Touring Mainly France and some Spain end September, advice needed

unibar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

Had the bike over 3 years now and have decided me and the missus are off riding for last week of september.
Route not fully decided as yet but roughly.
Fri 23rd up early eurotunnel, bloody dull trip to Grenoble using autoroutes ( i figured get the really dull but out of the way)
Sat 24th, Grenoble Gap Grasse, and east a little
SUnday 25th down to Barcelona for a couple of nights
Tuesday visit friends 40 mile west of barceona
wednesday, up towards andorra n260 i think is meant to be good, get over the pyranees and stay on the french side
Thursday up towards limoges in the limousing to visit more friends
Friday Massif central
Sat - Sun leisurely trip back

The main questions are
Weather, what can i expect, no experience of mountain ranges, will they be passable late Sept.

Breakdown cover, the bike will be fully serviced, new tyres and a new battery by the time we go, but i'd like the peace of mind...reccomendations?

Anything else?

I'd really appreciate the input on this as for me its a "Big adventure"

Ta

Paul

My wife and I rode the Pyrenees in 2003. Tremendous fun. I took 2 1/2 days to ride down through France to Barcelona, and then met my wife at Barcelona Airport. We stayed a few nights in the city - one of our favourites and not to be rushed - then rode north through Montserrat, Manresa and Berga to Andorra. I only went out of curiosity (and to get an AND sticker) but there's sod all there except traffic jams and slightly less expensive motorcycle clothing. Stayed the night in Sort. Then off to Col d'Aspin (1489m) and the impressive Col du Tourmalet (2114m), on the Tor de France route. Stayed the night in Argeles-Gazost. Next day down off the mountains to Lourdes and a blast westwards to San Sebastian, stopping at Ondarroa for a few days.

Special trip? Nope. Just get the bike serviced, overseas cover and E111, and off you go.

Thanks

I think Barcelona stop will be an evening arrival, 2 nights and an afternoon leaving. I fully intend to fly back down if the brief visit does it justice. I can't bloody wait like a kid with a brand new toy, all in all its 3000 odd Km but i may never get to do it again so it's a must.

Paul

Hi Unibar,

The road from Grenoble to Grasse (Route Napoleon N85) is great and fine in September. It doesn't go too far over 1000m from what I remember. The ride down the otherside into Grasse is excellent.

I think Michelin maps have the opening and closing months for passes marked on them so might be worth getting some of those if you are going any higher. As you probably know the green lines on the map indicate scenic routes if you get bored of motorways.

Have fun
Gazzr.

unibar said:
I fully intend to fly back down if the brief visit does it justice.

A brief visit can NEVER do Barcelona justice, my favourite city on earth. If you have one full day, I would be tempted to miss out on the Sagrada Familia (as it's a bit out of the centre) and visit Casa Mila (La Pedrera) instead. It's closer and more informative. Plus, you have something to come back for.

Spend the evening wandering about the Ramblas and the harbour, but don't eat there, too expensive. Wander into the old centre a bit, lots of nice, slightly less touristy restaurants there.

Limoges

If you are in Limoges make time for a visit to Oradour Sur Glane, the martyred village which was attacked by the SS on 10th June 1944. Link here

I have never been myself, but have heard about it. A though provoking place by all accounts. It's only about 15 miles north-west of Limoges.

Attachments

• or698031.jpg
    or698031.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 279
As above,
I went to Oradour 2 yeas ago and I believe everyone should go
there at least once.

Mike.

I will be in limoges for sure, as thats where i'm being put up, i will take the trip

Ta

Doing that lot in a week will be a strain for some. Be prepared to change your itinery to suit!

I have looked at the route and realise its a big one, 3 days of really dull riding and the rest seeing old friends and / or riding good roads.
2 of the stops can be extended or shortened but i think I'll be ok.

Still only one way to find out eh!

Paul

Paul Narramore said:
Must get the bike serviced

Or check http://www.bmw-motorrad.fr/concessionnaires/index.html for a French dealer and see if they can do it cheaper on one of the days you are touristing. ;)

There was a bit in the paper at the weekend where they compared car servicing in the UK (London I bet) and France and france was way cheaper and the job as good.....

Touring in September

Unibar

Toured in Spain in September 2002. Superb time in Spain (although we took ferry to/from Bilbao to cut out motorway miles). Seemed to pick any road that wasn't a motorway and had an amazing time on smooth, twisty, hilly and QUIET roads. On some stretches, nearly every corner has a speed limit sign, and they seemd to be very reliable. If it says 50 KMH, you can safely negotiate the bend at 50 MPH and then a bit more.

Weather - we criss crossed the Pyrenees several times. We came across some sleet and snow at the top of one or two of the very highest passes, but only for a matter of a few minutes, and lower down was fine. We did spend a whole day in the clouds, though, which makes riding unpleasant and slow and of course ruins the views. No danger of routes being closed that year, but on;t know how typical this was. As someone said earlier, be guided y Michelin maps in terms of road closures, and utilising green-lined roads wherever possible.

Out of the Pyrenees, it was perfect biking weather - between 25 and 30 degrees, occasional fluffy white clouds but generally clear blue skies.

Weather in France should be OK at that time of year, but have not ridden in the Alps in September so can't comment on that. You will never be able to fit in everyone's recommended routes, but the bridge near Millau has to be ridden across if you're around thatarea (SW France) unless you suffer from a fear of heights, in which case you'll have to go across on your hands and knees, which might upset the other autoroute traffic a little.

Oradour will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up.

Robin.

........Breakdown cover, the bike will be fully serviced, new tyres and a new battery by the time we go, but i'd like the peace of mind...reccomendations?.............

I just came back on the bike from Paris.
I called RAC and got complete cover, thats recovering the bike to a garage OR back to your house anywhere in the UK, hire vehicle (it will be a car) and hotel. All for 38 nuggets.

Oh, by the way, came back on Monday 4th, and the train was full of GS's!

Back
Top Bottom