Digital Camera

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know this was done 3-4 months ago,but the thread seems to have been deleted.
I'm interested in the Canon A40 and somebody put a link to a web-based Camera page on it's features.
Could you do it again please..........??
In general any tips would be helpful.
Cheers.

Found @ Canon.nl - Producten - Thuisgebruik

ISO (Film Speed) Auto, 50, 100, 200, 400
(Auto – automatically sets camera to between ISO50 –150 equiv.)

Image Compression Still image: JPEG
Movie files: AVI [Image data: Motion JPEG, Audio data: WAVE (monaural)]

Compression Levels Super-Fine, Fine, Normal

Continuous Shooting Yes, approx. 2.5 images/sec. (Large/Fine with LCD OFF)

Image Storage Capacity Still:
Large/Super Fine: 7 images [Approx.]
Large/Fine: 11 images [Approx.]
Large/Normal: 24 images [Approx.]
Middle/Super Fine: 16 images [Approx.]
Middle/Fine: 24 images [Approx.]
Middle/Normal: 46 images [Approx.]
Small/Super Fine: 35 images [Approx.]
Small/Fine: 50 images [Approx.]
Small/Normal : 87 images [Approx.]
Movie:
Large: 18 sec (max. length per movie is 10 sec)
Small: 48 sec. (max. length per movie is 30 sec)
[Movies are shot at approx. 20 frames / sec and times shown are displayed as if the movies were shot continuously]
*Storage capacity varies depending on the scene or subjects The data is estimated from Canon’s standard shooting conditions

Interface USB I/F
Audio/Video out

Storage Media CompactFlash™ (CF) card Type I

Lens Focal Length (optical): 5.4 (W) – 16.2 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 35 – 105mm)
Maximum Aperture: F2.8 (W) / F4.8 (T)
Construction: 9 elements in 7 groups

Digital Zoom 2.5x [Max. 7.5x zoom combined with optical zoom]

Focus Range Normal: 76cm - ¥
Macro: 16cm(W)/26cm(T) – 76cm
Snapshot: 1.5m – 2.5m
Infinity: 5m - ¥

Viewfinder Optical & LCD

LCD Monitor Language 1.5" Low-temperature Polycrystalline Silicon TFT Colour LCD(100% coverage)

Shutter Speeds 15 – 1/1,500 sec.
(Noise reduction is used on shutter speeds of more than 1.3 sec)

Power Source Camera : Size-AA batteries: Alkaline*, NiMH**, Compact power adapter**
Date/Clock backup : CR2016
* 4 x Alkaline batteries supplied
** Optional

Exposure Control Programme Auto Exposure (TTL) / Manual

Exposure Compensation +/- 2.0EV [1/3 step increments]

White Balance Auto, 5 presets [Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent High]

Flash Mode Flash ON/OFF, Auto, Red eye reduction on, Red eye reduction auto, Slow sync

Flash Range Wide Angle: 0.76 – 4.2m [at ISO 100 equivalent]
Telephoto: 0.76 – 2.5m [at ISO 100 equivalent]

Dimensions 110.3 x 71 x 37.6 mm [excluding protruding parts]

Weight Approx. 250g [excluding battery and CF card]

CCD Size: 1/2.7 inch
Effective number of Pixels: Approx. 2M Pixel
Total Number of Pixels: Approx. 2.1M Pixel
Filter Array: Primary-colour filter

Recording Pixels Still Images:
Large: 1,600 x 1,200 pixels
Middle: 1,024 x 768 pixels
Small: 640 x 480 pixels
Movie files:
Large: 320 x 240 pixels
Small: 160 x 120 pixels

Light Metering Method Evaluative (linked to focusing point) / Spot

File Format Exif 2.2 compliant

Print Order Format Digital Print Order Format [DPOF v1.1]

Other Features Self-timer: 2 or 10 seconds (selectable)
Signal Sound: Camera Status and Warnings
Stitch Assist: Integrates with the PhotoStitch software to create panoramas

Other Operations Camera Shooting modes: Auto / Program / Manual / Stitch Assist / Movie
Photo Effects: Vivid / Neutral / Low sharpening / Sepia / Black & White
Playback Operations: Single, Multi, Movie, Slide Show, Magnify (2x to 10x)
File Operations: Single Erase, All Erase, Protect, DPOF Marking, Transfer Order Marking, CF Card Formatting
Direct Printing: CP-10, CP-100
Camera Settings: Date/Clock, LCD Menu Languages [English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Japanese]

Supported Operating Systems PC: Win 98 (SE), 2000, Me, XP
Mac: OS 8.6 to 9.2

Operating Environment Temperature: 0 – 40 °C
Humidity: 10 – 90 %

JohnnyBoxer said:
I know this was done 3-4 months ago,but the thread seems to have been deleted.
I'm interested in the Canon A40 and somebody put a link to a web-based Camera page on it's features.
Could you do it again please..........??
In general any tips would be helpful.
Cheers.

Try www.dpreview.com

JohnnyBoxer said:
I'm interested in the Canon A40

My SO has one and it seems to be a good piece of kit (actually takes better piccies than my Ixus, but is a little bigger).

It uses AA batteries and seems to get through them at a fair rate.

I recently looked at buying one for the office - Jessops have them at under £200.

Greg

look out for good deals I recently got a DX4900 for 200 quid plus 50 odd for a cradle and rechargable batteries. Not bad for a 4MegaPixel.

for digital film & batteries etc check out www.mx2.com I recenly got 128Mb Comp Flash for 40 quid.!!!!!!!

Johnny B,

I don't know if this is any use but I've had the A10 version for nearly 2 years, it's been landed on when snowboarding, covered in red wine, dropped in snow while pi55ed [me not the camara] and it's never let me down, only thing is it chews batteries [nicad] at a rate of 1 set per 45/60 pictures, but its usually enough for a couple of days use, - Can highly recommend camara care system case rather than usual high street versions.

Cheers - sounds like a good choice to me.
Can you get re-chargeable batteries for it and the memory card is only 8mb supplied.What's the best to go for - 32 or 64mb.

JohnnyBoxer said:
the memory card is only 8mb supplied.What's the best to go for - 32 or 64mb.

I have several CF cards up to 128Mb. The biggest one is almost redundant as it will take a couple of hundred shots at maximum resolution. That's more than I ever seem to take before I have the piccies printed. 64Mb is fine for my needs, but up to 256Mb is now available (you'd need lots of batteries, though!).

I used to print my own piccies, but the printer uses ink like it's going out of fashion. It's quicker, cheaper and easier to have them done professionally. My local Jessops (in New Oxford Street, Lundun) has a couple of terminals where you just shove in your data card (floppy, CD, CF, whatever), select (and edit) what you want, and press the button. From 15p a print for 6x4.

Greg

Johnny, I have this camera. I am into photography on a rather heavy scale and I had been thinking of getting into digital for about 2 years.

Eventually I purchased the Canon A40 model as opposed to the A30 for it's features and resolution advantage over the 30 model.

The camera has one rather unique feature which is why I purchased it. That feature is an in camera panoramic feature that enables one to actually take several (up to 23) shots one by one using a very helpful feature that is used by looking at the colour digital display on the back.

This enables one to extremely accurately (even handheld) capture panoramic pictures of either scenery or a group of bikes and then simply by pushing the mouse about 5 times the software automatically blends all of the chosen shots into one seamless shot that can then be printed out on a single piece of paper or at same size on two or more pieces of paper which one can then stick to together with sticky tape.

The camera also uses AA batteries but I use 1800ma Nickel metal Hydride batteries using a charger that works on mains or in my tankbag when I travelled this Christmas.

I have fitted out the camera with a 128MB card which is the largerst card that it can handle. This enables (at full resolution) the camera to take about 206 pictures. The pictures are saved as Jpeg files and sort of end up being about 500 or so KB each.

In the optics department the zoom function is approximately the same as 35 - 105 mm on a 35mm camera.

It is a really interesting concept camera with a system of components that you can purchase later. Including a genuine underwater housing to 50 metres depth. I know of no other compact digital camera that encompasses this broad sprectum of possibilities that this relatively cheap unit does.

I have been a Nikon camera user for close to 30 years and this is the first non Nikon camera I have purchased in that time, that may give you an idea of how highly I value this little beast.

Mick.

One more thing, I suggest that you go into a camera store, as opposed to a department store and ask to see the unit running. Then using the wheel at the back, turn it around to Panoramic mode (two rectangle boxes image) and then take one shot, wait for the screen to completely change as the panoramic mode comes up (10 sec) you will then see how the camera utilises part of the 1st picture to enable you to take extremely accurately, your second and third etc, etc, shots.

You can also purchase adaptors that will turn it into a 24mm and another about 250mm or so, 35mm equivilants and there is also a macro adaptor as well.

These attach via a twist and turn locking system similar to a modern 35mm camera. You can check this out by fiddling with the chrome coloured plastic that surrounds the main optic, it turns and then drops off after pushing in the small tab at the bottom of the lens.

I also bought a Canon mains adaptor for the unit for non stop use in a studio environment. The handbook states that you should use mains power for downloading images. I don't now but I did initially. It doesn't take long enough to be a real drain on the batteries.

I can get at least 70 to 80 pictures on a set of batteries after initial powering up and draining them a couple of times. The camera comes with an 8MB Compact Flash (CF) card, I also have a 32 and 128 and I use the 128 all of the time.

I paid $750 Australian for mine but they are now advertised at $640, that is the way it goes.

Most people who have seen this unit in action and the results are more than impressed,

Mick.

Canon A40

:) Lucky old me, Mrs Trotts saw I was looking for a digital camera (and having read about them on this forum, last November, early November, the A40 was the one to have unless you wanted to spend a fortune.) i got one for crimbo !

I am not a computer teckkie and some claim I come from the dark ages in this regard, and while it is brilliant it takes time to find your way around the the programes for saving and editing your piccies. However, that is part of the fun. Also you may need a new printer, and some cracking deals re this. I got a canon printer for £69 which churns out brilliant photos at really fast rate. Lots to learn re all the software which comes with camera.

Johnny:

I've got the Canon Powershot S40. It's a superb 4 megapixel camera, very robust (good aluminium body), excellent lens, as many features as the full blown G3 and offering either very simple point-and-shoot or full manual control of just about everything. There's an S45 about to hit the market so prices are dropping fast. Worth waiting for.

Check out the full blown dpreview here

Or owner reviews here

Simon

Attachments

• canon powershot s40.jpg
    canon powershot s40.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 235
Just found this link on the ADVrider site. Although it's clearly an American site, it seems a very useful tool in narrowing down the right camera for your needs. Worth a look.

MikeO:)

Thanks Simon,

Based on your pointer I bought one today at LCE after doing a bit of my own research/homework. Thanks for the advice.

Alex.

Alex:
Good news. Now you can tell me how to use the bloody thing!
:D

Back
Top Bottom