Where to visit ? Where to avoid ?

Gecko

Reaction score
Greeting Welsh GSers. Can you give me some suggestions of where to visit and where to avoid in your part of the world ? I'm thinking of taking a few extra days immediately after the Hog Roast to take a tour around Wales. I'm going to be with a couple of German GSers and we are meeting up in Belgium and heading over the the pig roast. As we are half way there we thought a visit to Wales might be an idea but none of us has ever been there before so where should we head for ? We are all riding on TKC80's so a bit of gravel and interesting trails would be a real bonus. We are all carrying our own camping gear so any biker friendly sites would be welcome too. Lastly, any Garmin GPS routes or interesting waypoints would be appreciated in case anyone has anything. email gs.gecko 'at' tiscali.be.
Cheers
Gecko

Welsh run

....ask Paul G for a good route. He took a few of us on a cross country route from his place in Shropshire and high up in the hills of North Wales .....I think some were goat tracks!! [looking down into the valley's below, the cars were little specks!]. We came out about 15 miles south of Anglesey for Tims 2003 organised bash. It might be to far North for you but worth it for the run/views if you do!;)
Tim of course is another who knows his North Wales.

Despite...

it's reputation.
Most of Wales is glorious.
Once you get away from the urban sprawl along the Severn estuary it’s mostly drop dead gorgeous.

Unlike it's....

No, better not.

:D Steve

.....ah well I guess if Wales doesn't want me there's always Scotland ;)

Both are beautiful with stunning roads but Scotland, north of the Edinburgh/Glasgow belt is quite spectacular and with less traffic too.

Yup couldn't agree more . I've been aorund Scotland a couple of times on the bike and it is just terrific....except for the midges :) . I know that if I posted this same question in the Scotland section I'd get flooded with advice and information. Maybe Wales is best avoided if people think so little of it as a biking destination and are unwilling to recommend anything......surely not ? :p

Actually some kind bloke in Belgium sent me a couple of GPS tracks and a few pics of his tour to Wales and it looks pretty good but how come our Welsh bretheren are so quiet about recommending their country as a place to visit ? Is it true that foreigners (anyone not Welsh) aren't welcome on the other side of the Servern bridge ? ;)

The Welsh contingent are probably all out enjoying the sunshie Gecko. :p

As I'm stuck in the office, I'll attach a file of my personal favourite roads and some useful waypoints. These are good tarmac roads - apart from the road by Erwood, which is an old railway line - now tarmac. I dont think there are any gravel roads / lanes on there yet, but I will have a good think & e-mail them to you separately.

Most of the waypoints are self explanatory, eg Tintern Abbey. Abergavenny Bus station is marked as it is a popular Sunday morning meeting place for bikers, as is the West End Cafe in Llandovery, where you can have a frothy coffee and talk bllx for hours. :p Probably see you at the Hogroast.

Attachments

• good roads etc.gdb
    60 KB · Views: 71
EJ
You're a Gentleman :thumb The GPS stuf is very helpful. I look forward to picking your brains in more detail at the pig roast - I've got one of those old fashioned paper thingies too; with squiggles and lots of colours on it , used to be called a 'map' I think ;) so maybe we can study it over a couple of glasses of local hampshire ale :beerjug:

Gecko. Yes scotland is great biking country, but I would say Wales is better, more twisty back roads, more tracks and no M6 to get there.
Places to avoid are, well my place in Snowdonia:D unless you need a free place to doss for the night, beer, grub, non welsh women..........

Tim

Hello Mr Gecko,

Seems like meself the Welsh contingent have been away all week.

Lots of great routes, you could even visit in Abercrave the week after the hogroast, we'll even let you buy us beer.:)

I'll send you an e-mail with some options.

Regards
PW

PW - cheers , I may well pop by the Abercave Inn for a brew - I have been known to partake. I've found a camp site along the A481 out of Builth Wells which seems bike freindly and nicley peaceful so I think we may use that as a base for the week and head out each day from there. It's nice and central and should do the job unless we find something remarkably better between now and then .
I've had a few pointers form different people but I'd like to hear about and gravel or medium level off road trails that we could ride. We'll likely all be on TKC80s but we still need to make it home at the end of the week so don't want to bend the bikes too much ;)

Tim - I must have missed sumfink but I thought you'd moved north into bonnie Scotland. Did I dream this whilst smoking something my son left lying around the house or have you moved back ? Can you pm me your coordinates and address and I'd love to pop by for a cuppa

Cheers guys
Ride safe Gecko

gecko, I can't say of any off road sections cus I ride a Rockster but I do enjoy smaller back roads rather than the 100+ A roads.

If you are coming from the south, and also like B roads, bit bumpy & challenging, come up from Chepstow area either on B4293 or B4228 to Monmouth. Pick up B4223 to Abergavenny bus station for a brew and regular bike meeting place, or from B4347 through Pontrilas to Hay-on-Wye for a more expensive cuppa. North to Kington and along the A44 for a while before turning left on the superb back road of B4594 brings you onto A470 near Erwood and not far from your camp site in Builth.

From Builth your choices are endless: Elan Valley around the dams & reservoirs of Rhayader, across to Aberystwyth or Aberaeron for lunch. Take in Devils' Bridge and head south again on A4343 and you can pass through Llanddewi Brefi....popular sport at the mo is nicking the village name sign due to it's fame in Little Brittain.

Good luck with your trip!

Gecko said:
.....ah well I guess if Wales doesn't want me there's always Scotland ;)

Heh. I've just got back from a 3000 mile trip to Croatia & back.

Seems like those that know have been in touch.

Your base near Builth is ideal.

My only comment would be to stay off the "green A roads" as far as possible. Yellow & white are good.

Cheers everyone - what a wonderful community we have here. I have had some real good stuff via email including some great GPS routes and waypoints and lots of good tips for roads to look out for so I reckon I'm set. I just need to put it all into something I can squeeze into one week.. :p
Much obliged to you all and hopefully see you at either the hog roast or somewhere in Wales very soon :thumb

PS Do I need my passport for going to Wales ?

PW Cymru said:
No just beer money and a red shirt:D :D :D

Beer money - no problem plenty of Euros available but the red shirt.....? Wots that then Man Utd ? :D

Gecko, I did nearly move oop north full time but for once in my life common sense prevailed. That common sense has thankfully now passed so I'll PM you my coordinates (British Grid) along with a phone number.
I'm not going to the HoG Roast, but am off to Ireland on the following Wednesday.

Cheers Tim

Back
Top Bottom