Engine bars and oil change

wibble

Do the engine bars and stump guard have to come off competely to just change the oil filter and and oil on my Adventure? Are there any shortcuts? :beerjug:

anyone?

Anyone know the correct way of removing the engine bars? I've already stripped a thread on one of the bars :(

Is it ok to just undo the bolts that are halfway down the bars? and then undo everything on the stump guard? :confused:

Is it definitely an Adventure? If so....
1. Undo do the bolts that go through the sump guard and into the lower section of the engine bars
2. Undo the bolts that hold the sump guard to the underside of the engine and remove.
You should now be able to see the oil filter :thumb

What sort ?

There are several different kinds of engine bars, what sort do you have fitted ?

I belive they are the BMW ones that come as an option and were fitted by the first owner from new. The bars have the BMW logo on them and they are the same as the ones on bikes in the dealer.

undo the bottom bolts that hold the sump plate, undo the high bolts on both crash bars, and the lower left hand bolts that hold the crash bar to the sump plate, and the lefthand bolt that holds the front cross over bar -

so when it's all off, you should have the left hand side crash bar ,by it's self ,

with the front crossover bar still attached to the right hand crash bar, which is still attached to the sump guard -

so you only have 2 pieces of crash bar/sump plate to put back -

it's more confusing typing this, than actually removing the bars

Hi Mr Steptoe, you know more about this than me, does one need to remove either of the crash bar lowers to get at the oil filter? :beer:

lukate said:
Hi Mr Steptoe, you know more about this than me, does one need to remove either of the crash bar lowers to get at the oil filter? :beer:

NO -

What a wally, i've misread it - i thought he wanted to remove the crashbars - all that typing for nothing :rolleyes:

Steptoe said:
NO -

What a wally, i've misread it - i thought he wanted to remove the crashbars - all that typing for nothing :rolleyes:

Yep I want to remove them for a day. So I can get the side stand back on. Looks like I'll do the oil as well once its off as well. :hug

In that case, as above then....................
3. Undo bolts holding the lower sections to the upper.
4. Undo bolts behind the throttles(extension bar required).
5. Seat & tank off.
6. Undo bolts holding upper to frame.
7. Have a pint or three.
:beer:

Back
Top Bottom