Hugger Question

pauly

Those of you who have fitted a hugger to your GS, have you removed the rear mudguard thingy as well and if so how much spray flies up? I have bought a Pyramid hugger, I haven't fitted it yet but I think it may look a little odd if I leave the mudguard on as well.

Pauly,

Yes, I took mine off (don't think it did anything anyway). I've also got a Pyramid hugger & a Touratech rear mudguard extension (although it's cheaper to make your own). Together with a pair of panniers, the rear of the bike keeps quite clean now. If you want, you can get a blanking plate to cover the space where the rear mudguard thing fittted, ask your dealer (it's fitted as standard on the Adv with the 'Overland' option - knobbly tyres)

MikeO:)

Paul,

I would take it off, as both together looks naff. I haven't noticed anymore spray behind, I think it's just a styling thing / German regs.

I made a number plate extender, simular to Tourtec one, but slightly bigger, I am sure that helps, The is a thread about it somewhere.

Andrew

For those who may be considering a hugger the photos show how effective they are not, the exhaust has been cleaned as it was in the same state as the hugger.

Attachments

• hugger resize.jpg
    hugger resize.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 389
Huggers

After 80,000 miles on oilhead GS's - I've never felt the desire to fit a hugger.
To me they just make the bike harder to clean and from the picture,they're not much better than not having one at all.

A waste of money I reckon. After all it's an 'off-road' styled bike to boot.

Johhny I agree its an off road styled bike but the original "effort" of a mudgaurd is absolutely hideous and well worth cleaning the exhaust pipe to ditch it. IMHO

Have Fun
AndyT:cool:

I've never considered the purpose of a hugger to be a mudguard (otherwise it'd be wider, longer, etc). I've only ever expected it to keep the crap off the rear shock absorber and mounting. My Pyramid hugger does this very effectively and has saved a lot of very fiddly cleaning - everything else still gets covered in shite as normal.

Attachments

• pyramid hugger small.jpg
    pyramid hugger small.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 398

Back
Top Bottom