France: Gorges du Tarn or Volcanos??

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
I'm planning a route between friends in Grenoble and the Dordogne. It will be the first time I've crossed the Massive Central.

I've worked out one route that comes down the Gorges du Tarn (near Millau), or an alternative that takes in the Auvergne Volcanoes National Park (near Aurillac) and the Pas de Peyrol.

I'm inclined towards the latter, has anyone done this area?

Tim

Tim...can't help on the Auvergne, but I can thorughly recommend the Gorges...fantastic area, absolutely awesome scenery and roads.....well worth a visit.

Me and Lucy, taken by some twat with a hat ;)

Attachments

• dscn0325.jpg
    dscn0325.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 354
I was down that way at easter and again a couple of weeks ago. It's great!

Stick to the lesser roads and I don't reckon there's a bad route through.

Cycled the Puys one day last year, would be awesome with an engine,,,spent my time looking at 12 sq inches of tarmac under my nose....a vote for the auvergne

Actually it is a difficult to compare them, they are both really good. Do one this year and one next!
If you choose the Gorges watch out for the vultures which were successfully reintroduced some years ago.

My girlfriend and I went to the Massif Central last year, in October. We stayed in Aurillac for about 3 nights and the region is very beautiful. The roads are also very good. One thingi found is that if you head for Aurillac, you'll be towards the southern end of the range and if you want to see the real volcanoes, try traversing further north, above Mauriac or even as far North as La Bourboule. The maps seemed to suggest some fabulous twisties around there and Le Mont Dore.

One thing to consider with a mountain range, is the weather is more changeable.

As one of the other members pointed out the Gorges du Tarne are also spectacular. I went there when I was a kid so I wasn't looking at it with a biker's perspective, but i remember being pretty gob-smacked and if you knew me then, well you'd know that is saying something!

As others have said which ever y6ou go for, it'll be impressive and whichever you'd decide to follow, do the other at a later date.

Nick

Dark Horse 73 said:
My girlfriend and I went to the Massif Central last year, in October. We stayed in Aurillac for about 3 nights and the region is very beautiful. The roads are also very good. One thingi found is that if you head for Aurillac, you'll be towards the southern end of the range and if you want to see the real volcanoes, try traversing further north, above Mauriac or even as far North as La Bourboule. The maps seemed to suggest some fabulous twisties around there and Le Mont Dore.

One thing to consider with a mountain range, is the weather is more changeable.

As one of the other members pointed out the Gorges du Tarne are also spectacular. I went there when I was a kid so I wasn't looking at it with a biker's perspective, but i remember being pretty gob-smacked and if you knew me then, well you'd know that is saying something!

As others have said which ever y6ou go for, it'll be impressive and whichever you'd decide to follow, do the other at a later date.

Nick

I'd second the Mont Dore option. Some fantastic roads round there and serious mountains with a cable car to get to the top of Puy Sancy.

Further south is Puy Mary which is an interesting walk in bike gear :D

The Gorges du Tarn are also spectacular but it's not a quick route!

Enjoy yourself :beerjug:

Cheers

Dick

Agree absolutely with guitarman - Mont Dore area is fantastic and the Gorges du Tarne are pretty but get really tedious after a few hours. I did both last year and it is Mont Dore that I am returning to this year...

GJ

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to do the volcanos. I'll be taking fast roads from Grenoble to Clermont-Ferrand, then cruise south west to Aurillac taking in Le Puy de Dôme, Monts Dore and piles of tiny roads.

Tim

A word of warning about Le Puy de Dôme if you have a Datatool alarm/immobiliser. I got to the top last year (in thick fog) and switched off the engine. Couldn't see a thing so decided to leave. The alarm wouldn't disarm. What I had forgotten was that there is a large radio transmitter at the top of the Puy but I couldn't see it because of the fog! It was drowning out my fob signal.

Luckily I remembered my disarm code but it took a while and I was almost deaf by the time I had switched the damned thing off!

Glynn

Zmeagol,
I have done both these routes several times.......
I think you need to consider this: as both routes are really excellent biking, the Gorge route is very slow as shown by Fanum's photo, the Auvergne route is green, open and "up and over" v "through and between"
You will not be dissapointed either way.
The gorge can get really slow with cars and bikes on the small narrow roads, having said that it is very interesting.
Auvergne is much less congested. Valence to Le Puy is a good fast road but it does get chilly as you go over the pass......
Another point is that on Saturday 10th July the Tour de France will go to St Flour so do not go there that day unless you want to see the race!
hope that helps, have a great ride,
Barrie.

Back
Top Bottom