Views on best "all Round" bike

Gilson

Reaction score
Hi,

I am due to move offices to work nearer home, (3 miles rather than 40) and am thinking of selling my GS and buying an 'all rounder'.

I want a bike that can do the 3 mile commute, hardly a test, but then will also give me a great amount of fun off road - and perhaps trips to my home country of South Wales (from essex) to play in the mountains.

The options I am considering are a DRZ400, (I know a couple were for sale recently) and there has been some postings about the differing versions; the 400cc KTM, a similar specced honda, (are they the CRM?). The other thing that I am very tempted by is the KTM 640 adventure or the BMW 650GS, (I think the KTM has it on ability, looks and history, but is more expensive and more rare). I guess the 650's will be abetter on the road but not so good off it... It's a compromise I suppose.

Any advice would be appreciated, maybe I am missing a decent bike. As I'll hopefully sell my GS, I want to spend no more than 3-3.5K.

I thought that I'd post this here as this is the specific off road section and less people will see that I'm thinking of selling my 1150GS, (which I love...).

PS Tony, I really don't want to take the GS off road, even though you'll say they are good at it! :D

Erm........seems to me you've got it arse about face there Gilson.....a DRZ or similar is far less of an all-rounder and in fact is far more off-road focussed......the GS on the other hand is a very balanced and accomplished all rounder in all sorts of ways.....It commutes , scratches and does off road as well.

Unless you've got a van, you really really don't want to be riding a DRZ from Essex to Wales......trust me on this one ;)

The GS however, will do that journey easily and not only will be able to do the fun stuff but will have you in the sort of condition that you'll be ABLE to do the fun stuff.....

I baulk at riding my DRZ more than 50 miles to do any off-roading.....I know Greg commutes on his but that's with his road tyred wheels on......he'll then change the wheels for mucky weekends.

Of the bikes you mention, if you really have to lose the GS, go for the 650GS instead........the KTM is handicapped by servicing schedules, though it's a great bike....The 650GS though will do the aforementioned Essex-Wales trip and still be good for fun.

So as a slightly different option (and completely not what you were asking for..sorry ;) ), how about doing the BWM off road course, getting a set of TKC's on the GS and keeping it??

Cheaper and far more satisfying :D

Thanks Fanum, I understand your comments and I wanted put my thoughts out there.

I wouldn't go to Wales on the DRZ (more of a thought for the KTM), but I would then be missing out on the comfort of having the GS.

I am due for a tyre change soon, my front Tourance is making a noise when I corner, I am sure it's the tyre.

I spoke to someone today whilst giving blood and as a biker himself we had a little chat. (Can you believe that his wife just bought him a Z1000 for their anniversary!?). I mentioned that I had a very minor off and it has taken the shine off my relationship with my GS, not to mention the slight confidence drop. He said that it was like having a girlfriend that has just snogged someone else!:) That's how I feel...

I need to get my confidence back up, put some TKC, and have a bit of fun....

Thanks again, to the fields and beyond!!

A three mile commute.
That's only ten minutes on a push bike.
And no engine will be warmed up by then.

So keep the GS for weekends.
And with the money you save on petrol during the week, buy an old trials bike to ride the lanes the GS wont get up (there wont be many).

Spout said:
A three mile commute.
That's only ten minutes on a push bike.
And no engine will be warmed up by then.

So keep the GS for weekends.
And with the money you save on petrol during the week, buy an old trials bike to ride the lanes the GS wont get up (there wont be many).

Sound advice. If it must be motorised what about a scooter. Some of the new ones are a bit sexy and do phenominal mpg.

Back
Top Bottom