Aarg, another 2610\NavII question!

sn1p3r

I posted a question a week or so ago about post code and coordinate navigation. People on here said it does it both but...

and there's always a but isn't there...

I've just had a play with a NavII at my local BMW dealer and it can't do neither! It doesn't do post code navigation and it doesn't navigate to coordiantes.

Can someone confirm please?

He again also told me that the NavII is resistant to petrol where the 2610 isn't.

I am starting to lean more and more towards waiting for TomTom Rider now.

From my limited experience, the Pasource can't navigate to full UK postcodes. It won't allow input of the second set of letters. This, you can't just go to a street number and postcode.

Having been used to using Autoroute, I really like this feature.

BUT, why are you going to immerse the Nav11 in petrol?

I have this sneaking suspicion that any electrical toy is not entirely safe around petrol - I always turn mine off when filling the tank.

I have well and truly sprayed my Nav 2 in petrol whilst trying to squeeze every last drop into the tank (like a prat) and getting the fuel nozzle on the rubber bung in the tank filler neck rather than in the hole. It didn't hurt it in the slightest, the petrol just evaporated off. The unit was sitting in the BMW cradle which is bike powered and as the ignition was off, so was the GPS.

All I can say is that I was very unimpressed by the fact that I couldn't navigate to my address at all! It didn't have my street listed, didn't allow post code navigation and I couldn't use my home's coordinates, so, if I was someone using a Navigator II and I wanted to ride to me, I would never have found me. :confused:

It also seemed fairly clunky and slow to navigate cmpared to my old TomTom 3 PDA based solution.

Pitty really because I was really starting to get into the Garmin thing.

After speaking to the BMW dealer today I am more convinced than ever that TomTom is the way forward. I mean you get a bluetooth helmet headset for the TT and it will allow you to listen to navigation prompts, it makes a bluetooth connection with your phone and allows handsfree dialing, it will even warn you when you get close to POI's! It will also be able to connect via your phone's GPRS signal to get traffic updates and route you around traffic jams live as they happen. Best of all, it will probably be much cheaper than a Navigator II Plus as well.

Now if only they'll get their arses in gear and release the damn thing.

I've been using the 2610 for a year and a half and I can tell you it works perfectly. It takes a bit of getting used to, as it does not work like your standard pc program.

I'm quite sure it can find your address, if you know how to use it. And you can navigate to coordinates if you like. Not directly in the Find menu but you can make a waypoint with the desired coords and navigate to the waypoint.

It's true that you can't use a post code in the "Find City" screen. You can use post codes in the "Find Address" screen though.

The TT Rider promises a lot, but nothing has been proven yet... Maybe it will come some day, but before all those features work as they should, I'm afraid I'll be on the next generation Garmin already :)

And as Garmin is very wide spread, you find a lot more data (routes, tracks, ...) for it all over the net and among bikers.

I would not judge the unit based on "a play with a NavII at my local BMW dealer". No offence, but most bmw dealers don't know much about gps. And I would not buy the NavII but a standard 2610. Those buttons are not worth the extra money if you ask me.

Minus points of the 2610? Limited track log features and no built in battery. If you need any of that, take a look at the 276C.

Good luck with your choice :)
Michel

Thanks Michel, you make some really good points there. I am now more confused than ever.

Just had a chat with a guy that actually praised the flexibility of a Garmin\Autocom system as apposed to the TT Rider system.

Damn, I was hoping this was going to be easy...:mad:

MiGSel said:

It's true that you can't use a post code in the "Find City" screen. You can use post codes in the "Find Address" screen though.

Ahem, I can't do it using full UK post codes.

It won't let me past wanting a street name.

With Autoroute, all you need is house number and full UK postcode and it bungs it bang centre of the map.

Back
Top Bottom