TKC80's Ireland/Scotland

Gog yn y De

Reaction score
We're off to Ireland/NI/Scotland in August and my R1200GS is about to be serviced and have new Tourances fitted. Happy with the tyres but was considering whether I should shod it with some TKC80's for the trip.

Obviously we want to see the best of what each of these countries have in store which means several rough routes though we haven't planned the route yet.

The basic plan is to catch the local ferry from Swansea to Cork then travel clockwise around the island, catch the ferry from the top to Scotland, continue to the top then return back through NI/Ireland and back to South Wales.

Trip will be two-up with BM' panniers and top-box.

Here are the questions:

a) Has any one done this type of route and do they have any recommendations i.e. are the ferries from NI nice'n safe for our crossing compared to the more well known ferries?

b) Know of any 'must-do' roads?

c) Finally, the main reason for this posting, bearing in mind the route that we'll be taking, do you reckon that a pair of TKC80 will complement this type of ride or not or will the Tourances be sufficent? I'd like to try them but don't want to come a cropper when I'm riding without Amanda on the back during a spirited ride!

I've just come back from a few days around the Highlands & Islands of Western Scotland on my TKC80 shod GS1150.

Although I did take the 'minor' roads whenever possible, I think I would have been better off with Tourances (or similar). There were more than a few occasions where I could feel the tread blocks moving around or 'skipping' on uneven road surfaces - fun when solo, but possibly enough to have Her on the Back giving you serious ear-ache (plus it'll shag the rear tyre in no-time at all).

Unless you're intending to do see some genuine off-road action, I would recommend a more road-based tyre.

As for any 'must do roads', B-Roads (and even some A-Roads) in Scotland are mostly single track roads with passing places - so just pick one on the map that runs past a Loch or along some Glen and enjoy!!!!

PS. If you get the chance, visit Arran and do the road that runs right around the Island. With all the climbs and descents, it's like riding a bike on a roller-coaster!!!

Back
Top Bottom