong 'big time'. These devices are different as one is designed for indoor use (inside a vehicle)where as the bike mount is outdoor use. Outdoor devices must take and consider, the elements and exposure to them (eg, sun, rain, dust, heat etc) and the components used must be a higher temp rated as outdoor also means a sealed casing (see below comment).

The bike Vreg chip needs a higher temp rating and we've tested various.

The latest tests confirm that higher temp (125 deg C) rated Vreg chip is needed for the QPAC device as it will survive in sunny & hot climes (for those with trips down to Southern Europe, France, Spain, Portugal etc).

There are several factors to consider; heat and temp from sun on the unit, heat and temp being dissapated from the charging current and the temp inside the device.

If using either the G bike mount or QPAC, when the Quest internal battery is fully discharged then there will be a delay of approx 20 to 30 seconds while the unit charges the device. Then the Vreg charge will stabilise and over a journey of 2 to 3 hours will achieve a full charge.

I would not urge anyone to 'cobble' together something from a high street electronic shop to save a few quid as its likely that the Vreg unit (and GPS ?) will fry.

So you can't say you were not warned.

RAM-man

Thanks Ram-man

I fully understand your concerns regarding the use of the auto cradle on the bike and a voltage regulator not specified for the job. I have bought the Ram bike cradle and bike mount from GPSW as part of the Quest pack they sell.

My earlier question asking 'why not use the car kit for the bike' referred to the use of the electrical power supply from the car kit with the bike cradle, which I'd just ordered ( I didnt own any of the kit at the time of this question so it was a shot in the dark).

I now have the Quest and it's clear that butchering the car power supply is out of the question. Even if the voltage regulator was up to the job of running the quest in high ambient temperatures on the bike I could'nt butcher it as I use it in the car as much as on the bike!

Thanks for your advice. Now, do I buy the QPAC or build my own from scratch

:D

which one?

Hi Steve, so which one do I need? I have tried phoning you at GPS wharehouse and you are unable to take calls.

1150 gs, to be hardwired, autocomm

Back
Top Bottom