Migsel Mount and two devices

Droopy Dick

Reaction score
I've just ordered one of Migsel's speedo RAM mounts.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of T- bar that will enable me to mount both my 2610 and Road Angel alongside each other, just above the instruments, where they will fall nicely into my line of sight?

I suggest a look in GPS Info and a thread RAM 'tweak a mount' which I started very much for these types of ideas.

The Migsel bracket has a RAM 1" ball so.. I suggest you follow this line... RAM arm RAM-B-201 (standard) or RAM-B-201-A (short) then a 6" x 2" plate RAM-B-111B this will act as bracket. You could attach a GA9 cradle and RAP-300-1 power plate which is also the radar plate (in the US).

RAM-man

I was curious myself, so I went looking for some pics to go with that:

RAM-B-201-A (short)

prod734b.gif

6" x 2" plate RAM-B-111B this will act as bracket

prod2197a.jpg

GA9 cradle (RAM-HOL-GA9)

prod1941a.jpg

RAP-300-1 power plate which is also the radar plate (in the US)

tn_rap300i_jpg.jpg

I'm not sure this is the plate you meant Steve, it's "rap300i" on the US site.

This will no doubt all work together as it's RAM 1" stuff, but I do have my doubts about the weight of the assembly on top of the cockpit, above the speedo. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit much and create too much movement.

But if somebody wants to give it a go...

You're welcome to send me some testing bits Steve ;)

Cheeers,
Michel

I do have my doubts about the weight of the assembly on top of the cockpit, above the speedo. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit much and create too much movement.

I'm not sure about the Road Angel, but if it's similar to my Neo6 then it'll be light....basically just an lcd screen and a few PCB's in a plastic box....

I'm betting there's not a huge difference in weight between a Quest+Road Angel and a 2610, particularly if the 2610 has one of those fancy extra buton thingies on it.

Migsel,

I realise you have a 'cupboard' of bits .. so will send a RAM-B-111B if needed.

Like you I am unsure - I have seen it done in US, but not on the speedo mount. I am willing to join in order to the benefit of all.

Migel, pls reply either in forum or send RAM-man mail to his desk.

RAM-man

I have received the 6" x 2" plate RAM-B-111B, thanks Steve!

I just did a test setup like this:

25829589-M.jpg

25829590-M.jpg

The plate is mounted to my speedo mount with a short RAM arm. The RAM bracket for the StreetPilot 2610is bolted with its back to the plate. On the other edge of the plate, I have mounted a 1" RAM ball and the yellow GPS60 is on a RAM mount with standard length from there. So the 2610 is almost in the same position as where I have it normally, the GPS60 sticks forward quite a bit.

25829591-M.jpg

It is quite possible space-wise, but the lever from the dash to the yellow GPS60 is huge.

I went for a little ride with this setup. On a good surface road and on the motorway the movement is a bit more than what I'm used to but it is acceptable.

On a bumpy paved road the wobbling is too much. Especially the yellow GPS60 moves about A LOT. The movement of the 2610 is more than otherwise but not really bad. So I think the most important factor is the lever length. Second factor is the total weight.

I would NOT want to ride with this setup. But then why would I want two GPS units in the first place? I'm pretty sure it is usable with lighter units mounted ON the plate, without an extra lever. For example a Quest and an iPod, a mobile phone, etc.

What's the size and weight of that Road Angel thingy?
If I have the dimensions I can make a dummy and try that next to the 2610 to see what the result is.

Cheers,
Michel

Can't find the dimensions of a road angel, but it's smaller than the S6 Neo (from the looks and comparing with the cigarette socket plug)-

The S6 NEo GPS box is 72mm high 114mm wide and 46 mm deep though....weight unknown but certainly a lot lighter than the 2610.

The Road Angel is a very 'useful' shape. It's almost semi-circular.

It's close to 14cm wide, 7cm deep, and around 3cm high. Although I haven't weighed it, I'd guess at around 150g.

The photo is front on

Attachments

• roadangel1.jpg
    roadangel1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 309
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do have my doubts about the weight of the assembly on top of the cockpit, above the speedo. I'm afraid it's going to be a bit much and create too much movement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried one on my 1100 but the 2610 wobbled far to much even "on road". It had the short RAM arm too. I tried tightening up all the screws for the instrument assembly to no avail so I've reverted to a handlebar mount. It's a shame 'cos Migsel's mount is really nicely made and the position is great.

Chris

OK DD, I'll improvise some kind of a test setup tonight or tomorrow.
Cheers,
Michel

Michel,

Just seen the pics and read your comments.

These road radar devices are quite light (100g to 200g max ?).

Mulling over some thoughts and thinking aloud..

Can you try it with the gps60 and a short arm to see if there is any difference, when riding along different road conditions, as I am wondering about the arm 'dangle' length vs weight of the GPS.

Then try it so that the GPS 60 cradle is attached directly to the 6" x 2" plate, so you have speedo base, arm (short or long) and electronics base then GPS devices onto the plate. The RAM cradles have two drilled holes and the 6" x 2" plate has a matrix of pre-drilled holes so should be easier to attach onto.

As I say its just a thought and me thinking aloud..

Regards,

RAM-man

These road radar devices are quite light (100g to 200g max ?)
Yes I'll try to make a dummy with similar dimensions and weight.

Can you try it with the gps60 and a short arm
I could, but I only have one short arm and that's between the speedo mount and the plate.

Then try it so that the GPS 60 cradle is attached directly to the 6" x 2" plate
I don't have GPS 60 cradle either, but I can strap it to the plate with a few rubber bands. I tried that yesterday in the middle of my little ride but the RAM ball that I screwed on the plate was in the way :) I did see that it is hard to mount it on the plate because there is not much room above the plate so close to the screen.

I'll do some more experiments and report back.

Cheers,
Michel

Don't tell the wife ...

Michel,

If the cupboard is bare and you need to rummage my 'odds n sods' box for bits then PM me .

RAM-man

Back
Top Bottom