Samuri sword accident forces bike sale

Lamble

Reaction score
It's not a joke.
Having severed many tendons and undergone 5 hours of reconstructive micro surgery, my friend can no longer operate the clutch of his Honda Hornet 900. It's only clocked 1500 miles.
I don't have anymore info, but can put you in touch if interested.

The story:

His new sword arrived from Japan, he took it from the scabbard, but then lost his grip. Rather than let the precious sword drop on the floor (imho the sensible option) he caught it. Noticing that his fingers were dangling loose, he realised there might be a problem...and he was right.

Reminds me of the butcher who lost all his fingers in a bacon slicer. At the hospital he was told that if he'd bought them with him, they could sew them back on.
The butcher looked disappointed and said, "I would have, but I couldn't pick them up":hack

Jeez!

Can he not have it converted so that the clutch is operated by a servo controlled by a thumb switch? It must be possible. Anything but give up his biking.

Harley riders (posers!) have been known to convert their clutches from lever controlled to foot pedal controlled, dont ask me why, I think it's 'cos they want their bikes to be like how proper bikes used to be, back in 1908! They call them suicide clutches. Maybe that's not such a good idea.

Good luck to him anyway.

Keith

Doesn't sound pretty at all.

Here's what NABD recommend

Left arm (amputation, Brachial Plexus Lesion, reduced strength/ mobility):

In most cases this is simply a matter of adapting the clutch operating lever and some minor modification to the left side switch-gear.
There are several ways to adapt the clutch lever depending on the severity of the riders’ disability. In the case of total loss of or loss of use of the left hand, the clutch lever must be re-sited elsewhere. Most commonly this is a matter of transferring the lever to the right handle bar either in tandem with the brake lever or by replacing the brake lever with the clutch lever and putting the brake on a thumb lever. This lever would have to be made by an engineer, as we do not have this as a kit yet.
Another option is a foot operated clutch although this tends to be less common and would probably require ‘forward’ controls, but can be used in conjunction with a Kliktronic push button gear changer.
A further option is to opt for one of the ‘automatic’ machines such as the Honda 400cc and 750cc auto models.
In the case of reduced mobility or strength in the left hand other options would be, an Easy Clutch kit or Hydraulic to cable kit, which makes the use of cable operated clutches much lighter, or a thumb operated clutch lever.
1. Right-hand thumb brake, using front brake lever as clutch
2. Right-hand twin levers
3. Left foot clutch with a push button gear changer on handlebars
4. Automatic gearbox

no pun intended...oh okay it is.

He's still got an old Bonnie and can ride that. It's just the newness of the Hornet that's causing the problem...like his fingers, it's all a bit stiff.

"He's just cutting back."

Steelyard Blues...

"Temper is a weapon that we hold by the blade."

So please. Always use the towels provided......

SeppukuPart1.jpg

SeppukuPart2.jpg

"Temper is a weapon that we hold by the blade." QUOTE]

Surgeon say,

I]" Stupidity is blade caught by numpty, not wearing chain mail mitten".[/I]

My honourable Father say,

"That'll learn 'im"

Very fatalistic was my old man.

Still I hope we can all learn something from this,

A sword in your hand, isn't worth a Hornet in the shed.

Hi Lamble

Sorry to hear about your mate. If it is any consolation to him, tell him my story.

2 years ago I got my hand caught in this baby's propellor when the restraints broke free. Not only did it sever all the tendons from the middle finger to the pinkie, it did it 6 times in the fraction of a second it took me to get my hand out of the way.
But, six month later I began to ride again. The hand isn't as strong and never will be, but apart from never playing guitar again, I couldn't say the efects were permanant.

Attachments

• extra 330 2.jpg
    extra 330 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 176
If that's life size...

If that's life size with a real human in the cockpit...jeez you've got a big garage and some strong mates...the one parked vertically must have taken a bit of lifting, and the bottles of pop must be emmence (I'd want more than 2p for taking one of them back).

I'll pass on the message. I don't think his reactions were fast enough to catch and drop the sword six times tho', so you can take the honours with that one.

I'll ask him for the pics of the damage if anyone is feeling gruesome.

Back
Top Bottom