Ram Mount Security

Airfan

Reaction score
I've just bought my Garmin bracket, and a RAM mount.......................Am I right in thinking that most people replace the big wing nut with a lock nut, otherwise I would think that the RAM mount and Garmin bracket will be liable to disappear when parked.

Rob

Mouse said:
I usually just leave the GPS in the cradle, unscrew the wing nut on the RAM mount, and put the whole lot in my topbox (or take it with me).

What he said :nod

You can tamper proof the RAM Mount but you're still telling me you might have an expensive GPS somewhere about your bike and I just might start looking for it.

In my situation it's just a ball that's left (usually :rolleyes: )

judge said:
What he said :nod

You can tamper proof the RAM Mount but you're still telling me you might have an expensive GPS somewhere about your bike and I just might start looking for it.

In my situation it's just a ball that's left (usually :rolleyes: )

Ditto.
It's really easy to take the whole thing with you. That's the advantage of the wing nut.
I wouldn't trust some scrote not to try to pry the whole thing away from the fairing or whereever you've mounted it.

Paranoia?

There seems to be a huge amount of paranoia going on regarding these mounts/GPS solutions???

Maybe it's just me, but so long as the GPS has been removed, i can't imagine a huge risk of people either stealing the bracket/mount, or deciding that because you have a bracket/mount that they'll rip your bike apart looking for a GPS they aren't even sure is there?

I totally agree with removing the GPS when bike is unattended, but i think removing the entire bracket/mount is OTT...

How many people hear have actually suffered from people ransacking their bike as a result of an empty cradle being left on the bike????

Come on people... lets get a little real here.....

Each to their own and all that, but honestly........

And, of course, all this talk on the earlier thread, about puting a bolt through the RAM arm to leave that and the cradle secure on the bike, is useless if you then need to use the cradle to mount the thing in the car!!:rolleyes:

When I park up I remove the quest from the cradle and carry it with me, but I find that the ram mount and cradle make an excellent crash helmet stand. I place my crash helmet overthe cradle and use a small bowden cable to lock the chin bar to the handlebars. That way, if it rains, the water is kept off the cradle and I don't have to carry the helmet around with me or worry about it falling off the bike.

HTH

Paul

SilentG said:
When I park up I remove the quest from the cradle and carry it with me, but I find that the ram mount and cradle make an excellent crash helmet stand.

Sounds like a plan to me. I don't fancy having to fiddle with the power lead to my new bracket every time I leave the bike and my Quest goes with me when I leave anyway.

SilentG (Paul) - inventive as usual !.

Dicktheleg, my calling card is on the header page click thru for contact emial and phone.

I wish to stress that the dome nut and cap socket screw is a 'tweak' and I use the word 'tamperproof' and never secure or a security device. This forum and thread runs a common theme.. and I mutter, if you leave a GPS on your bike unattended .. its at your peril and laziness.

RAM-man

Steve - I managed to speak to you the other day regarding the bits I needed. You night remember I needed the 276c mount etc. Anyway it was all ordered and was recieved very promptly - Thanks.
Richard

No one....

will nick your GPS, I got distracted one day by some bloke asking about the GS, forgot all about my GPS, came back 6 hours later and it was still there.....Chichester safe place...

Back
Top Bottom